PDA

View Full Version : How Do I Fix My Fizik Aliante Saddle?

jberenyi
09-22-2009, 09:08 PM
My Aliante has Ti rails and one of the rails is slipping inside the bonding epoxy in the rear of the saddle. It makes a click sound every time I ride because the Ti rail is making a sound as the saddle flexes. Anybody have this issue with their saddle and fixed it?

54ny77
09-22-2009, 09:18 PM
Dab a bit of oil in there--just a couple drops of whatever you've got. I used Pedro's Syn Lube on mine, which had same problem (slight loose rail/mount interface). It worked just fine. It's an Aliante w/K:ium rails, by the way.

Need to re-apply every month or so.

My Aliante has Ti rails and one of the rails is slipping inside the bonding epoxy in the rear of the saddle. It makes a click sound every time I ride because the Ti rail is making a sound as the saddle flexes. Anybody have this issue with their saddle and fixed it?

jberenyi
09-23-2009, 08:05 AM
I wonder if drilling a hole and applying more JB Cold Weld epoxy would help?

dawgie
09-23-2009, 08:23 AM
I would contact Fizik. They have pretty good customer service. For the price of an Aliante, they should back them up if it's a structural defect.

Lionel
09-23-2009, 08:34 AM
I have also been using a drop of lube in the front of the saddle. 3 of my Aliante do this (one has carbon rail, two others have K'ium rails). I sort of have to live with it because I love the shape of this saddle.

guyintense
09-23-2009, 09:14 AM
I wonder if a little CA glue would work, capillary action and all.
BTW the early Aliantes did have titanium rails.

jberenyi
09-23-2009, 09:24 AM
I wonder if a little CA glue would work, capillary action and all.
BTW the early Aliantes did have titanium rails.

I thought about using super thin CA glue but CA does not respond well to vibration. However if I drilled a tiny hole and injected a fair amount it might do the trick. I wrote to Fizik this morning. We'll see what they say and how long it takes for them to respond.

PS. It is a Ti rail model.

54ny77
09-23-2009, 09:54 AM
Try the oil thing before you drill or do anything like that. Seriously. Drilling your seat would be silly, not to mention overkill.

Flip the bike upside down, put a drop or two in each of the 3 mounting blocks (1 front, 2 rear), and let it sink in for a minute or two. It works.

Nautilus
09-23-2009, 01:26 PM
Oil may work as a temporary band aid, but you're not fixing the problem.
Also, if you use oil you will be eliminating a chance to fix it properly with some epoxy or something, because oil will keep glue from bonding as you won't be able to get back in there and clean it properly.

If you bought it legit like, I would contact FizIk, otherwise I'd look into glueing it.

jberenyi
09-23-2009, 05:19 PM
I drilled two 1/16 inch holes and applied CA glue in the holes. Then I chipped away some of the epoxy and applied JB Cold Weld to the same factory location. We'll see how it works tomorrow after a 24 hour cure.

jberenyi
09-24-2009, 01:44 PM
My fix worked. I saved some big bucks doing what I did.

Satellite
09-24-2009, 01:51 PM
Show us the repair photo.

Louis
09-24-2009, 04:00 PM
My fix worked.

Great. However, I think you'll want to have a few more miles on before declaring a final victory.

Ken Robb
09-24-2009, 05:29 PM
I would think that oiling it would lead to ultimate failure as the loose rail gouged the carbon hole bigger. Glue or epoxy to affix the parts permanently seems like the only long-term repair.

dekindy
09-25-2009, 06:06 AM
Did you try getting it warrantied? Too old or purchased used?

Satellite
09-25-2009, 01:45 PM
My fix worked. I saved some big bucks doing what I did.
Jberenyi,

Could you post a follow up photo of the repair? I would really like to see it, I have the same problem I did the oil trick. I am interested in how your fix works out for you long term.

Satellite

jberenyi
05-31-2012, 01:25 PM
Well it took a while but the problem is back again after 3 years. I will do the same fix as before by drilling a small hole for the CA and chip away the old bond and reapply JB Cold Weld. This time I will rough up the Ti rail surface that comes in contact with the epoxy for added adhesion. Fizik never did contact me.

martinrjensen
05-31-2012, 02:19 PM
i have an Alanti saddle also, actually 5 of them. One saddle has this problem. I could live with re-doing the repair every 3 years or so....Well it took a while but the problem is back again after 3 years. I will do the same fix as before by drilling a small hole for the CA and chip away the old bond and reapply JB Cold Weld. This time I will rough up the Ti rail surface that comes in contact with the epoxy for added adhesion. Fizik never did contact me.

jmoore
05-31-2012, 04:59 PM
I hate recovering Fizik Aliante's. That little v-notch in the back is a colossal PITA to get right and have it look good.

This little tidbit has nothing to do with your problem, but I wanted to throw it out there anyway.

3 years is pretty good for a quick fix.

rustychisel
05-31-2012, 07:32 PM
Yeah, 3 years is good value. Let us know how the fix goes.

I had a Fi'Zik Pave which failed badly when the rail parted company with the shell, the whole saddle collapsing when I was JRA. The local (Australian) agents agreed with my assessment and sent me a new saddle... can't argue against their commitment to do the right thing.

[although after 3 - 4- 5 years I think you got your money's worth]