PDA

View Full Version : Sidi Genius 6.6 vs Specialized S-Works road shoes?

oldguy00
09-28-2009, 07:46 AM
Anyone tried both? I know the sidis don't come with a good footbed, and with the Specialized I'd likely be using their green orthotic (so could also buy a set to put in the Sidis).
How do the widths/shapes compare??
Thx!

xeladragon
09-28-2009, 08:53 AM
Anyone tried both? I know the sidis don't come with a good footbed, and with the Specialized I'd likely be using their green orthotic (so could also buy a set to put in the Sidis).
How do the widths/shapes compare??
Thx!

I don't remember if I tried on the 6.6 specifically, but when I was shopping for a new pair of road shoes a few weeks ago, I tried on several pairs of Sidi (Ergo 2, Genius 5, etc.) and Specialized (S-Works and Pro Carbon), and I ended up getting the S-Works (they were on sale and the Pro Carbons were not). For me, the Specialized just fit better. The Sidi's were generally narrower -- not by much but enough to feel the difference. I was told by the LBS that the brands are built on a different last. So... yeah... just go try them on. :)

Likes2ridefar
09-28-2009, 10:15 AM
I have Ergo 2 which I think are pretty much the same thing as well as the s-works '09.

You are correct the ergo2/6.6 come with a pretty lame insole. I've tried putting the specialized in them, both the blue and the red and they just don't feel right. I think this is because of the somewhat shaped sole of the Ergo 2. I've tried other brands too like superfeet and surefoot and they all feel weird in the arch area. I eventually gave up and stuck with the cheap blue insert that came stock. I've found them to be just as comfortable as any other shoe I use and have gone on some double centuries a few times with no issues.

The S-works feels lighter when first putting them on and they should since they weigh less. The tongue is not as nice feeling on the top of my foot. it sometimes feels even a little uncomfortable. I'm unable to cinch them down as much as the Sidi but can't say this has any negative side effect. The heel cup area on the S-works is cheap feeling and some sort synthetic leather material. it holds the heel well though so no complaints there. I guess what I'm trying to say both externally and interally the shoe does not seem as refined as the ergo 2. It's much more plastic like.

Ventiliation for both shoes is great. I give the nod to the Sidi again.

I also disagree with the other poster. I feel the Specialized has less volume overall and also a more 'straight' fit while the Sidi conforms better to the foot and is slightly wider in the front.

Overall they are both great shoes. I like the Sidi more.

dvs cycles
09-28-2009, 10:28 AM
I use 6.6 with Specialized insole. :beer:

Bob Ross
09-28-2009, 11:32 AM
I have no experience with their road shoes, but my LBS insists that the sizing of SIDIs is identical across disciplines. Presuming that's really the case:

I've used both SIDI Dominator 6 Carbon SRS and Specialized BG mountain shoes.

...and the two couldn't be more different size- & width-wise than chalk from cheese. I take a 44 in Specialized and it fits perfectly: plenty of room for my apparently somewhat wide-ish feet, anchors the heel snugly, feels like my foot is securely glued onto the pedal platform.

In contrast, I needed a 45 in SIDI just to get the length to work, and the width is still very snug -- almost too snug -- in the toe box and across the top of the arch. Yet the heel doesn't feel snug at all, it always feels like my heel is coming up out of the shoe. As everyone knows, the stock SIDI insoles are schidt, so I replaced them with custom eSoles...which now made the height of the SIDI way too small. So between the narrow width & shallow height, I basically can't use these SIDIs.

I moved the eSoles to the Specialized BG shoes and they fit like a comfy pair of bedroom slippers. (Anyone wanna buy a pair of men's SIDI Dominator 6 Carbon SRS, size 45?)

So I guess that's all a long way of saying the widths/shapes don't compare at all!

Likes2ridefar
09-28-2009, 11:40 AM
I have no experience with their road shoes, but my LBS insists that the sizing of SIDIs is identical across disciplines. Presuming that's really the case:

...and the two couldn't be more different size- & width-wise than chalk from cheese. I take a 44 in Specialized and it fits perfectly: plenty of room for my apparently somewhat wide-ish feet, anchors the heel snugly, feels like my foot is securely glued onto the pedal platform.

In contrast, I needed a 45 in SIDI just to get the length to work, and the width is still very snug -- almost too snug -- in the toe box and across the top of the arch. Yet the heel doesn't feel snug at all, it always feels like my heel is coming up out of the shoe. As everyone knows, the stock SIDI insoles are schidt, so I replaced them with custom eSoles...which now made the height of the SIDI way too small. So between the narrow width & shallow height, I basically can't use these SIDIs.

I moved the eSoles to the Specialized BG shoes and they fit like a comfy pair of bedroom slippers. (Anyone wanna buy a pair of men's SIDI Dominator 6 Carbon SRS, size 45?)

So I guess that's all a long way of saying the widths/shapes don't compare at all!

If you did not have the current S-works model, you don't mention the precise model you have/had, you didn't have a similar shoe. I won't say all because I'm not certain, but pretty much every other shoe by Specialized is a lot different fitting than the current S-works line.

Walter
09-28-2009, 04:00 PM
I have used the Sidis for years and find they work very well for me. Good durability and function.

As I am sure you already know, shoe fit is very person specific. One brand may work well for one person, but not for another.

If the standard size is a bit narrow for you in a Sidi, go with the Mega (which works better for wider US feet). I am uncomfortable in the regular Sidi last, but the Mega is perfect for my feet.

I have not owned Specialized shoes for a long time and have no opinion on the newer ones.

Bob Ross
09-29-2009, 09:52 AM
If you did not have the current S-works model, you don't mention the precise model you have/had, you didn't have a similar shoe.

Yeah, sorry, not "current" at all by typical standards: My Specialized shoes are from 2006.

lavi
09-29-2009, 11:58 AM
Like the others have said, try them on. I find Sidis to be the MOST comfortable shoe, the upper. Your own foot shape will determine which shoe is the better fit for you. The Sidi insole sucks! Price shouldn't be that much of a factor. You are going to have these for years. Comfort is a priority with riding long.

I had to get custom orthotics for my shoes. Now, no worries. I can go all day.

Moontrane
09-29-2009, 05:04 PM

Shoe volume can be important when using esoles. They were never a perfect fit in my DMT Ultimax shoes. In my Northwave Vertigos and now Aerators (2006), they’re a little bit of heaven.

xtrsmith
10-01-2009, 07:00 PM
Both are awesome shoes and both have huge advancements coming out in next year's models for 2010.

Specialized will have an improved Boa lacing enclosure that is lighter and easier to fine-tune. It is hot. The shoes are SUPER light too. Lighter than the Pearl Izumi's in my assumption. I saw them at Interbike in Vegas last week and they rocked.

Sidi has an improved sole. They call it the Carbon Lite. It's amazing... brings you closer to the spindle and a little more comfort in the toe. This alongside Sidi's new blue vernice color that I really thought was pretty.

It's a tossup. I'm starting to like shoes that don't use Velcro, even though the Sidi's have the nicest High Security Velcro around.