PDA

View Full Version : I have the carbon "itch"....

bkboom123
09-25-2009, 05:51 PM
So I am feeling the carbon "itch" and started looking around. I have come across a company called pedal force that had some mostly positive reviews and you can't beat the price.

Does anyone here have a first hand review of a pedal force carbon bike?

Or something similar like neuvation, rossetti, etc?

I am looking for a bang for the buck value carbon frame, the components are set, just need to feed the carbon itch.

Ozz
09-25-2009, 06:08 PM
How is it different from your current bike?

What do you expect the different material to do for you?

I ask myself these questions whenever I get the carbon itch.....hence, I still just have my steel and ti bikes.

Maybe someday.....

:beer:

NateM
09-25-2009, 06:25 PM
Lots of info over at weight weenies, heres a selection of posts
http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/search.php?keywords=Pedalforce&terms=all&author=&sc=1&sf=all&sk=t&sd=d&sr=posts&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

Dekonick
09-25-2009, 08:20 PM
Funny - I still have the Ti and steel itch. I am still suffering from my carbon exposure from years long past...

Acotts
09-25-2009, 08:50 PM
Whats that scratching sound I hear.

Oh my, it's...

Lifelover
09-25-2009, 10:40 PM
So I am feeling the carbon "itch" and started looking around. I have come across a company called pedal force that had some mostly positive reviews and you can't beat the price.

Does anyone here have a first hand review of a pedal force carbon bike?

Or something similar like neuvation, rossetti, etc?

I am looking for a bang for the buck value carbon frame, the components are set, just need to feed the carbon itch.

There have been quite a few positive reviews about Pedal force bikes. For the most part everyone agrees that they are a good deal.

Go beyond a "good deal". Get a good brand name carbon bike used. If you can't afford a good used CF Serotta, go with one of the brand names. They all make damn good bikes.

scottaharper
09-25-2009, 11:07 PM
I bought a Pedal Force ZX3 earlier this year and have been very happy with it. I have put about 800 happy miles on it. I am 6'5", 250 lbs, and it has been plenty stiff enough to keep me happy. I have not ridden a lot of carbon bikes, but this frame is definitely stiff enough, and at the same time more forgiving than my Ti and steel bikes.

I was happy enough that I was about the buy an RS2 for my wife. She would have it now, but the smallest size only comes with one set of water bottle bolts. This is not true of the other sizes, but my wife needed the smallest frame and more than one bottle cage.

I have no problem believing that more expensive frames ride better, but I can not believe that they are enough better to make me regret my decision when I consider price.

Scott

thwart
09-26-2009, 12:25 AM
Just built up a Look 481 SL.

Shook my world, and... changed my view of carbon bikes... :banana:

I'd agree with those who suggest a lightly used or NOS high end carbon frame is your best bet here.

sjbraun
09-26-2009, 08:35 AM
I too was bitten by the CF bug. Last June I found a 2007, NOS Look 585 offered on Ebay. The 09 model differs from the 07 only in the paint scheme and head set.

I paid $1500 for the frame and fork (with full warranty because I bought from a Look authorized dealer.) 09 models list for $3000.

And, its a really nice riding bike. Actually, it rides a lot like my Marcelo, just lighter and faster.

There are several 585s on Ebay right now.

I don't regret my experiment with CF at all.

I do regret spending less time on my Pegoretti.

Steve

1centaur
09-26-2009, 10:06 AM
In the same vein as Pedal Force, which gets consistently positive comments, look at the NEO Exile (search weightweenies). There's something really good looking about that bike, and $750 counts as a bargain. The company owner posts on WW all the time.

snah
09-26-2009, 10:20 AM
When comparing a new Pedal Force to an older frame, what's the difference between them and say an older Lemond OCLV, like the one listed in classifieds?

Michael Maddox
09-26-2009, 10:35 AM
I have had two ZX3's, and found that model particularly stiff and fun. Compared to my Ridley Excalibur, I'm hard pressed to tell the difference in the frame and ride quality.

I'm 6'3" and 227#. The ZX3 is light, quick, and responsive even under me. I never felt it to be cheap or flimsy or anything less than the major-name carbon that I've tried.

In addition, the company was great and communicative with me, through all my questions.

In fact, I think I still have a PedalForce ZX3 frame in a box. If you ride an XL, drop me a line.

Anyway, this is the build I did a couple of years ago. (And yes, I DID flip the freaking stem once my flexibility came back. That hurts ME to look at it.)

http://oldfartcycling.org/__oneclick_uploads/2008/04/zx3_first_build_2.jpg

Marcusaurelius
09-26-2009, 11:31 AM
I'm actually moving in the opposite direction and just put a steel fork on my road bike (had a carbon on it before). I suppose carbon is light and reasonably smooth riding but it's just missing something that steel has.

WadePatton
09-26-2009, 12:18 PM
i 'bout fell outta the chair when i read snobbie's osteo-angle. from bsnyc a few days ago:

Crabonification is the bicycle equivalent of osteoporosis, in that it simply involves everything getting less dense and more brittle over time. With road cycling having reached near-total crabonification years ago, it's only natural that the frame-wasting disease is now afflicting cyclocross.

to each his own itch. ;)

no, i'm not pickin' a fight, just spreading some neat words.

Walter
09-26-2009, 05:32 PM
I have ridden a Colnago C50 for the last several years and love it. This week at Interbike I rode a Willier Cento 1 and a Trek Madone 6...both were the equal of the Colnago.

bkboom123
09-27-2009, 03:24 PM
wish i was an XL.....but that would have been too easy on me now wouldnt it

caleb
09-27-2009, 08:39 PM
I raced an RS2 last season, an it was a nice, cheap bike. The rear end was a little odd, in a wishy-washy sort of way. Not bad for the money; I'd buy one again under the right circumstances.

nicrump
09-28-2009, 07:49 AM
i 'bout fell outta the chair when i read snobbie's osteo-angle. from bsnyc a few days ago:

to each his own itch. ;)

no, i'm not pickin' a fight, just spreading some neat words.

sounds like oxidation, or rust.

malcolm
09-28-2009, 07:55 AM
About what size are you looking for?

JMerring
09-28-2009, 09:51 AM
my advice if you get the carbon itch - unless you have $$ to spend on a really high-end frame, don't scratch it. all you'd be getting is an expensive piece of plastic.

Michael Maddox
09-28-2009, 10:03 AM
While, in general, I agree with the sentiment that an expensive carbon frame (Parlee, Serotta, Calfee, Look, etc.) is a worthwhile investment, I must reiterate that if you just want to play with something equal to most consumer-line or factory frames, a Pedal Force or similar off-brand is a good, inexpensive way to go. They're excellent bikes, if nothing NEAR the quality of something more boutique.

I'll spend my good money on custom, but keep the toys a bit cheaper.

blschaefer1
09-28-2009, 12:17 PM
Including Orbea's (Opal and Orca) , Colnago's (Extreme C, C50), Look 585, etc. but the Look 595 Origin is hands down the finest example of the breed in my humble opinion. This bike and my Ottrott, I want for nothing more.