PDA

View Full Version : Question Re Champion Systems

jblande
09-29-2009, 10:08 PM
Has anyone had team jerseys/bibs made by Champion Systems?

I would appreciate any comments on the quality of the materials, especially of the chamois.

Thanks in advance!

Hawker
09-29-2009, 10:39 PM
I really love the fabric they use in their jerseys. However, their sizing is CRAZY and runs small. They also have club fit and race fit and they are quite different. Really suggest you find a way to try on a couple of sizes before you decide. Have had no experience with their bibs or shorts.

Blue Jays
09-29-2009, 11:06 PM
PROS:
Champion Systems SS jerseys, LS jerseys, fleece jerseys, vests, windjackets, and winter riding jackets have all been used by my club with great success.
They have reasonable prices, a good art department, and their turnaround time is truly excellent.

CONS:
Fairly substantial (but doable) minimum first order.
Skip ordering their socks as quality is only mediocre.

OVERALL:
No experience with their shorts, bibs, tights, or skinsuits to discuss chamois.
Their other garments are perfectly serviceable.

Alan
09-30-2009, 06:00 AM
My son ordered kits for his college club from Champion and everything worked out ok. Reasonable prices and decent quality. If you want to talk to my son pm me and I can get you in contact w him.

Alan

Karin Kirk
09-30-2009, 09:12 AM
Their jerseys are my favorites - nice fabric, lots of sizing options (however you will need to figure out which size works for you), good zippers, etc. We've had great luck with their jackets, vests and ls jerseys too.

I'm not a huge fan of their shorts but they are improving every year and I will give them another try next year. I have a skinsuit from this year and the chamois seems good, but I have only done short events in it.

ClutchCargo
09-30-2009, 03:13 PM
just passing this along. no personal experience, but most racers I know who have worn their kits would not do so again. apparently they don't seem to last; also, sizing problems have been mentioned. Degrees of dislike/disappointment have varied.

that said, I had a gilet from them that seemed well made and functioned well. but I have never worn their full kit.

wasfast
09-30-2009, 06:49 PM
Our team has full kits and has for several years. Overall, I'd say absolutely not.

Jersey: race cut is a full 3" shorter than most jerseys. Makes getting into the pockets interesting when riding plus they ride up because of no silicon/rubber strips at the inside seam of the jersey.

Any long sleeve jerseys (Includes skinsuits) have very long arms, as in 2" longer than any other I've tried.

The material for the summer jersey get snags extremely easy ( I have 3) after less than 3 months of normal use. The long sleeve jersey is the fleeced version. It has pills/snags worse than the summer jersey.

The little metal logo pull for the zippers, while easy to get ahold of, all rattle against my helmet clip.

Summer glove sizes run severely small. Our 135 lb climber is wearing size large, I can barely get a XL on.

I have clothing from Pearl Izumi, Capo Forma (and Bergamo), Castelli, Assos, Santini, and several others. I'd put Champ-sys at the bottom of all of those.

If I was going to order my own team kit, I'd get Capo Forma no matter the price or lead time.

Jawn P
09-30-2009, 07:05 PM
Seconding what wasfast said. I have a race cut jersey and the pockets are so high that its pretty much borderline impossible to get something out of them. You really have to work for it.

The bibs fit me well, but man they run extremely small. I'm 6ft tall and 150 pounds, and the medium racecut is snug on me.

salvatore
09-30-2009, 11:36 PM
The jersey has held up well for me, although I'll agree with the comments about the pockets. The zipper is a bright spot, though.

I will say I've really enjoyed the gloves, and even though they have minimal padding, it just seems to be in the right place.

Bibs... now that's a different story. I'll start by saying I'm picky, but truthfully I've only worn them one time and after about an hour I had to stop because the chamois was already giving me saddle sores. They do run small, but more importantly seem to compress in a weird way, almost painful.

jblande
10-01-2009, 07:48 AM
Thank you for your help. If you have any thoughts on craft or other custom companies, please post as well!

veggieburger
10-01-2009, 10:12 AM
I have heard the bibs separate from teh shorts quite quickly.

Try ATAC. I have not worn their shorts, but the jerseys are great and reasonably priced.

Tommasini53
10-01-2009, 07:53 PM
I've done team orders from Verge and Champion. Experienced fast service and very breathable jersey fabric from both.

Champion is less expensive and the minimums are easier to meet. But the jerseys and shorts do not hold up as well as verge. Champion shorts are very thin and the chamois are huge.

Verge...great quality! after 3 years of racing my Verge jerseys and shorts still look very "new". great product if you can work with their miniums.

good luck.

Has anyone had team jerseys/bibs made by Champion Systems?

I would appreciate any comments on the quality of the materials, especially of the chamois.

Thanks in advance!

GuyGadois
10-04-2009, 02:42 PM
Love our Team/Club jerseys from Champion. Last years jerseys were better because they had the large zipper which was much easier to zip up and down compared to this years' jersey which they ordered the smaller zipper. Some of the most comfortable jerseys I have worn.

Guy

Hawker
10-04-2009, 03:11 PM
jblande,

Have you looked in Voler?

jblande
10-04-2009, 07:13 PM
looked at voler, but they cannot match the front and back as we would like. that is kind of disappointing as they seemed the best option other than champion. we haven't settled on a company for our team. craft seemed the best for a while, but their minimums are just too high, and they are more expensive. still thinking and open to suggestions....

wasfast
10-04-2009, 07:20 PM
Vermarc is another choice close to you (Belgium). Verge was mentioned. Our team kits from 3 years ago were from Verge, defintely better than the Champ-Sys.

GuyGadois
10-04-2009, 10:37 PM
jblande,

Have you looked in Voler?

I think Champion System is much better than Voler and that comes from someone that lives just a few miles from Voler and likes supporting the local guy!

-GG-