PDA

View Full Version : Look Keos or Shimano SPD-SL's

oldguy00
09-21-2009, 05:20 PM
I'm finding that my Speedplay Zero's are developing too much lateral rocking, and have decided to try something new.
Wondering which y'all prefer between Keo's and SPD-SL's, and why?
Thanks!

Acotts
09-21-2009, 05:29 PM
I will say that my SPD-SL's do everything you need a pedal to do.

There is no float, clip in is easy, and the contact is solid. I'm not a weight weener so I dont even look at the grams. They are light enough for my race bike.

There is really not much more to it than that. I think that they are both solid, it really comes down to preference.

TAW
09-21-2009, 05:33 PM
I'd recommend the SPDs as well. Having loved Look pedals, even the Keos which I have now still squeak, which is quite annoying.

oldguy00
09-21-2009, 05:34 PM
I will say that my SPD-SL's do everything you need a pedal to do.

There is no float, clip in is easy, and the contact is solid. I'm not a weight weener so I dont even look at the grams. They are light enough for my race bike.

There is really not much more to it than that. I think that they are both solid, it really comes down to preference.

You mention no float, but don't they (SPD-SL's) usually include the cleats that do have float??

bkboom123
09-21-2009, 05:36 PM
they are good enough for lance aren't they?

oldguy00
09-21-2009, 06:18 PM
I was kind of leaning towards the 7810 SPD-SL's. Just logged onto to PBK and grabbed a pair for $200 Can. shipped. Looking forward to trying them.

fourflys
09-21-2009, 06:29 PM
You mention no float, but don't they (SPD-SL's) usually include the cleats that do have float??

I can tell you the 105 level spd-sl come with the cleats (yellow) that do float, if you want no float you need to get the other cleats...

I like my spd-sl so much, I kept them even though I have an otherwise Campy bike... :D

09-21-2009, 06:30 PM

They come with a floating cleat (the yellow one) but perhaps what was meant is that the pedals give the float allowed by the cleats and no more. Many other pedals tend to let your float extend past the limits set by the cleats, often with slightly graduating tension as you reach the limits.

They do have a SM-SH10 cleat (with red tips) that has nominally zero float. It isn't absolutely zero (the only cleats I've ever seen that really did that were the SPD-R SM-SH90 (since discontinued) and the polycarbonate version of the SM-SH10 cleats custom-made for Lance Armstrong). The trick to the SM-SH10 is to replace it every couple thousand miles or so. Then it stays nice and precise.

Keith A
09-21-2009, 09:28 PM
I'm finding that my Speedplay Zero's are developing too much lateral rocking, and have decided to try something new.
Wondering which y'all prefer between Keo's and SPD-SL's, and why?
Thanks!I experienced the exact same issue! I have a few bikes that I actively ride and several years ago, I was deciding on which pedal system to use for all of them. So I bought both the Zero's and what was then the 7750 SPD-SL's -- which are slightly different than the current 7810's. After trying out both pedals for several months, I decided to go with the SpeedPlay Zero's and put these on the main bikes I ride. I was happy for a quite some time, but found that as the cleats would wear there was too much lateral rocking -- just as you have experienced.

So about a year ago, I switched over to the 7810's and mostly happy that I did so. The float between the Zero's and SPD-SL's is very different. The Zero's float freely between the limits, whereas the SPD-SL's have a more restrictive feel. The only real downside (for me) is that I tend to get a little hot foot in my right foot that I never experienced with the Zero's. Interestingly, I don't have this hot foot problem with the 7750 version of the SPD-SL's which are a little narrower than the 7810's.

A funny side note is that I just bought a new set of Zero cleats from a forum member as I wanted to ride the SpeedPlays again :D

Kurt
09-21-2009, 10:55 PM
the shimano cleats that say they are fixed are not, all you have to do it try a keo black to verify this. the keo is out with a new version in the next week, wider and with a metal plate to prevent wear. both the keo with rubber on the bottom and the shimano with wear tabs on the bottom are harder to clip in vs the keo with just plastic.

thinpin
09-22-2009, 12:03 AM
I was a regular Keo user but changed to Shimano SPD 8 months ago.
The Shimano pedals (I use DA and Ultegra) provide a wide stable platform and do not appear to wear much. You have a choice of cleats: float/no float. The dowwnside (for me) is the "false engage". You appear to do everything right and get that solid click sound, however you're not fully engaged and any pressure will pop you out like here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQDjqAkLUB0 @1:40

It happens to a lot of my mates too. Getting used to it.

