PDA

View Full Version : your week of winter training (a thread for roy)

Climb01742
02-11-2005, 10:04 AM
roy munson mentioned that, lately, the forum has had a dreath of posts and info on actual training and getting ready for the season. he was right.

with that in mind, i was thinking: for you, what is a week of training like in february? what are you working on? how is it fitting in with the weather and work? to start things, here's my last week:

2/5 saturday: 90 minute outside. weather was cold but clear. just a strength, base ride. didn't seek out any tough terrain or hill. just rolling roads, trying to keep tempo high and constant.

2/6 sunday: 120 minute outside. warmer. felt stronger. tackled some hills, changed the tempo a lot, some high cadence stuff, then some low cadence power stuff.

2/7 monday: 60 minute gym workout at lunch. focused a lot on legs and core. high reps, medium weight, no rest between sets. trying to make workout both about strength and keeping the heart going.

2/8 tuesday: 45 minute trainer ride in basement at 7:30 pm. perhaps the lamest workout ever on the trainer. was beat after hard day at work. wanted to bag it. probably should have, but i wanted to at least turn the cranks. climbing off was heaven.

2/9 wednesday: rest. actually listened to my body. rare.

2/10 thursday: 70 minute run outside 6AM. snow was predicted for the day, so got outside while i could. didn't really push it. tried to be smooth, light. by the end, i was beat. my mind said go faster, my body said bug-off.

2/11 friday: 50 minute gym workout. again lots of legs and core. legs felt heavy, tired, but hey, i did it. glad its friday.

looking back, it was a good week for willpower but not great for performance. never really pushed myself too hard except for sunday ride. work is pretty crazy, draining. i feel bad about not pushing harder during workouts but got to be realistic. doing what i can. tell myself these are base workouts. will try to be sharper come march/april. could be a rationalization, uh? :rolleyes:

Tom
02-11-2005, 10:25 AM
Sunday: 1 hr indoors, easy spin. Watched part of the 2002 Mt Ventoux stage
Monday: 1 hr indoors, bigger gear seated high cadence. Finished 2002 Mt Ventoux stage and started the next one
Tuesday: 1:15 hr indoors, big gear seated, top gear standing 1-2 min on, 5 min off from about 20 min to about 40 min and spun the rest easy. Restarted Ventoux stage.
Wednesday: 1 hr indoors, top gear 5 min standing, spin easy 5 min seated. 4 sets. Continued 2002.
Thursday: 1 hr indoors, spin tempo seated. When does Rumsas get caught?
Friday: Snored.
Tomorrow: 1 hr whatever I feel like.

Typical week.

coylifut
02-11-2005, 10:49 AM
I'm in Hawaii right now. Went for a 4 hour ride yesterday at a bike path like pace. I wouldn't call it training, but I did see several Hump Back whales breaching and frolicing in the sea. Leaving now for a 3 hour ride at a non sight-seeing pace. When I was riding yesterday I said to my self "wow, I feel light." I then realized it's because I don't have 5 pounds of rain soaked spandex on.

madbiker
02-11-2005, 10:56 AM
I'm in Hawaii right now. .

I hate you...

Dr. Doofus
02-11-2005, 02:52 PM
Mon -- 1.0 easy on trainer recovery
Tues -- 2.5 hrs 3 x 15:00 threshold, 5 min rest
Wed -- 2.25 hrs outside, 1.5 hr on trainer
Thurs -- 2/75 hrs outside, 3 x 15:00 threshold, 5 min rest
Fri -- 1.0 easy on trainer recovery
Sat -- 3.5 hrs race simulation
Sun 5 hrs steady

Climb01742
02-11-2005, 03:02 PM
doc, what are your training for? those are impressive numbers.

marle
02-11-2005, 03:06 PM
In the NY cold my goals are to attain a minimum 50 miles on rollers (during the week) and 50 miles outside (on weekends) -- the '50/50' plan.

