PDA

View Full Version : Cleat and seat post adjustment

dd74
09-21-2009, 11:40 AM
I read an article in one of the bike rags that stated if a person adjusts their seat post (raises or lowers it), they also need to adjust their cleats, though the article did not mention how a person is to adjust their cleats.

So I ask: if one is raising their seat post, generally, which direction would they adjust their cleats, forward or backward?

Thanks. :beer:

Pete Serotta
09-21-2009, 12:13 PM
I am far from an expert, but have been riding for MANY years on many different bikes and pedal systems. In adjusting my seat up or down I have never readjusted my cleats. The old rule of thumb of keeping the foot part over the spindle has worked for me. (back or forward of that for the initial type of riding but no change after that adjustment.

I assume that if some huge adjustments in seat tube angle, the place the butt rests on the seat or a radical up or down in seat height - that there could be a slight pedal to cleat adjustment.

I will let the far more knowing folks like SMILEY or Paraic give their professional advice, but I would not look for problems where none are.

The first queation I should of asked is why one is adjusting their seat up or down? And then the second is "was the pedal to cleat ok before that adjustment :confused: :)

PETE

David Kirk
09-21-2009, 12:25 PM
I suppose that if you wanted to raise the seat BUT NOT increase your leg extension then you could compensate with the cleats some but God knows why anyone would raise the seat for a reason other than wanting more leg extension.

I think the cleats and the saddle are unrelated in this way.

dave

RPS
09-21-2009, 12:26 PM
Are you sure they weren’t discussing something odd like compensating for different leg lengths or some other unusual case?

I’ve seen mention of adjusting saddle height based on one leg and then correcting the other leg, but having to change cleat forward or backwards because you move the saddle up or down a few millimeters is news to me. I certainly don't do it.

cmg
09-21-2009, 01:27 PM
Steve Hogg discusses this topic a bit. Here's a link http://www.cyclefitcentre.com/pdf%20final%20docs/SHOE%20AND%20PEDAL%20ARTICLE%208_final.pdf Also if you go to cyclingnews fitness section and put "cleat positioning" in the toolbox and hit search. there's some questions and answers there. Experiment but try not to ride with a hot foot.