PDA

View Full Version : Ride in the rain

Dekonick
09-26-2009, 10:32 PM
Go do it!

rwsaunders
09-27-2009, 01:16 PM
On my way out in a few minutes...so much for clearing skies after 10am.

67-59
09-27-2009, 01:27 PM
Sorry, thunder here. :no:

CNY rider
09-27-2009, 01:47 PM
Went out at 1100 this morning.
Got back at 1325.
Rode in a bit of mist and drizzle.
Skies opened up about 5 minutes after I got back.
Now sitting in front of the warm pellet stove with a cozy toddler in my lap, waiting for the Bills game.
Watching the sheets of rain out the window and thinking my timing was really good.......... :beer:

fourflys
09-27-2009, 02:44 PM
If I could find rain in SoCal, I would! :D ;)

terry
09-27-2009, 03:14 PM
always a blast-makes you feel like a kid playing football in the mud. 42 mi in a steady rain today.

rwsaunders
09-27-2009, 04:50 PM
always a blast-makes you feel like a kid playing football in the mud. 42 mi in a steady rain today.

Agreed....it's like you got away with something and a select few know what it was.

jharsha
09-27-2009, 04:53 PM
Would somebody explain to what rain is? It sounds like it would be fun if I knew what it was. :)

Jim

Ray
09-27-2009, 05:09 PM
Would somebody explain to what rain is? It sounds like it would be fun if I knew what it was. :)

Jim
Ahh, come on. I grew up in Tucson and I remember playing football in the mud as a kid. Just not very often. :cool:

I hate starting rides in the rain and usually don't unless I'm on a tour or something or if its only raining lightly and not expected to get any worse. But when I get caught out in it, I usually love it. Feels epic. Reminds you that you don't melt. As long as its not cold too, rain's a lot of fun.

-Ray

martinrjensen
09-27-2009, 05:27 PM
Just like sweat, only sans saltWould somebody explain to what rain is? It sounds like it would be fun if I knew what it was. :)

Jim

Dekonick
09-27-2009, 07:08 PM
Heh - again I want to thank Paul for getting my ass out on the bike... If I were on my own, I would have probably called off Saturday's ride due to the light rain... but we rode. It was a lot of fun - sloppy and drenched at the end, and it was a slow ride (I am out of shape after the ankle surgery... getting better though!) but in the end it didn't matter. As usual, handlebra wrap came through the drenching as if nothing had happened and the brooks was happily covered with a shopping bag.

I think I am gonna go for a ride in the next downpour - just for the fun of it. Haven't done that in several years...

jharsha
09-27-2009, 07:46 PM
[QUOTE=Ray]Ahh, come on. I grew up in Tucson and I remember playing football in the mud as a kid. Just not very often. :cool:

Ray, you must have played before global warming :) We didn't even get our "monsoon" this summer.

Jim

Blue Jays
09-27-2009, 09:52 PM
"...I hate starting rides in the rain and usually don't unless I'm on a tour or something or if its only raining lightly and not expected to get any worse.
But when I get caught out in it, I usually love it. Feels epic. Reminds you that you don't melt. As long as its not cold too, rain's a lot of fun..."My precise sentiments! :)

rugbysecondrow
09-27-2009, 10:03 PM
Heh - again I want to thank Paul for getting my ass out on the bike... If I were on my own, I would have probably called off Saturday's ride due to the light rain... but we rode. It was a lot of fun - sloppy and drenched at the end, and it was a slow ride (I am out of shape after the ankle surgery... getting better though!) but in the end it didn't matter. As usual, handlebra wrap came through the drenching as if nothing had happened and the brooks was happily covered with a shopping bag.

I think I am gonna go for a ride in the next downpour - just for the fun of it. Haven't done that in several years...

You are welcome Mike and thank you. It was a great ride and company wasn't half bad either :) . I have always enjoyed playing rugby, and other sports in the rain, and this ride was no exception.

Let me know and we can hook up for another ride soon, although I can't promise rain.

Cheers!

