PDA

View Full Version : Vittoria Corsa Evo CX 320 TPI mini review.

Steve in SLO
09-21-2009, 08:49 PM
I have been riding Michelin Krylion Carbon 700x23 tires with satisfaction for a few years now. They’ve been a good, reliable tire with decent mileage and grip and flats have been rare despite riding over some pretty sharp objects. I was talking to the Vittoria rep at a race and he was offering a special intro deal on the 700x23 320tpi Corsa Evos, so I took a pair home and have finally worn out a pair of Krylions. I mounted these several weeks ago and took them out for a spin.

As I took the tires out of the box, my initial impression was that the tires felt like they had much thinner sidewalls than the Michelins. They had a shiny latex coating on the sidewalls that looked hand-applied, and the tread looked as if it had been glued on, like a tubular. In fact, they looked like clinchers built to be reminiscent of tubies.

Mounting onto my Neuvation R28SL3s (a bit easier than onto Campy rims) was about 30% easier than with new Michelins. Once on, they looked nice, between the shiny black sidewalls, stippled tread and minimal graphics. In fact the tire only has one label on it and you have to look VERY carefully to find the directional arrow.

I inflated them to 100/100 PSI, same as my Michelins, and gave them a ride. As I pedaled off, my first thought was that I hadn’t felt a tire this comfortable since a ride on tubies many years ago. Part of this may be that I had underinflated them (recommended 115-135 PSI) but I wanted a direct comparison to the Michelins. They felt ‘fatter’ than the Michelins as well, but are really not. As I headed down the street, I stood up and gave it a little gas. They felt sticky and gave a nice tearing sound as I hopped on it.
I have now about 250 miles on the set and they have given up a bit of the stick-to-the-pavement feel, but remain very comfy. They track well and corner well. I’ve been cornered on them at 35-40MPH and they are confidence inspiring without a hint of slip. I can’t comment about what threshold grip is like-progressive or sudden-since I haven’t ridden them that hard. I have had one flat that would have flatted any tire, but as I was repairing the inner tube I had the thought that the casing seemed pretty thin under the tread and applied a patch to the inside of the tire as well as to the tube. With the Michelins I would have not felt the need to do this. The nibs are wearing off the center of the back tire, and it is beginning to square off, so it looks like mileage will be a bit shy of what I am used to. I rode a different bike today with a set of Krylions and felt like I was on rocks.

So, in short:
Pos:
Comfy ride, good handling, fairly easy to mount, understated appearance
Negs:
Thin casing (?easily damaged with flats), may not wear well.

palincss
09-22-2009, 03:11 PM
The Krylion is meant to be a long-wearing training tire. Just looking at it, I'd guess the Corsa Evo is a racing tire similar to the Michelin Pro3Race, so it ought to be faster, more fragile and wear out more quickly than the Krylion.

Pete Serotta
09-22-2009, 03:32 PM
Steve, thanks for the review and picture....

btw, I have a set of decals going your way to put over the "MOOTS" :)

Steve in SLO
09-22-2009, 06:53 PM
Steve, thanks for the review and picture....

btw, I have a set of decals going your way to put over the "MOOTS" :)

Yeah, sorry about that, Pete.
Maybe I should just take off the 'TS'. At certain times of the year it'd be more appropriate to what's riding it.

Pete Serotta
09-23-2009, 05:47 AM
I love Moots and would have a ti of theirs if I did not have one of ours..... :beer:

Likes2ridefar
09-23-2009, 06:03 AM
I've had a pair since July, but haven't used them the entire time. I do not run the PSI you do and follow the recommended PSI on the side of the tire with about 115 in the front and 120 in the rear. They still feel better than any clincher tire I've used at that pressure. I will try knocking it down to what I would typically use on a clincher. My fear of flats for such a thin, pliable tire have thus far been unfounded. I do have some cuts on the rear and notice the tread is wearing down some. I've probably about 350 miles on mine. Clearly, they will not last nearly as long as my normal tire the GP4000.

I've ridden Michelin Pr2 and 3 as well and think these tires are easily nicer riding. they feel fast, too, although that may just be the higher psi tricking me.

Edit: I did not even notice the arrow and I did scan around both sides checking. I just assumed it was label towards driveside!

Steve in SLO
09-23-2009, 09:50 AM
Pete,
Maybe I could have a combo bike, either a Soots or a Moorotta :confused:
L2RF,
I used the herringbone side tread as my guide and only saw the arrow after I mounted the first one. I agree these are better riding tham the Conti GP4000s I rode earlier this year. They most remind me of some Paribas I rode some years ago: Handmade, light, fast, great riding and quick wearing.

EddieBirdsell
09-23-2009, 09:56 AM
I've got some of these that are 290 TPI at home that I was going to try out this weekend.

Are these a prior (e.g. past year's) model of the same tire?

Any idea how they might feel different from the Ultremos that I've been riding?

jtferraro
09-23-2009, 10:22 AM
I've got some of these that are 290 TPI at home that I was going to try out this weekend.

Are these a prior (e.g. past year's) model of the same tire?

Yes, they were 290TPI previously (older model)

bpatterson
09-26-2009, 10:11 PM
I ripped a pair of hard riding plastic toy Conti GP4000. to put a pair on and it is hands down the Corsa evo at 120 wow what a ride

sloji
09-26-2009, 11:27 PM
I bought a pair from Arts Cyclery about two weeks ago to treat myself before winter comes and i've put about 400 miles on them so far and that includes some wild rides through the Santa Cruz mountains and a dirt trail to Los Gatos...one word "nice."

fourflys
09-26-2009, 11:32 PM
If you want a bit longer lasting tire with almost the same feel, try the 290 tpi Diamante Pros by Vittoria.... wow! I would go with the open corsas for race day anytime though!

Great review, thanks!

tv_vt
09-27-2009, 11:23 AM
I always put the tire label on the non-drive side of the frame, since that's the side I see when I lean the bike up against anything. Did the same with this tire. So now you tell me I've got them on backwards! No wonder why they're so slow :rolleyes: Just kidding. These tires are great any way you mount them! Have maybe 500 miles on a pair on my Look and they are great. Did a century last weekend - pumped to 110 for my 180# - lively, firm, but not harsh. Really an enjoyable tire.

Thom

CaliFly
09-27-2009, 02:07 PM
If you want a bit longer lasting tire with almost the same feel, try the 290 tpi Diamante Pros by Vittoria.... wow! I would go with the open corsas for race day anytime though!

Great review, thanks!

+1 what Chris said.

OC and Diamante Pros feel just about the same ride-wise. But dang those OCs just won't last as a training tire.