Dr. Doofus
02-11-2005, 03:06 PM
Used to be a 2. Out of insecurity, re-registered as a 4 after several year layoff from real racing. Will be humiliated if not tearing up 4 fields, which very well may happen.

M_A_Martin
02-11-2005, 03:26 PM
Each workout takes 2-3 hours.

Monday: Stretching. 10 minutes on the bike. RPM didn't even register. Followed by 3 sets of 10 heel lifts and 3 sets of 10 hamstring curls, 15 minutes of stim assisted quad sets, hamstring massage, and 20 minutes of stim (russian I think...to reduce swelling) and ice. Flex to 98. extension 0

Wednesday: 10 minutes on the bike- rpm up to 60. Followed by stretching, 3 sets of 10 heel lifts and 3 sets of 10 hamstring curls, three sets of ASSISTED straight leg lifts, hip flexor and aductor work, a little bit of weight/balance stuff, 15 minutes of stim assisted quad sets, hamstring massage, and 20 minutes of stim (russian I think...to reduce swelling) and heat. Setback day...less flex when I left than when I went in to PT flex to 111, extension 2

Friday: 10 minutes on the bike - rpm managed to ramp up to 80! Followed by 3 sets of 10 heel lifts and 3 sets of 10 hamstring curls, 3 sets of 10 unassisted! straight leg lifts, hip flexor and aductor work, a little bit of standing weight/balance stuff, 15 minutes of stim assisted quad sets, functional hamstring massage, and 20 minutes of stim (russian I think...to reduce swelling) with ice. Flex is now 123. Extension very 0 (there's a range they can measure, and then there's flat on the table...my straight leg lift extension still sucks at 12 degrees).

Yay. Progress.

davep
02-11-2005, 04:18 PM
Sat 2/5 - 200k (186 mile) brevet

Sun - Wash bike

Mon - Look at bike, wish I felt like riding

Tues - stretching and light weight workout

Wed - 20 miles, a few short intervals, legs felt dead the first interval, better the last couple

Thur - light weights

Fri - was supposed to do 30 miles, but slept in after a too late anniversary dinner

Sat (tomorrow) - 70 - 80, but I have to go into work, so may have to keep it to 50

Sun - 50

bcm119
02-11-2005, 04:31 PM
Monday: 90 minutes indoors, 50 min of which at zone 3 pace
Tues: 2 hours outdoors, flat, high cadence, cold &foggy.
Wednesday: 30 minutes of weights, 45 minutes of swimming.
Thursday: 2 hours outside, hills; medium intensity/medium cadence on hills.
Friday- Microbrew festival.
Saturday: 2.5-3 hour group ride planned
Sunday- maybe some swiming.

spiderman
02-11-2005, 04:59 PM
saturday: 3 hour drive to lanesboro, mn for 4 ice miles
home late and 26 roller miles
sunday: 25 roller miles
monday: 10 noon roller miles
tuesday: 40 on the rollers (10 at noon, 30 at night)
wednesday: 25 on rollers while my wife biked on her trainer
and we daydreamed about ragbrai this summer...
thursday: 15 on rollers at noon
friday: 16 beautiful outdoor miles, 3 deer and a flock of geese
honking like crazy...
tomorrow...by brother, a friend and i plan to take a leisurely
tour of the iowa great lakes...anywhere from 15 to 50...

Redturbo
02-11-2005, 05:04 PM
Sat: 5hrs easy
Sun: off sore arse
Mon:2.5 easy
Tues:1hr on Comptrainer 1 20min tempo, 1 hr weight legs
Wed:3.5 easy
Thurs: same as tuesday
Friday:3hrs easy
Sat: Comedy defensive driving (6 hrs :crap: ) can't wait
Sun: a C race

Ti Designs
02-11-2005, 07:10 PM
I got my new Serotta today, knew it would be here soon and I don't want to be the reason it's slow. I've been keeping up on my training. This week looked something like this:

Sat: 5 hour group ride, a few town line sprints, a few hills. I'm still on my fixed gear in a 42x20 with cross tires but I still pulled off winning two town lines.

