PDA

View Full Version : how would you describe shimano wheels

vqdriver
09-23-2009, 12:47 AM
For the normal reasons, money, lazy, wife, money, I've not used many different wheelset and tend to just ride what I've got forever.

So for those who can compare, how would you describe the ride qualities of a mid range , say ultegra, wheelset?

bfd
09-23-2009, 01:08 AM
When you ask about "ultegra wheels" are you talking about the pre-built boutiques sold by shimano or wheels with ultegra hubs? Personally, I use handbuilt wheels with shimano hubs and have no experience with the pre-built boutiques.

What I like about Shimano hubs is that they are smooth and quiet. I have a couple of sets of wheels with DA 7700 rear hubs and love them. They're fairly light, easy to service and extremely quiet. Since I started commuting to work to get some extra miles in, I can roll in and out of my office without anyone noticing. Can't say the same for my Campy or White Industries hub wheels. Both of those wheels make a racket in comparison.

For the money, its hard to beat Shimano or even Campy for that matter. Good Luck!

sw3759
09-23-2009, 01:24 AM
i've used the ultegra 6600 pre-builts quite a bit they look nice,have really smooth bearings and hold up well but i still get some front wheel oscillation at higher speeds,high 30-40mph range and up but i get that with all aero type wheels nothing scary but you notice it.may be my weight(145).
unless you are getting a really great deal i would stick with 32 spoke 3x handbuilts w/d-a or ultegra hubs and open pro/aerohead/rr 1.1 rims.they are pretty much the benchmark for most folks.unless you want the tubeless 6700 wheels that is.ymmv.

Scott

rpm
09-23-2009, 10:14 AM
I've had the Ultegra 6600 wheels on my Serotta for the past year, and they have been trouble free. They feel faster than my old dura ace/open pro/cxp 33 wheels and just as comfortable They aren't as nice as the Hed Ardennes on my Strong, but they're quite good and less expensive. I got them at REI using one of their frequent 20% off member coupons, so the price was less than a set of handbuilts.

RPS
09-23-2009, 10:41 AM
For the normal reasons, money, lazy, wife, money, I've not used many different wheelset and tend to just ride what I've got forever.

That in itself is great endorsement for the wheels you have today. :beer:

Pete Serotta
09-23-2009, 11:14 AM
I have had Ultegra hubs and Dura Ace Hubs with Open Pro Rims and they have never given a bit of trouble.

On the HSG, I took to Vermont, I had 1380 Shimano wheels (not tubeless) and I can not say enough good about them. Over dirt and rough roads for 300 miles and not a problem. Only have about 500 on them now and have to say they are one of the best riding wheels I have ever ridden.

vqdriver
09-23-2009, 11:33 AM
i should have specified that i was thinking of the prebuilt wheels, like the 6600 or 6700

i figure if i'm gonna drop for customs builts, i'd prolly try out a pair of HED wheels for the c2 rims. but wanted to know if the shimano wheels were any good since they seem to always be on sale somewhere.

vqdriver
09-23-2009, 11:35 AM
That in itself is great endorsement for the wheels you have today. :beer:

true

downside to that is that i didn't realize how much i disliked my ksyriums (which i rode for years) until i switched to campy and got a used eurus wheelset.

Jeff N.
09-23-2009, 05:14 PM
I have ridden 6600 prebuilt wheels with no complaints whatsoever. They're quite strong and stiff. Jeff N.

CNY rider
09-23-2009, 06:07 PM
i should have specified that i was thinking of the prebuilt wheels, like the 6600 or 6700

i figure if i'm gonna drop for customs builts, i'd prolly try out a pair of HED wheels for the c2 rims. but wanted to know if the shimano wheels were any good since they seem to always be on sale somewhere.

I have the Shimano tubeless DA pre-builts, with Hutchinson tubeless.
The ride quality is superb, and they appear to be well made just like all the other Shimano wheels/hubs that I have seen.
I also have the ubiquitous Ultegra/OP wheelsets that just keep going forever.
I'm sure you can spend more but I don't think you can buy better quality that what Shimano puts out in their hubs and wheels.

JonB
09-23-2009, 07:38 PM
I have a set of the latest DA tubeless offering with the Hutchinson tires and absolutely love them. I've done a few crits on them and am amazed with how much they feel like a good set of sewups.

Also, for 2010, Shimano will be offering this wheelset in the Ultegra line. It'll be approx 1600 grams and just as smooth.

pjmsj21
09-24-2009, 08:29 AM
I have been riding a set of WH-R600's which if I am correct is Shimano's Ultegra 2007 version.

I find these to be durable wheels that roll fast and need (so far) little maintenance. I was a bit dubious moving to factory built wheels as I had been riding a set of handbuilt Centaur/Aerohead wheels on my other bike. However I have to say that I have no complaint with these wheels and I am not a lightweight at 190.

