PDA

View Full Version : Map Software?

Dude
02-11-2005, 09:55 PM
Does anyone have any suggestions on a good map program that can help me plan/print out roots in my area? There are quite a few out there and was wondering if anyone had any experience.

Ideally, it should have enough detail for backroads or what would be considered "bicycle friendly" roads would be great. Thanks for your help!!

bags27
02-11-2005, 10:17 PM
Dollar for dollar, and for ease of use, you can't beat Microsoft's (yuk!) Streets and Trips. Pretty much covers all the back roads you need and is very easy to use. I use a GPS when I cycle and Garmin's City Select is better, but more expensive. I've also used DeLorme's Topo USA (which is somewhat the industry standard), but I found it less intuitive, though it's the only one of the three I've mentioned that plots elevation (but notoriously overestimates it by 20-30%). Streets and Trips is so cheap, that I'd say get it and see if that suits your needs.

And for plotting bike friendly routes, most programs will allow you to ask the program to avoid major highways, highways, state roads, etc. You can go down to just about backroads.

Orin
02-11-2005, 11:11 PM
I'd pick DeLorme Street Atlas over Streets and Trips for the simple reason that it lets you define your own roads...

It even shows the Burke-Gilman trail in the Seattle area, though you have to trace a routable road over it if you want the routing to see it.

On Streets & Trips, you can just set your speed on freeways and major highways to 5mph and it will pick the back roads for you ;)

Orin.

BarryG
02-12-2005, 07:13 AM
I got a copy of DeLorme's Topo USA 5.0 on eBay for $35 and think it's pretty good although like bags said, it takes a while to grok the functions. I find its elevation capability quite useful and accurate enough. Street detail is excellent.

Barry

OldDog
02-12-2005, 10:10 AM
Garmin Etrex Legend handheld/handlebar mount GPS unit, Topo 5.0 software and Map-To-Cue freebie software to make cue sheets.

Only problem is sometimes my noggin gets in the way of the GPS, as it needs a direct shot at the satilites. If I was to do over I'd look for a unit with a plug in for an external antenna and rig a short one off the back of the bike.