Sun: 2 hours at the gym (was a nice day but I have to be at work at noon). Only got to 80% of my normal max on the leg press - Satruday's ride took it out of me.

Mon: 3 hour base mileage ride. I rode in to Harvard square to pick up the team I coach and only one rider showed up. We were both tired from the weekend so it was slow going in a small gear - I'm still on the fixed gear.

Tue: 2 hours at the gym. This time I got up to 900 pounds on the leg sled. Like I said, if I'm not fast on the new Serotta I'm blaming Ben.

Wed: 4 hours, part group ride and coaching, part solo ride just keeping the legs turning over. Working with a few of my riders on learning to set a pace, so it was harder than it should have been.

Wed PM: Indoor spin class with Scott Fader. I swear I was working harder then the rest of the class. It's gonna take some time to get back to pushing real gears, I've done nothing but ride my fixed gear for six months...

Thurs: 2 hours at the gym. This is my light weight, lots of reps day. People at the gym have started to comment about how long I stay on the machines.

Fri: 2 hours on the road - good thing I have those cross tires on my fixed gear, there was some snow out there. None of my riders showed up. 2 hours on the trainer - I was scheduled for 4 hours so I popped in a tour tape and put in the time.

Friday at work: My new Serotta shows up - look out world, I'll have gears now!!!

dirtdigger88
02-11-2005, 07:20 PM
Ti-

Lets see the pix of the new bike

Jason

Climb01742
02-11-2005, 07:21 PM
Tue: 2 hours at the gym. This time I got up to 900 pounds on the leg sled.

so that's 450 on each side. that 10 45-pound plates each side. dude. only guys at gold's gym in venice do 10 plates each side. (and a few women at gold's. :rolleyes: ) dude. that's insane!! thanks for making me feel like a chicken-legged wuss (which of course i is.)

Too Tall
02-11-2005, 07:22 PM
Doof :) :)

2-11 Fri. –FIXED GEAR to work and back incl. 10x 1minutes fast pedaling and some hill jams.
2-12-Sat.-4 hours- Group ride. (85-89% of threshold wattage..) 3 x 20 's some big gear work
2-13-Sun.- 4 hours—similar to sat but harder work at the tail end. 3 x 20 and 3 x 5 minutes HARD at the end.
2-14--Mon.- REST--
2-15- Tues.- Fixed Gear to work and back.
2-16- Wed.- morning- 30 minutes in BIG GEAR / 60rpm PM. – 2hours- 10x 1 minute mashing and 2x 20 Sub LT plus a fe hard hill jams.
2-17- Thurs.- To work (pyramids) and back easy Pilates in the eve.
2-18—Fri.- REST

jerk
02-11-2005, 07:25 PM
ti designs-
congratulations on your new steed! pictures and report please.....

jerk training schedule this week....

monday 30 miles on the stupid fixed gear bike.....

tuesday rode on my rollers and watched 99 liege-bastogne-liege

wednesday the jerk believes part of the jerk was drunk all day...lucky for the jerk the guy who leads our group trainer ride was sick with the flu so the jerk was able to skip out on it.....

thurs the jerk worked late and did nothing..

friday the jerk did not get his *** kicked by a certain guy on a certain red sachs cyclocross bike whose name ends in a vowel and used to ride for saeco that doofus told the jerk he should ride with.....not because the jerk is fast...but because the jerk like a little girl bailed on the ride.

tomorrow...the future? the jerk hopes to get his *** kicked. early cold stupid ride.....

sunday, the long one on the c50 the jerk promised himself with the fancy new crank the jerk put on the c50....