Pat Mc

Ray
09-24-2009, 08:55 AM
I have a set of the DA tubeless wheels also, but the new carbon rim version (with alu braking surface bonded on). Incredible riding wheels, very light and easy to accelerate, smooth riding, roll well, etc, etc, etc. But the rear wheel came out of true after a couple of months and it won't hold a true for more than one or two rides now. I've trued 'em, I've had my shop true 'em. Very careful about the spoke tension. No good. Really bums me out because they're probably the nicest riding wheels I've ever had, but they don't seem to be everyday wheels. For reference, I weigh 165 and am notoriously easy on equipment. I also have a set of Fulcrum racing zero tubeless that are built more like Ksyriums with the big bladed alu spokes, and they ride more like Ksyriums also. But, also like Ksyriums, they seem to be bullet proof. I've ridden them in some much rougher conditions than the Shimanos and haven't had to touch them.

-Ray

bfd
09-24-2009, 11:57 AM
I have a set of the DA tubeless wheels also, but the new carbon rim version (with alu braking surface bonded on). Incredible riding wheels, very light and easy to accelerate, smooth riding, roll well, etc, etc, etc. But the rear wheel came out of true after a couple of months and it won't hold a true for more than one or two rides now. I've trued 'em, I've had my shop true 'em. Very careful about the spoke tension. No good. Really bums me out because they're probably the nicest riding wheels I've ever had, but they don't seem to be everyday wheels. For reference, I weigh 165 and am notoriously easy on equipment. I also have a set of Fulcrum racing zero tubeless that are built more like Ksyriums with the big bladed alu spokes, and they ride more like Ksyriums also. But, also like Ksyriums, they seem to be bullet proof. I've ridden them in some much rougher conditions than the Shimanos and haven't had to touch them.

-Ray

Something doesn't sound right. Since the wheels are DA, I believe it falls under the 3 year warranty. If so, perhaps you should consider sending them back to Shimano for an examination. At the least, you may want to have your LBS inquire. Good Luck!

Ray
09-24-2009, 12:47 PM
Something doesn't sound right. Since the wheels are DA, I believe it falls under the 3 year warranty. If so, perhaps you should consider sending them back to Shimano for an examination. At the least, you may want to have your LBS inquire. Good Luck!
Yeah, I'm talking to my LBS about doing that. We're trying to work with the wheel a little longer to try to isolate the problem (seems like the same spoke is always the initial culprit), but may very well end up dealing with Shimano.

-Ray

lavi
09-24-2009, 05:37 PM
I have the 7800 factory wheels. Although I don't use them anymore, I've moved on, they are/were a GREAT wheelset. I never had one issue ever. Still as true as the day they were new. I just wanted to be snobby and have some DT handbuilt wheels in the off chance I blew a spoke while be out in the middle of nowhere without cell coverage.

My 7800's are for sale if you're looking for a deal.

rnhood
09-24-2009, 08:25 PM
I have a pair of 7850-24CL's and, absolutely love them. Outstanding clincher wheels - braking, stiffness, weight, reliability and even fairly areo. I am in the market for a pair of the tubless version and, this will be my next wheel purchase.

CaptStash
09-24-2009, 08:34 PM
I too have a set of DA 7800's. Unlike some, I am notoriously hard on my equipment. I weigh upwards of 175 and have about 5000 miles on them. Had to true the rear wheel once and that was it. Light, supple and spins up like a dream. They compare very favorable to the Campy Eurus' I have on my IF. Plus thay can often be had used for $300 plus or minus depending on your luck.

CaptStash....

Waldo
09-25-2009, 12:06 PM
I have two years on pre-built Shimano 7800 wheels and I love them dearly. And I am a Campy guy otherwise.

torquer
09-25-2009, 01:52 PM
I have a pair of 7850-24CL's and, absolutely love them. Outstanding clincher wheels - braking, stiffness, weight, reliability and even fairly areo. I am in the market for a pair of the tubless version and, this will be my next wheel purchase.

These?
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/images/shimano-duraace-cl-med.jpg
DA 7850 50mm carbon clinchers, not shown in Shimano's USA product line-up, but available for a while from UK e-tailers (plus a Singapore-based eBay seller, which I would take a pass on). No mention of tubeless, though.

Anybody try these yet?

chickenkiev
09-25-2009, 09:07 PM
CL24's. i think he means these.

keno
09-26-2009, 04:20 AM
A few years back I purchased a Ksyrium wheelset. I found them to be harsh and uncomfortably sensitive on my Ottrott. I sold them.

I recently did an Andy Hampsten camp in Tuscany. Rather than bring bikes, I rented high-end bikes for my wife and myself. I had a Colnago full carbon C50 hp with a Ksyrium wheelset. I had no similar problems with the Ksyriums and found the ride to be pleasant over many roads which were of the chip/seal kind of surface.

My point is that the wheelset cannot be considered in isolation. The frame/wheelset combination is somewhat akin to the mind/body connection. i.e., they are packages.

BTW, I have a set of Mavic OP with DA hubs, had and sold the Shimano 7850s, not because of the wheels but because of what I ultimately concluded were inferior tires in the Hutchinsons and thought that the wheelset was not perhaps for a 190 pounder, and yet keep coming back to my Velomax Orion IIs, which after about 15,000 miles have never been out of true and had one broken spoke as a result of someone getting up close and personal with a skewer.

keno