PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for how to make my father's bike easier to pedal

Likes2ridefar
09-28-2009, 05:58 PM

nahtnoj
09-28-2009, 06:44 PM
You could get a Tiagra-level (4500) compact crank and BB for right around $100. This is 9 speed. It will work fine with the existing FD.

A decent cassette, mtn RD, and chain (you will need a longer chain) is going to run more than $100, even if you buy a used RD.

gemship
09-28-2009, 07:32 PM
don't bicycle up hills, walk up hills instead ;)

false_Aest
09-28-2009, 07:34 PM
*cough* Buy a Ford.

Mike748
09-28-2009, 07:38 PM
Either the triple front, compact front, or the MTB cassette will require a long cage rear derailleur. If its 9spd, Ultegra 6500 are great and not too expensive. An XT MTB derailleur would be fine too. The MTB cassette's probably the cheaper route vs a crankset change. Might need a longer chain to go with it.

Louis
09-28-2009, 07:39 PM
is out of shape, a little overweight, and hasn't ridden a bike in years

One thing you could do to motivate him is to mention the following:

When you start off from such a low point the initial improvement is huge and relatively easy to track. Watching your body improve can be rewarding and a great motivator to continue the effort.

nahtnoj
09-28-2009, 07:43 PM
Either the triple front, compact front, or the MTB cassette will require a long cage rear derailleur.

Don't think so. There are legions of bikes out there with compacts and short cage RD. Why would a compact require a long cage RD?

WadePatton
09-28-2009, 07:54 PM
and there's no shame in walking. fitness will come. until then-love the 39 ring.

also have an experienced eye check his position and climbing technique. nip bad habits/fit in the bud.

Tobias
09-28-2009, 08:38 PM
Don't think so. There are legions of bikes out there with compacts and short cage RD. Why would a compact require a long cage RD?
A short cage Utegra 9-speed is rated at 29 teeth of capacity, and if used with 50-34 compact rings and 12-27 cassette the required capacity is 16 + 15 = 31 teeth. Technically the longer cage RD with greater capacity is needed.

However, the Shimano 29T capacity rating for the rear deraileur is somewhat conservative and covers the worse-case chainstay-length scenario. Many times a capacity of 31 teeth will work OK if the chain length is done right.

Additionally, for all the "legions" of bikes using 50-34 compact but with 11-23 or 12-25 the total capacity is within the Shimano rating so they will work fine anyway. It's only when the rider wants maximum gearing range that it becomes an issue.

jbrainin
09-28-2009, 08:40 PM
Use of either compact cranks or a triple will achieve your goal. They are certainly likely to make him more likely to get on the bike and go for a ride. That's the idea, isn't it?

Tobias
09-28-2009, 08:49 PM
first and probably cheapest:

get a mtb cassette and mtb derailleur this would give 39-34 for the easiest gear.

can you do this???

I'd go with the 11-34 cassette and MTB rear derailleur. A new chain will be required.

This will give him a lower gear than a 34-26 or 34-27 compact and should be easier and cheaper to install. I'd keep the Ultegra RD and cassette you remove to reinstall at a later time if he becomes much stronger.

Likes2ridefar
09-28-2009, 08:59 PM

Mike748
09-28-2009, 09:45 PM
Thanks Tobias for elaborating on my answer. Sometimes I wonder why I hang out here when half the posters only put up BS and the other half nitpick those of use trying to help.

10spd Ultegra will be a problem... Jtek shift converter to take it down to 9spd MTB spacing is an option. I think I have one lying around you can have.

18% grade... crap, that might mean walking no matter what!

Sandy
09-28-2009, 09:49 PM
You stated that he is out of shape, a little overweight, and hasn't ridden a bike in years. In addition, you state that in the 2 mile trip from his home, he will have several 18% + grades in both possible rides. My suggestions:

1. Be sure he has had a recent physical exam by a doctor because he is not young, is out of shape, overweight, and the terrain in his area has some very hilly climbs.

2. I think it is unrealistic to think your father, as you describe him and the proposed ride choices, is capable of even climbing hills that are so steep, even with a choice of lower gearing. I seriously doubt that he has either the aerobic or muscular fitness to accomplish such a climb. A 18% grade is extremely steep, if that is what you meant to say.

3. Forget the gearing initially (of course get some low gears), but have him take his bike to an area that is flatter for his initial rides, for two reasons- so that riding is not overwhelmingly difficult at first, and so that his cardiovascular/muscular system is not overtaxed. It could be dangerous.

4. If he transports his bike to a flatter area and needs to take off the wheels (or one wheel) and does not know how to do such, then have someone show him to be sure he does it safely (when he puts the wheels back on). If that is a problem, then let him initially leave his bike at a home of a friend (or even a bike shop) at first in a flatter area.

