PDA

View Full Version : Modern Day bicycles as investments ?

Smiley
02-10-2005, 07:20 PM
I am truly amazed at how many modern day bikes I see being sold off as having been used very little or not at all . Talk about depreciation . I am really sorry to see the sellers taking such a bad hit on price for these gently used frames . What makes these bikes take an even bigger hit is when they are of SPECIAL geometry . Most average buyers have no clue what the effect of these specials will have on their own fit so these bikes languish un-sold . I feel your pain , what's the moral to the story , please clue me in cause I don't know .
Maybe you can own too many bikes that are never ridden ? Sorry I am not the size of some of the collectors on this forum cause baby I'd buy all your seconds or hand me downs . The Captain that bought a worn out 21 ft sailboat and has seen it appreciate over the 4 years of ownership .

RichMc
02-10-2005, 07:27 PM
I think you'd have to get into the class of a Colnago CF-3 to have a collectible modern bike. That might even be a push. There are collectible bikes but they are almost as few as those who would buy them years later. Get them 'cause you know what they are. Maybe some of your friends do too.

Sandy
02-10-2005, 08:25 PM
Perhaps some of the new technology fancy dancy bikes of today will be the old traditional bike of tomorrow. The mixed material bike of today might replace the steel bike of today in the evolving history of bikes.

Replacing the dinasour in a few more years,

Fossil Sandy

vaxn8r
02-10-2005, 08:25 PM
I too will never understand buying a high end bike and not riding it. A bike is simply not an investment. It might lose less or hold value more than another bike but I doubt they keep up with inflation over time. If you got it you might as well ride it.

I see so many custom geometry bikes for sale. Many of them have hardly been ridden. Hey if you make it custom for "you" plan on keeping it because it's pretty much worthless, to me anyway. Why anyone would buy someone else's custom rig is a mystery.

bcm119
02-10-2005, 08:38 PM
I always take those ads that say "very low miles!" with a grain of salt. I'm sure there are lots of barely ridden bikes for sale, but just as many sellers are probably exaggerating the condition of their bikes. That said, it doesn't really matter, they are still losing alot of their money. I've never sold a bike that I liked to get a new one I might like better. It is never worth it to me.