PDA

View Full Version : Helmet preferences

Clydesdale
09-30-2009, 04:15 PM
After a minor spill (thanks to my helmet) it's time for a new one. The old one was a Giro pneumo and it was fine but I wondered what others liked. I know it is pretty subjective, but it's been awhile since I looked and thought some opinions could be helpful.

Thanks

toasttoast
09-30-2009, 04:20 PM
i got lucky - bought a lazer genesis online w/o trying on, and it's been perfect.

i was also looking at catlikes... i tried on a friend's recently, very glad that i did not go in that direction

so unless you're feeling lucky, or can get a great deal (i got a ~160 retail helmet for 55 from probikekit), i'd say trying on is an obvious must

rwsaunders
09-30-2009, 04:29 PM
Bell Ghisallo brain buckets fit my skull rather well....$60-70. I agree that a test fit is a must, as the Giro units don't work for me.

freeskihp
09-30-2009, 04:32 PM
had a Giro pneumo(L)- fit great
Bought an atmos(L)- didn't fit
Bought a Bell Volt(M)-rad

also I hear the Specialized Echelon is a great way to save some cash

maunahaole
09-30-2009, 04:35 PM
Choose a good brand that fits. It doenst work well unless it fits right. Go to the LBS and try a bunch on.

NJC
09-30-2009, 04:45 PM
Very large and can be had for about $40 on Amazon. It is the largest helmet I have come across, and the first one that ever fit me well. Good luck

Bruce K
09-30-2009, 04:56 PM
Lazer Genesis - best fitting helmet I have ever owned.

BK

zott28
09-30-2009, 05:08 PM
It would be nice to see what helmets are more oval and which are round, I have an oval shaped head, I hear that Catlikes are good for that. The Bell Furio works well for me but it is on the heavy side and doesn't seem to vent that well. i take it off on long climbs.

jlwdm
09-30-2009, 05:10 PM
Giro Ionos.

New lightweight Giro helmet coming out the first of the year.

Jeff

John M
09-30-2009, 05:33 PM
Bell Ghisallo brain buckets fit my skull rather well....$60-70. I agree that a test fit is a must, as the Giro units don't work for me.

Agree with this. I have worn Bell's for years and even after Bell sports bought Giro, no Giro that I have tried on has fit me correctly.

veggieburger
09-30-2009, 06:22 PM
I'm the exact opposite. Bell helmets fit too high and pinch at certain points. Giros are perfect for my big ole head.

dekindy
09-30-2009, 06:31 PM
I tried on Bell Sweep, Specialized Propero and S-Works, and Giro Ionos helmets at the same shop. I really wanted to like the Specialized Propero best because it was less expensive and very well ventilated. However the Ionos fit me like a glove and just felt (very subjective) like it was very high quality.

I am glad I picked the Ionos. It is super comfortable. In August I wore my Bell Sweep on a hot, humid day The Sweep was much warmer than the Ionos would have been. Ventilation is a high priority for me and the ventilation claim that it was cooler than wearing nothing at all was a big factor in my purchasing decision. I have not regretted spending the extra cash.

The Ionos is the first Giro helmet that I have tried on that fit my head well. Maybe the fact that Bell and Giro have common ownership is the difference because traditionally either one or the other but not both brands fit an individual well.

regularguy412
09-30-2009, 07:33 PM
Sale mag in the mail today: Ionos is on sale at PerformAntz - $149.99.

If you're interested.

Mike in AR :beer:

tuco
09-30-2009, 07:39 PM
had a Giro pneumo(L)- fit great
Bought an atmos(L)- didn't fit
Bought a Bell Volt(M)-rad

also I hear the Specialized Echelon is a great way to save some cash
Have a Giro Pneumo (L)- fits great.
Bought an Giro Ionos (L)- didn't fit (not close).

mbrtool
09-30-2009, 07:56 PM
From what I have read over numerous posts, Gyro makes helmets for round or square heads and Bell for oblong heads. I believe they are owned by the same company, so it sort of makes sense not to duplicate tooling costs or to step on each others market share . Lazer or Laser helmets are in competition with Bell.

mbrtool
09-30-2009, 08:01 PM
It's Giro not Gyro (Greek taco)

Sandy
09-30-2009, 10:33 PM
Choose a good brand that fits. It doenst work well unless it fits right. Go to the LBS and try a bunch on.

Bingo! Double Bingo! I don't think recommendations for a particular model or brand means anything since each cyclist has a unique head. Since all (I assume) helmets meet safety regulations/requirements, the overwhelming consideration is fit, and that fit is dependent on the aforementioned unique head. Just as maunahaole says- go the LBS and try a bunch. Buy one that fits.

Not even a little bit fit,

Sandy

RBaker2778
09-30-2009, 10:53 PM
Check out the LAS line. Best helmet I have ever owned in fit and comfort.

Clydesdale
10-01-2009, 08:47 AM
We have one shop in my area and I doubt I could find some of those brands in a 2 hour radius so the comparisons and experience help a lot. Also the shop tends to be way high priced on certain accessories so a helmet may not be one of the things I would buy there though I try to spend my dollars with them when the costs are remotely close.

I've got a big round melon-head so the shape comments are helpful. The pnuemo always seemed a little pointy in the front.

Thanks

spiderman
10-01-2009, 11:44 AM
which of course i bonked...
since you bonked your last helmet
maybe this would be good protection.
my las helmet is
as you know
very ugly.
...but if you want to look like an extra-terrestrial
you could at least try mine on
--it's just really squishy wet today--
but much cleaner!

i also have a bell sweep in a large that you could try on!
...it's up at the lake house...
i'll leave it open if you like!
the las is in the office drip drying as we speak