Bottom line, my opinion (and that is all that it is- an opinion) is that a ride for someone of your father's age, conditioning, and lack of recent cycling, in conjunction with the terrain in his area, is simply foolish and possibly dangerous. As I have been told at times- Take baby steps. He can't climb a 18% + hill or if he can it will be a real stress on systems that have not been stressed like that for years. In addition, if he finds cycling too much work initially, he may simply stop and never go back to it.

Gearing is important and he will need some really low ones. But to focus on that is silly to me now. Flatter easier rides with spinning low gears. Make the rides fun, not impossible.

Sandy

Louis
09-28-2009, 09:55 PM
Both have 18%+ grades in a few areas...

In that case, road triple in front with MTB cassette (12-34) for sure.

Tobias
09-28-2009, 10:04 PM
In that case, road triple in front with MTB cassette (12-34) for sure.
Or help him find a good used mountain bike to ride until he gets in shape. That's the easier way to go up an 18 percent grade. Maybe easier than walking.

thwart
09-28-2009, 10:46 PM
Sandy hit it right outa the park. He may have been quiet lately, but when he speaks up... :beer:

A newbie cyclist has no business doing 18% grades on a road bike. That's like getting a hook caught in your finger over and over again the first few times you go fishing.

Or, better yet, catching "Jaws" on your first cast... ;) :D

Louis
09-28-2009, 10:54 PM
A newbie cyclist has no business doing 18% grades on a road bike.

If he has the right gears, is willing to take it slowly and he has low-speed handling skills, it's not that big a deal. The key is for him not to expect to blast up.

If you're not in a rush anything is doable with the right gears.

jbrainin
09-28-2009, 11:48 PM
Listen to Sandy. He's spot on. (And he's thought this through much better than any of the rest of us.)

Climb01742
09-29-2009, 06:55 AM
another piece of the puzzle might be to get him a turbo-trainer. gaining fitness is key (particularly in a safe, accessible way.) perhaps he could do some of his rides outside and some indoors? that would give him a way to get fitter sooner, which might make his outdoor rides more enjoyable and open up more terrain for him to use. just a thought.

Ken Robb
09-29-2009, 08:31 AM
If he has the right gears, is willing to take it slowly and he has low-speed handling skills, it's not that big a deal. The key is for him not to expect to blast up.

If you're not in a rush anything is doable with the right gears.

Ah, the innocence of youth.

You were born in 1992. What do you know about old age anything? :)
Ask your grandfather how he'd like to ride up an 18% grade with you.

Sandy
09-29-2009, 09:33 AM

Probably sitting comfortably in a bicycle trailer laughing at his grandson as he was huffing and puffing trying to pull the two of them up the 18% grade. :)

Sandy

Likes2ridefar
09-29-2009, 09:41 AM

Sandy
09-29-2009, 09:53 AM
I think your father made a very wise choice.

Sandy

RABikes2
09-29-2009, 10:12 AM

:) :) That was great, Ken. :) :)

RA

Louis
09-29-2009, 11:39 AM

You were born in 1992.

Don't I wish !!!!

dd74
09-29-2009, 11:58 AM
Just to give your grandfather inspiration, I see 60+ guys very easily riding uphill in gearing many of us could experience as uncomfortable. They are also fast in group rides, sometimes leading the pack.

Encourage him. Big gears are a smart person's decision who wisely know their limitations. Nothing's wrong with a 29 or 31-tooth gear, MTB derailleur, or a compact crank.

Even with all this, he'll still be required to work to get up a hill. He might even do so faster than the other guys grinding it out in more "macho" gears.

WadePatton
09-29-2009, 12:01 PM
the lake course sounds like where he needs to spend some major time.

as for the 18% stuff near home--heckum fire, why not just _get_ a mountain bike. a cheap hardtail would be fine for working those sort of climbs and also open up the options for winter and trails. then you've no reason to monkey with the the gearing of the roadie.

cheers--and the core of our road club is ~63. and some of our trail builder/maintainer/racers are 70+.

dd74
09-29-2009, 12:09 PM
Well, if he really wants to climb those hills, maybe a cross bike with a 46/30 crankset and taller rear gearing.

Ken Robb
09-29-2009, 06:46 PM
Don't I wish !!!!

Well that's what your profile has for your birthday. Maybe you're really so old you can't remember when you were born? :banana: :beer: :)

In any event, an overweight sedentary 63 year old trying an 18% grade with a 24 ring and a 34 cog is still not likely to lead to a good outcome.

Ti Designs
09-29-2009, 07:02 PM
3. Forget the gearing initially (of course get some low gears), but have him take his bike to an area that is flatter for his initial rides, for two reasons- so that riding is not overwhelmingly difficult at first, and so that his cardiovascular/muscular system is not overtaxed. It could be dangerous.

Yeh, what he said.

Louis
09-29-2009, 07:49 PM
Well that's what your profile has for your birthday. Maybe you're really so old you can't remember when you were born? :banana: :beer: :)

I'm not sure where that '92 comes from. I thought my profile showed no year at all.

Let's just say that although I'm not quite as old as Dave Thompson, I'm a heck of a lot closer to 63 than I am to 17. :beer: