PDA

View Full Version : Vintage Build

slowandsteady
09-22-2009, 08:22 PM
I am thinking of buying an early 90' steel frame and building it up but might consider building it with more modern components. Is this sacrilage or maybe a fun project that just might work out as a nice ride. Sure I would not be able to use 10 speed components and might have to make do with friction shifting (though I am pretty sure i can upgrade with some newfangled bits).

Would the classic small tube frame look odd with a nice mix of new wheels, bars, stem etc?

Wodering how many of you have taken your old rides and updated them...

jvp
09-22-2009, 08:30 PM
This is my '89 paramount w/ original dura ace 8spd. and newer kysrium sl's, I like it.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v218/jvpro/001-1.jpg

Pegoready
09-22-2009, 08:51 PM
Not a bad idea, but I think modern components look cheesy on older frames. Some pull it off well... Nitto, handbuilt wheels, silver components (alloy Rival, Centaur, older Chorus, etc.).

Be ready to respace the rear of the frame for 130 spaced wheels to pop in and out cleanly.

And get good closed cam quick releases like Shimano makes. The modern lightweight QR's don't have the grabbing power for chromed horizontal dropouts.

Michael Maddox
09-22-2009, 08:59 PM
I am the king of improper rebuilds, I do this to EVERYTHING.

Case in point, my 1981 Pogliaghi with SRAM Rival 10 speed, new Dura Ace/Open Pro wheels, and a Thomson seatpost.

http://oldfartcycling.org/__oneclick_uploads/2009/09/81_pogliaghi.jpg

I can tell you, the thing rides like a dream, and I don't think Sante would mind one bit.

In addition, all three of these have been built up in a similar fashion, though they're currently idle and on display. Yes, they're all team bikes from the late 80s and early 90s. Although I have collected the correct "period" bits for almost all my bikes, I've avoided putting them on until I make the decision to be a collector and NOT a rider.

http://oldfartcycling.org/__oneclick_uploads/2009/09/team-bikes.jpg

If you look far back enough, you'll find my personal introduction to the forum, an 84 Nova Special with Dura Ace 10 speed and Deep V wheels. Most people thought that was wacky, but it seems I've either grown on people or become an addition to most everyone's ignore list.

So, in summation, I don't agree with the idea that classic frames should be somehow locked in a time warp. Outside of technical issues, modern components work wonderfully on older bikes. Use what you like and ride it like you stole it.

palincss
09-22-2009, 09:09 PM
I am thinking of buying an early 90' steel frame and building it up but might consider building it with more modern components. Is this sacrilage or maybe a fun project that just might work out as a nice ride. Sure I would not be able to use 10 speed components and might have to make do with friction shifting (though I am pretty sure i can upgrade with some newfangled bits).

There's no reason why you wouldn't be able to use anything from 7 to 10 speeds on an early 90s steel frame. If it came with a 127 rear triangle, spread it to 130, that's no big deal, but chances are it's already at 130. As for "having to make do with friction," when the frame was new they were already into the second or third generation of indexing.

I have a George Longstaff Audax Custom that was built in 1991. It has a 130 rear. I have it set up with indexed 9 speed operated with bar end shifters. It works just great - even though the chain rings have no ramps or pins.