PDA

View Full Version : FS: NIB Shimano FC-R700 Compact Crankset, 50x34, 172.5mm

anomaly
09-25-2009, 06:50 AM
NIB Shimano FC-R700 Compact Crankset, 50x34, 172.5mm crank arms, $90 shipped in CONUS, no bb

imroba
10-06-2009, 05:57 PM
I have Dura Ace 9spd (7700) with a braze-on front der.

Will this crank work in that setup?

Pete Serotta
10-06-2009, 06:21 PM
probably....

the reason I say that is that the limiting factor will be if the brazon allows the front DER to be lowered enough. It probably does and 90+% of the ones I have seen that went to a compact were fine.

vqdriver
10-06-2009, 06:46 PM
most braze ons should allow enough of an adjustment down to work, mine did.

one note, i ran a 9 sp chain with this crank and i did get some chain rub on the big ring when crossed with the two smallest cogs. i just avoided that gear combo and all else worked fine. someone did mention that with different chainlines, it could be avoided altogether but i was too lazy to follow up on it.

anomaly
10-06-2009, 08:56 PM
It should but I've decided to use the cranks on my 86 Paramount and build a commuter out of it.

imroba
10-07-2009, 10:02 AM
i did get some chain rub on the big ring when crossed with the two smallest cogs. i just avoided that gear combo and all else worked fine.

By smallest cogs, I assume you mean the left-most cogs/easiest gears? If you mean the smallest tooth-count cogs on the right side, that's a different story. Thanks...

vqdriver
10-07-2009, 01:24 PM
By smallest cogs, I assume you mean the left-most cogs/easiest gears? If you mean the smallest tooth-count cogs on the right side, that's a different story. Thanks...

nope, the smallest cogs.
the hardest/highest gears crossed with the small ring would pull the chain sufficiently out towards the large ring that it would just catch on the shifting pins and skip.

let me note again that others have used this crank without this issue. maybe a spacer to change the chainline is all that's required, or maybe a longer chainstay would do it. but that's just been my experience. it's been a great crankset otherwise and doesn't require a special front dr.