PDA

View Full Version : OT: Anyone rollerski?

endosch2
09-28-2009, 04:42 PM
I am looking to buy some skate roller skiis. Need suggestions on brands. V2 seems popular. Any advice appreciated.

VTCaraco
09-28-2009, 09:40 PM
My wife and I have both done some roller skiing.
I've also had a number of friends who coached and/or skied at the collegiate level. In the past, the V2s were tops. As I understand it, the Marwe products get rave reviews.

You can find some reviews at fasterskier.com
http://fasterskier.com/2009/05/the-great-roll-off-fasterskier-rollerski-reviews/

And check out some of the videos of the US Ski Team training
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BI7K55fcjYE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dt_VsLTkdQ

Having crashed a few times, I'm simply blown away by what they do. There's one clip of Andy Newell (his mom was my son's preschool teacher and he still trains around here a few times a year) doing speed starts up in Lake Placid that I can barely even comprehend (the balance, grace and speed is simply amazing).

VTCaraco
09-28-2009, 09:46 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcutRaj5y80

endosch2
09-29-2009, 07:24 AM
Thanks for the clips - motivational!. I ordered V2 850's. I think it will be good to have what everyone else skiis on.

I was on a ride last Sunday and I saw Kris Freeman roller skiing about 30 miles from where he lives. That was what made me get the itch to get a pair. I am sure he skiied the whole way - he does overdistance where he goes out for 12 hours.

mack
09-29-2009, 07:39 AM
Check out rollerskishop.com
These have become my preferred skis, currently, over two others........easy on the check book and their binding mount deal is well worth it.
I should add I've only got about six hours on these but they have a great snow like feel. Sent my bindings to Clayton the same day I ordered skis and 4-5 days later they were on my doorstep. I went with the 105mm speed 2 wheels and I guess I would have liked to try the 100mm (because they're cheaper)?
Nice simple, hassle free design, long wearing wheels, advertised.....and NO tubes to fail!!
Good luck, rubber side down -mac

caleb
09-29-2009, 09:18 AM
I'd call these guys (http://www.gearwest.com/) and follow their advice.

EddieBirdsell
09-29-2009, 10:07 AM
I met a guy in Vancouver, BC a couple weeks ago who made his own set out of rollerblade wheels and aluminum stock. Pretty neat, actually, and didn't look to difficult to do.

endosch2
09-29-2009, 04:20 PM
I met a guy in Vancouver, BC a couple weeks ago who made his own set out of rollerblade wheels and aluminum stock. Pretty neat, actually, and didn't look to difficult to do.

I would not trust my mechanical ability to make a device that I would go down hill on pavement at 25-30MPH. I get enough road rash from cycling.

Davidons79
10-07-2016, 11:42 AM
If you are looking for high quality rollerski, you must watch offer the following manufacturers: Marwe, Rollerskiathlon (skiathlon rollerskis), Swenor and Elpex. They have composite models for classic and for skate. The wheels and the bearings are very high quality. When you buy one of these models you will be satisfied.

christian
10-07-2016, 11:45 AM
I only rollerski classic, but I've been very happy with my Elpex, Rottefella, Alpina set up.

Davidons79
10-09-2016, 08:02 AM
There are many models of rollerskis. Visit the webpage swenor.com and rollerskiathlon.com (there are high quality images) to view some of them.

Cicli
10-09-2016, 08:16 AM
That looks like alot of fun.
No leg warmers correct?

TBLS
10-09-2016, 10:15 AM
I have the skating pair from roller ski shop and they work well

Great service, can save $ if you already have bindings

cetuximab
02-25-2018, 11:12 PM
We have a muti-purpose trail that parallels the river. I am leaning towards trying out skating roller skis. I have classic x-country skied on forest trails. But never lived in an area that has groomed skate skiing trails.

Any opinions or feelings?

Mark McM
02-26-2018, 10:24 AM
We have a muti-purpose trail that parallels the river. I am leaning towards trying out skating roller skis. I have classic x-country skied on forest trails. But never lived in an area that has groomed skate skiing trails.

Any opinions or feelings?

Well, I have a few comments:

Muscle usage for skating is more similar to cycling than classical is. That's why skate skiing is the more common cross-training on skis for cycling.

Classical technique on roller skis is less similar to real skiing than skating technique. That's because instead of using a grip zone for the kick-and-glide, classic roller skis use a ratcheted wheel. In other words, you don't need to push the grip zone down to establish a good grip for the kick - the ratchet wheel always provides 100% grip. For this reason, many people use classic roller skis primarily to work on their double polling technique.\

Slowing down on any kind of roller ski is very different from slowing down on snow. You can't effectively use any type of skidding or snow plowing to slow down on roller skis. If the trails you roller ski on have any meaningful hills or crossing traffic, you'll probably want to get a brake installed on your roller skis. (Note: roller ski brakes are different from roller ski speed limiters. Speed limiters produce a constant drag, so can be useful for limiting speeds on downhills or simulating slow snow conditions; brakes can be applied and modulated on demand.)