jerk

Bradford
02-11-2005, 08:13 PM
Monday: 90 minutes outside, 45 minutes to clean the sand and crud off my bike :crap:
Tuesday: 90 minutes outside, ½ hour to clean the sand and crud off my bike :crap:
Wednesday and Thursday: rode the nice bike inside on the rollers
Friday: Day off, took the Subaru out on the road, noticed a new layer of sand and crud the town put down on the roads after yesterday’s snow. :crap:

At this pace, I don’t know if the Legend will ever go outside again.

e-RICHIE
02-11-2005, 08:51 PM
here:
http://richardsachs.blogspot.com/

a week of riding:

friday
http://tinyurl.com/4dtwv

saturday
http://tinyurl.com/5do7s

sunday
http://tinyurl.com/3sm6z

monday
http://tinyurl.com/4uakd

tuesday
http://tinyurl.com/65und

wednesday
http://tinyurl.com/4aguh

thursday
http://tinyurl.com/59nqe

thanks for following!
now, where's that bucket of soapy water...

jerk
02-11-2005, 09:13 PM
nice pictures e-richie....but what the hell is up with those god-awful handlebars?....especially from the guy who probably has a shed full of 3t non-anatomics.....the jerk supposes it is just a beater bike.
jerk

e-RICHIE
02-11-2005, 09:17 PM
as a sponsored rider, i use what the supplier
sends. it's a good practice! otoh, the non-icky
bars are on my road frame, and a major parcel
of same just arrived here from switzerland.
hint hint...

jerk
02-11-2005, 09:20 PM
ok....good answer.
jerk

p.s. you've got mail

weisan
02-11-2005, 09:23 PM
nice pictures e-richie....but what the hell is up with those god-awful handlebars?....especially from the guy who probably has a shed full of 3t non-anatomics.....the jerk supposes it is just a beater bike.
jerk

Senor Jerk, I am :eek: you never mentioned a word about Richie-sawa's stem??!!

e-RICHIE
02-11-2005, 09:23 PM
"p.s. you've got mail"

uh

weisan
02-11-2005, 09:30 PM
Richie-sawa, is that the secret weapon you been building for Super Sandy to race against Climb-issimo hidden in the background?

http://alicehui.com/serotta/richiesawa/richie_sawa.jpg

PS. Looking at your bike setup, I will bet you a hundred bucks that I can jump on any of your personal bikes and they will fit me like a pair of well-worn gloves. If I have to make the slightest adjustment in any of the contact points, I lose. No kidding!...And here's my address, don't be shy, the dirtiest one would do. :D

e-RICHIE
02-11-2005, 09:32 PM
that is my wife's (aka "the lovely deb") atlantis.

weisan
02-11-2005, 09:36 PM
that is my wife's (aka "the lovely deb") atlantis.

Very lovely...and you just let it sit outside in the open? :cool:

e-RICHIE
02-11-2005, 09:38 PM
uh - why not?

weisan
02-11-2005, 09:40 PM
uh - why not?

Oh yes, I forgot. You are a very practical man. The bike serves the owner, not the other way round. :p
But I am curious, why don't you just build one for her yourself?

e-RICHIE
02-11-2005, 09:46 PM
"why don't you just build one for her yourself?"

***!!!!!!

deb has a full record 10 mount and can keep up with
the e-RICHIE man on most any day. the atlantis just
happens to be near the lens today!!

ps
i got the nagasawa. deb got the atlantis.
'seems fair to me!

weisan
02-11-2005, 09:49 PM
"why don't you just build one for her yourself?"

