PDA

View Full Version : Long Distances and Cramping Calves

Dustin
09-22-2009, 02:24 PM
I’m currently in the throes of training for my first double century this October in Death Valley. Prior to all this, I think my longest ride was around 95 miles. I’ve been trying to ramp up the mileage very gradually, not increasing mileage more than 10% over the week before.

Starting with a 115 miler a couple of weeks ago, I could tell towards the end that my left calf was just on the verge of cramping up. This Saturday, I did 130 miles, and the same calf starting to feel like it was going to cramp as early as mile 50, but didn’t violently seize up until after the ride when I got home. A few days later, it’s still sore. So I’m thinking that if I can’t find a way to fix this issue, it may be a deal breaker as far as completing the 200 goes.

One thought I had was that perhaps moving the cleats back would take some of the strain off the calf muscles (though they were pretty far back to begin with). I recalled reading an old article about how Lon Haldeman would drill shoes for RAAM riders having issues to move their cleats back 1-2 cm beyond the normal range of adjustment. So I modified an old pair of shoes I don’t wear anymore so that the cleat goes back another 5 or 6 mm past the normal limit. I'll do some experimenting, and see if it makes a difference.

After that, I started poking around the internet, and came upon this:

http://www.trainingbible.com/joesblog/2007/01/cleat-position.html

I’d love to try this, but it’s hard to do without going custom (yes, I've done a search, and seen the discussion on this board about arch cleat placement). I thought about trying to modify my old shoes for this setup, but seems like a rather tricky hack. The hack I did to get it back an additional
5mm was pretty simple by comparison.

Anyone else deal with similar issues as you started to ramp up the mileage for a long-distance ride? How did you manage it? I should add that I don’t think the problem is an issue with electrolytes, mais qui sait?

Lifelover
09-22-2009, 02:42 PM
You most likely are going to get all the standard electrolyte, potassium, hydrate, blah, blah, blah responses.

If you figure out what works for you please let me know.

I'm a life long cramper and have never been able to figure out what the trigger is.

I have been taking some meds lately that are specific to leg cramping.

Here is a pic http://www.hylandslegcramps.com/home/wp-content/themes/k2/images/legcramp-prod-group5.jpg

It seems to help as an after the fact treatment so I plan to use it on my next long ride.

Good luck!

Dustin
09-22-2009, 02:54 PM
Interesting article someone just sent to me:

http://www.sportsscientists.com/2007/11/muscle-cramps-part-1-theories-and.html

Jack Brunk
09-22-2009, 03:12 PM
Dustin,
I'll be riding it to so I'll keep an eye out for you. Death Valley is one of the hardest places to ride because of the heat and the total lack of humidity. You have to basically drink double the amount of fluid and double up on your minerials/electrolytes. We will be doing the northern route which has more climbing and has a higher degree of difficulty. I've found that I ride much better in DV if I wake up and drink some fluids 2-3 times a night. You can lose as much as 8 pints of fluid during sleep.

Lifelover
09-22-2009, 04:08 PM
Interesting article someone just sent to me:

http://www.sportsscientists.com/2007/11/muscle-cramps-part-1-theories-and.html

I remember it being on a different site and a different format but I saw that a while back when doing my own research.

If anyone wants the short version here is my take on it:

The medical community is not sure or in agreement as to what causes cramps. Some people cramp often (me) some people have never cramped in their life.

Dustin
09-22-2009, 04:38 PM
Dustin,
I'll be riding it to so I'll keep an eye out for you. Death Valley is one of the hardest places to ride because of the heat and the total lack of humidity. You have to basically drink double the amount of fluid and double up on your minerials/electrolytes. We will be doing the northern route which has more climbing and has a higher degree of difficulty. I've found that I ride much better in DV if I wake up and drink some fluids 2-3 times a night. You can lose as much as 8 pints of fluid during sleep.

Thanks, Jack. After the 508, I guess the Death Valley Double will be your recovery ride? :D

Good tip on the waking up to drink at night.

znfdl
09-22-2009, 05:09 PM
Dustin:

I have been a long time user of the hammer nutrition supplements. On long sustained rides, I create a supplement and nutrition schedule and keep to it.

On very hot days (especially in DV and other desert areas) I would take the following supplements every hour.

4-6 Endurolytes
1-2 Anti fatigue Caps
1-2 Race Caps
I am now trying their amino endurance as another supplement.

As Jack mentioned DV is a hard place to ride and I would pay extra attention to my supplements. Some people say that all you need to do is eat normal food to replace your supplements, I like to know exactly how much I am taking in on a regular basis. If you do try the Hammer Supplements, please try them well in advance of the ride, in case the supplements do not agree with you body.

If you have any questions, send me a PM with your number and I can give you a call.

Good luck and have fun.

Jack Brunk
09-22-2009, 05:09 PM
Thanks, Jack. After the 508, I guess the Death Valley Double will be your recovery ride? :D

Good tip on the waking up to drink at night.
Man's best friend in the DV are made by Hammer Nutrtion and their called Endurolytes. 2-4 at night and 3-4 per hour during the ride. Their a ride saver.
No ride in DV can ever be considered a recovery ride :) . It's my favorite place to ride a bike. :beer: