PDA

View Full Version : New Orleans Members

znfdl
09-22-2009, 08:39 AM
I just signed up for a IT training course in January and need to make my plane reservations.

I was wondering what the riding is like in Lousiana in Mid January, as I was thinking of bringing my bike with me for some riding on the weekend prior to and after the training.

Thanks.

malcolm
09-22-2009, 09:03 AM
Stuart I used to live there, but it has been a long time. GNO cyclery was the best shop in town back then and I'm fairly certain they survived the storm. Billy the guy that owns it, is a decent guy and should be able to guide you. In New Orleans proper the only places I know of to ride, back when was a loop around lake ponchatrain, you could start at west end in Metairie, about 30 mi if you loop through lake view, also the top of the Mississippi levee, it starts just behind the audubon zoo and goes out to kenner also about 30-35 miles round trip if memory serves, pancake flat but the wind will usually be bad in one direction or the other. There used to be great riding across the lake in covington/mandeville, rural and rolling hills. I rode all over the New Orleans and thought it was great fun, but I was much younger and don't think I would have the stones for it anymore except for the above places assuming they still exist.

You should try and eat at Bayonna or Stella, I've heard they are both still quite good and thriving post Katrina, but I've not been since the storm. I've also heard central grocery in the quarter is back with their killer muffalotta's, best I've ever had. R&O's is also back they are in buck town on the lake near metairie, very good neighborhood sandwiches, poboys.

little.man
09-22-2009, 12:21 PM
Check out the NOBC web page at:
http://www.neworleansbicycleclub.org/rides.htm
It will contain an up todate list of group rides in the area and where to ride. January weather can vary a lot, but is likely to be windy.

There are winter training rides that are held across the lake on Sundays during January. Usually about 65 miles in length. Speed will vary. If interested, send me an e-mail when you get here.

I would skip R&O's. Was not pleased with their food last time we went. If you want a Po-Boy, then P&G's on Baronne street has one of the best shrimp po-boys around.

IT training? Sounds like maybe SANS. I may be doing that as well.

I work downtown and live in Jefferson, so just let me know if you have any further questions or need anything when you get here.

The NOBC website contains a list of shops as well. Bicycle Connection and Bicycle World are two popular shops.

Mark

znfdl
09-22-2009, 12:42 PM
IT training? Sounds like maybe SANS. I may be doing that as well.

SANS it is. I will be a weeklong IT security training. I will defnitely shoot you an email when time gets closer.