Steve in SLO
09-27-2009, 10:17 PM
I love riding in the rain. Most people here go to the gym, but I head outside--sometimes on the road, sometimes to a local dirt path and ride my CX bike until I'm tired and muddy.

Dekonick
09-28-2009, 12:16 AM
Paul - how did your B-17 make out after getting soaked? A cheap preventative measure is to keep a cheapo grocery bag tucked under your Brooks.

How is the little guy doing? Hopefully y'all are getting some rest... but I doubt it.

SEABREEZE
09-28-2009, 10:28 AM
If I could find rain in SoCal, I would! :D ;)

Could not agree more, after living in the northeast for a time, I thought I would never say, I am tired of the consatant blus skies, never a cloud in San Diego, untill the rainy season that is.

Charles M
09-28-2009, 11:43 AM
Go do it!

Arizona...

We had 143 days straight without rain.

My wife laughed like crazy because I grabbed like 10 different things I wanted to try in the wet and stayed out for several hours riding around the block and up and down the hill by the house :p

pbbob
09-28-2009, 04:08 PM
just did the 24 hours of booty. round and round the 2.5 mile columbia gateway course. supports the LAF and others. 4pm sat. to 4pm sun. rained cats and dogs for the first 12 hours. 58 degrees. rode from 4 till 11. 80 miles. couldn't see worth crap with my glasses. so sat out till about 8:45 when it had quit raining and did another 99.
those 7 hours going around in circles at night in the rain was one of the most absurd things I have ever done on a bike.

rugbysecondrow
09-28-2009, 04:16 PM
just did the 24 hours of booty. round and round the 2.5 mile columbia gateway course. supports the LAF and others. 4pm sat. to 4pm sun. rained cats and dogs for the first 12 hours. 58 degrees. rode from 4 till 11. 80 miles. couldn't see worth crap with my glasses. so sat out till about 8:45 when it had quit raining and did another 99.
those 7 hours going around in circles at night in the rain was one of the most absurd things I have ever done on a bike.

I read about that, pretty odd event. Might be fun to do with some buddies sometime.

Dekonick
09-28-2009, 09:36 PM
Damn Bob! The Gateway Drive loop will make you batty...

Hats off to ya for doing it!

Did you ride the Terraplane? How much water came out when you pulled the seatpost?

Side note - I still dig the little Saturn Joe Bell painted on your frame.

Tobias
09-28-2009, 09:52 PM
For me getting wet was more of a common occurrence prior to advances in Weather radar. Now riding in rain rarely happens unless it is intentional.

A couple of weeks ago I went out for a ride without first checking the radar and got soaked for the first time in 2 years. And it turned out to be fun. Plus good practice riding on slick roads. Maybe improvements in technology are not always for the better. :rolleyes:

pbbob
09-29-2009, 08:49 AM
Damn Bob! The Gateway Drive loop will make you batty...

Hats off to ya for doing it!

Did you ride the Terraplane? How much water came out when you pulled the seatpost?

Side note - I still dig the little Saturn Joe Bell painted on your frame.

rode the old serotta set up as a single speed with clips and straps during the rain. it's 75 parallel 57/57 with high bottom bracket, 60" gearing. that was also a bit ridiculous.
rode the kirk during the day. it's the perfect platform.

RPS
09-29-2009, 12:59 PM
For me getting wet was more of a common occurrence prior to advances in Weather radar. Now riding in rain rarely happens unless it is intentional.And sometimes like this morning it keeps you from riding when you could have gone out. :(

We had bad thunderstorms headed our way this morning so I stayed home, and in retrospect I had plenty of time to get in a good ride.

zott28
09-29-2009, 01:26 PM
Does riding across the Golden Gate Bridge count, I get really wet in that fog. And the temperature change is a trip too, 68 in the city- 50 on the bridge- 90 in Marin. Other than that it doesn't rain until December here.

Here's Friday.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3480/3953764305_a10a438b44_b.jpg

Z3c
09-29-2009, 05:10 PM
What is this "rain" thing you are discussing here?? It sounds like something that could take the fun out of riding... sure glad we don't have any of that here!

Another sunny day here..

Scott