***!!!!!!

deb has a full record 10 mount and can keep up with
the e-RICHIE man on most any day. the atlantis just
happens to be near the lens today!!

ps
i got the nagasawa. deb got the atlantis.
'seems fair to me!

okay, okay, calm down....you win. Your hundred bucks in the mail first thing tomorrow morning. And now back to Climb-pal's original post: Oh yes! winter training.
I did the whole season of it for the past two days over my patio. I think I am done, waiting for April/May races to start. :D

e-RICHIE
02-11-2005, 09:54 PM
weisan-issimo
a couple of Formula 303's and i'm horiztontal.
i didn't mean to jump ugly on you!

www.formula303.com

weisan
02-11-2005, 09:59 PM
weisan-issimo
a couple of Formula 303's and i'm horiztontal.
i didn't mean to jump ugly on you!

www.formula303.com

Well, that's okay, you have every reason to do that. I was walking on thin ice when I start messing around with the most lovely deb. My sincere apologies. :) But as a friend, my advice would be to go easy on those formula999, they could become an addiction...or worse get on UCI banned drugs list!!! You don't want to end up like Tyler-pal, do you?
;)

PS. Seriously though, you think those pills is gonna help some with my sore back and arms?

e-RICHIE
02-11-2005, 10:03 PM
"u don't want to end up like Tyler-pal, do you? "

i'd prefer to end up like chance, the gardener.

jerk
02-11-2005, 10:04 PM
yo, you're probably asleep...but you know and the jerk knows and everyone here knows...the atlantis is a nice bike but its no nagasawa.
jerk

e-RICHIE
02-11-2005, 10:07 PM
"...the atlantis is a nice bike but its no nagasawa."

no bike is a nagasawa.
zzzzz...

coylifut
02-11-2005, 10:58 PM
The Mother-in-law and spouse went to the mall (the bane of my existence) and I'm a bit bored. (but, hey I'm not at the mall ;) .

Anyway, still here in Hawaii for a couple more days. Today, did a ride that I originally budgeted for 3 hours, but it took me 2.5. Crazy-wierd, tail to cross-wind no matter where I went. Did one 20 minute climb through a tropical canopy with birds going crazy and vines hanging down. Then, out along the ocean past the point where I saw the whale frenzy yesterday. It's now raining quite hard, but I'm hopping the rain subsides to catch a group ride with forum member Rich in the morning.

I can't figure out why, but I just don't miss cross season anymore.

chrisroph
02-12-2005, 12:07 AM
Terry: Trade you. Old River this evening, blustery and 43 degrees.

Climb01742
02-12-2005, 04:25 AM
e-richie...here's an idea...how about you write less...and weld MORE!!!!!!...geez...no wonder your waiting list is three years long...how the heck do you find the time?...i write for a living and i write less than you do?!?!?!
:cool:
:p
;)
:confused:
:rolleyes:

The Dominatrix
02-12-2005, 07:19 AM
These are some impressive numbers, no doubt.

Ed - what is your racing background like? Since I'm in the NE area, I always have an ear to the ground, but nobody here has ever heard of you, not as a racer or as a coach.

dirtdigger88
02-12-2005, 07:50 AM
These are some impressive numbers, no doubt.

Ed - what is your racing resume like? Since I'm in the NE area, I always have an ear to the ground, but nobody here has ever heard of you, not as a racer or as a coach.

http://hcs.harvard.edu/~huca/about.html

jason

The Dominatrix
02-12-2005, 07:58 AM
OK, he's a team mechanic.

dirtdigger88
02-12-2005, 08:02 AM
you just asked for info on him- so I gave it to you- I offered no opinion about him or his position- what do you do for a living race for team Discovery?

jason

The Dominatrix
02-12-2005, 08:14 AM
I think my title tells you what I do for a living.

As well, I asked, politely at that, for a race background, if Ed would be so generous. A race resume is not, "I race," or, "I am a coach."

Am I going to have to take your pants down?

hypnos
02-12-2005, 08:15 AM
After working before sunrise to after sundown for the past twelve days straight, I'm embarrassed to report what I have accomplished with my training. I did manage to get some time on the trainer and at the gym. I'm finally off today. Going skiing with the kids.

dirtdigger88
02-12-2005, 08:26 AM
hypnos-

I hear you- it is spring as far as my line of work is concerned- we have gotten busy with a capitol B- I have been able to get some time on the trainer in the am- and I am heading out the door for a team ride right now- but nothing like what these folks have posted

Dominatrix- try and take my pants down and i will run over you with a lawn mower ;)

jason

Too Tall
02-12-2005, 04:00 PM
e-twizzler , pic's put a big grin on my face. I can soooo relate. My neighbors think I'm nuts standing outside in freezing weather, steam coming off my back and me scrubbing down my ride. It's all good.