The Keos are nice pedals with a choice of 3 cleats, float/little float/lotta float. The older model was narrow and wears down at the contact point with the cleats but the newer models are wider and have a metal plate on the platform now.

All in all there is little in it.

zap
09-22-2009, 09:22 AM
I use both and like both but would give a nod to shimano if I rode in bad weather a lot. Shimano has some of the best bearings out there.

benb
09-22-2009, 10:07 AM
Shimano never had problems with axles shearing off... works for me.

I don't think Lance had the "SPD false engagement" thing happen there. You can't pedal that far with the pedal falsely engaged. Remember he had cracked his chainstay in that crash as well, I think popping out probably had more to do with flexing the bike due to the failed chainstay.

The false engagment thing happens once in a blue moon for me. Not really a big deal.

jtferraro
09-22-2009, 10:42 AM
They do have a SM-SH10 cleat (with red tips) that has nominally zero float. It isn't absolutely zero (the only cleats I've ever seen that really did that were the SPD-R SM-SH90 (since discontinued) and the polycarbonate version of the SM-SH10 cleats custom-made for Lance Armstrong). The trick to the SM-SH10 is to replace it every couple thousand miles or so. Then it stays nice and precise.

Lane,
Have you noticed Shimano red cleats wear faster than the yellows? I'm experiencing some play (can feel it in my feet), and certainly hear it, but haven't yet determined if it's due to cleat wear or if it's coming from my new BB30 crank/BB (or it's both!).
Thanks,

09-22-2009, 05:49 PM
Lane,
Have you noticed Shimano red cleats wear faster than the yellows? I'm experiencing some play (can feel it in my feet), and certainly hear it, but haven't yet determined if it's due to cleat wear or if it's coming from my new BB30 crank/BB (or it's both!).
Thanks,

When there's already slop (as in the yellow cleats) you don't notice play. With the red cleats you do. The cleats don't really last that long -- a little bit of denting and wear and they have some slop. I wouldn't say the red ones are any worse than yellow. This is why Shimano makes some polycarbonate ones with sharper-angled edges and a much more durable and harder composition for various top riders (including Lance). Those click in and out like SPD-R's. If you have a problem with play, do consider SPD-R's. The best made pedal ever produced anywhere, an all-metal cleat, and very aero and low profile yet a great platform. They take a different drilling from 3-hole Look, but the trackie trick is to use the front Look hole for one of the SPD-R bolts and then simply drill another one and put in a replacement Sidi stud. For most people on most shoes that front Look-drilling bolt works perfectly; the exceptions are the shoes that run out of adjustment room anyway such as some recent Adidas.

rpm
09-22-2009, 10:19 PM
I'm curious about release tension on the SPD-SL's. I'm a Look user and like the their wide range of adjustment so that I can make them easy in and easy out for urban riding. Can SPD's be adjusted to a low tension?

Keith A
09-23-2009, 07:16 AM
. . . Can SPD's be adjusted to a low tension?The SPD-SL's do have a tension adjustment, but I haven't played with adjustment to see what difference it makes. The initial setting seemed good to me, so I have left it there. If others don't chime in, I can adjust this and see what the limits are like are report back.

jtferraro
09-23-2009, 10:08 AM
Thanks for the info Lane. I think it's time to replace my red cleats (for starters).

Re: SPD-SL's retention - Yes, you can adjust it. I believe they come setup w/their 'easiest/loosest' setting, which is stll relatively firm. I've dialed them up so the little 'meter' is in the middle.

cp43
09-23-2009, 10:15 AM
I run my SPD-SLs on the easiest release tension. I've never popped out of the pedal when I didn't want to, and haven't had any trouble getting out when I need to. Haven't used Looks, so I can't compare.

Chris