PDA

View Full Version : it occurred to me as i watched the patriots.....

oracle
01-19-2004, 01:00 PM
win yesterday that there is an uncanny number of similarities between cyclocros and american football.

both are otherwise reasonable sports, in which participation in the most foul of weather is manditory.

sometimes you cannot tell one participant from the other , due to mud covering everything.

both are sports dominated by the big men.

both share a wildly enthusiastic, rabid fan base which is frequently semi-conscious due to beer intake.

there is usually an abundance of beer at the event. (for this reason, utah will probably never have an nfl team)

the ability to run fast for short distances is a requisite.

participants in both sports wear helmets.

any i'm missing?

oracle

:beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:

Kevin
01-19-2004, 05:23 PM
You forgot the similiarities with the cheerleaders. I assume that all of you have the same problem with cheering women following you everywhere. Oh, I'm sorry, I was daydreaming again.

Kevin

Dr. Doofus
01-19-2004, 07:12 PM
Please do not draw comparisons -- which are inevitably spurious -- between the glorious sport of cycling and American football. American football is remarkable mainly for combining the three worst aspects of American culture: corporate standardization and commodified violence punctuated by committee meetings.

Robert

slowgoing
01-19-2004, 08:33 PM
Scary. Very scary.

oracle
01-19-2004, 09:20 PM
perhaps a little perspective, as well as humor is in order here, dr. doofus. :beer: :beer: ;)

Dr. Doofus
01-20-2004, 04:59 AM
Exactly. I should hope one would contrast the use of elevated language, overly abstract diction, and the unduly scathing tone with the triviality of the subject matter, and draw the conclusion that the good Doctor, a normally (or perhaps nominally) rational person was pulling your leg. Or, perhaps, I'm a wacko.

Robert

And football still sucks

Sandy
01-20-2004, 05:08 AM
Redskins football surely sucks! Not New England's or Carolina's!

Sandy
01-20-2004, 05:11 AM
All football would suck if a carbon fiber football was used.

Kevin
01-20-2004, 05:12 AM
Giant football also sucks.

Kevin

Sandy
01-20-2004, 05:15 AM
Kevin,

You got that right!

Dr. Doofus
01-20-2004, 06:21 AM
I just hate the NFL...your socks fall down, you get fined...you can't wear Freddy Billetnikoff's number if you're a wide receiver...those eyeshades on helmets are ugly...and half the league are illiterate thugs....

College football is cool. Go Hawkeyes.

JohnS
01-20-2004, 06:55 AM
Not only are they illiterate thugs, but most are lousy football players, too. I have to put up with the Lions! That's why I'm a hockey fan. :)

bags27
01-20-2004, 02:00 PM
Funny, when I first read the title of this thread, I assumed that Oracle was going to emphasize the cerebral nature of Pats planning, the fact that they are certainly not the most physically talented but are the toughest, and the belief that no matter how far down they are they never, ever give up, but find ways to be competitive. As a bicyclist, I'd be proud to have those characteristics.