Who said something about the Atlantis????? Dat's a shweet bike.

Oh yeah. Today got out for 4 planned hrs. and felt sooooo bad from this stuuupid sore throat and than magic. Ran into one of my wife's chik racing pals and her pal. We rode and jammed for 60 miles. Does a married man good to be in the company of smiling women on bikes. Life is OTAY folks. OTAY.

slowgoing
02-13-2005, 05:55 PM
no working out here. Completely blew my ankle out three plus weeks ago with torn ligaments and tendonitis. Walking cast just came off so now the rehab begins. So much for starting the century and double circuit early this year.

Climb01742
02-13-2005, 06:21 PM
(even more) slowgoing...how'd you hurt it? that sucks. sounds bad. at least it's the off-season...oops, i forgot...there is no off-season in LA...but seriously, sorry to hear you're hurt...ankles are tough injuries...they're not very stable to begin with...good luck on healing. :beer:

Ti Designs
02-13-2005, 06:39 PM
OK, he's a team mechanic.

Well at least I'm not being called a salesman...

I'm 40 years old, retired from racing 10 years ago. That's not to say I'm slow. In coaching I've found that working with women is mostly about trust while working with the guys is about respect, so at times I have to put the hurt on kids who are half my age - thus all the training.

I took up the position of team mechanic when I started riding with the Harvard team over 15 years ago. It was a bunch of kids who were willing to work hard on the bike but knew nothing about working on bikes. Most of them didn't even know when things were broken. I still fill in as team mechanic when I travel with the team, but it's not my title any more.

Who did you ask and how long have they been racing? There are still a few people alive in New England who know who I am, mostly in the geezer class at this point. I was the guy who said "Hi!" to **** Ring during every race - and **** even got my name right a few times! (if you have to ask who **** Ring is...). I did OK in racing, a few top 10 places in some stage races (anything with a hill), qualified for nationals back when it was the top 16 places in the district. I beat Tyler Hamilton in the 1991 district road race (I know this because I just read the article in The Ride about him, after the crash he took the last qualifying place at nationals, which puts me in front of him!). I was also the guy in the races who didn't take himself too seriously. In the old Putney road race there was always a huge BBQ after the first hill, one year I wasn't feeling too good so I stopped and had lunch. After the race my team manager asked how I did, I told him I did fine, but some of the chicken was a little undercooked...

As for coaching, these days you ain't nobody if you don't have a long list of pros you've created. Guess I'm nobody, I work with kids who start out knowing nothing about cycling and make cyclists out of them. If you happen to be in the Belmont area on a Saturday morning, there's a ride leaving from the Shaws supermarket near WheelWorks at 9:00 - you can see the results yourself. in case you're wondering, I'm not a licensed coach, nor do I want to be. Their program is based on the CTS system which is all about cyber coaching (cyber fleecing if you ask me). Teaching people how to ride is way more than writing up a weekly training schedule. I work with my riders on skills and tactics on the bike, pedal stroke and strengths on a trainer or at the gym. It's a program based on the individuals needs, not the number of digits on the check they write. As such I coach very few people outside of the Harvard team. The ones I do coach understand the value of my time and effort.

The Dominatrix
02-13-2005, 07:22 PM
Thanks for the answer, now I won't have to pull your pants down.

slowgoing
02-13-2005, 08:33 PM
Climb - I blew out my ankle the same way as many, and the same way I did it when I was young, although not this bad - playing basketball. I keep telling myself to stop, but enjoy it too much. Maybe hearing that familiar but dreaded "pop" again before I hit the ground will finally teach me a well deserved lesson.