PDA

View Full Version : Singlespeed MTB observations

d_douglas
09-19-2009, 11:03 AM
I bought my friend's Indy Fab Singlespeed MTB a few weeks ago. I have never ridden a SS and it was just so beautiful that I couldn't say no.

I rode it to work a few times and simply got frustrated by the gearing. I have a 38-20t on it and I get to work on a fairly long gentle hill, so the gearing is great for the climb, but I spin out all the way there and once down the hill. I didn't get it.

My buddy told me to take it offroad to understand why SS's are fun, so I did. It was pretty fun! Rolling trails, tight turns, and only a few required dismounts when my lungs were busting.

I am still not sold on SS bikes (you might see this one up for sale) but it was a pretty hilarious afternoon, not listening to gears grinding, chains slapping etc.

Am I alone in this? I need to give it a few more tries before I get fed up.

tuscanyswe
09-19-2009, 11:10 AM
Nope your not alone.

Gears are nice to have.. and really, just how much does your gears grind and do your chain really make slapping noises?

The biggest plus for ss bikes is that they usually look really good :D

joelh
09-19-2009, 11:23 AM
I converted an old schwinn traveler to SS for a work commuter and I hate it! I can't for the life of me figure out why people love them so much. It might be much different as a mtb, but on the road, the one I have really blows.

uno-speedo
09-19-2009, 11:26 AM
fixed on the road and ss for the trails.

rugbysecondrow
09-19-2009, 01:29 PM
I built up My Rawland Olaf as a SS (don't like fixed) for the road and just bought an IF frame to built up as a SS mtb. The SS just reminds me of being a kid, out having fun. Just something about it.

d_douglas
09-19-2009, 02:50 PM
but it is a bit of that feeling, yes.

It was cool to forget about shifting for a ride. Also, it was nice to pick lines that did not favour the non-drive side. ie., no need to protect the derailleur and chain, etc.

The rigid fork is beautiful and it was cool to have to think about lines rather than ride over things. (what I both love and despise about FS frames - they make you lazy, but you can do so much more on them).

No gears and a rigid fork makes things really light!

Nautilus
09-19-2009, 05:13 PM
I've had a couple fixed gear road bikes, a ss road bike and a ss 29er mtb. I'll admit that I love the feeling of connectivity of riding fixed, and the simplicity of a single speed, but the more I rode them the more I was convinced that I was in the wrong gear 90% of the time.

The fixed gears and the ss road bikes are gone(though I'll never sell my white industries eno flip flop wheel just in case), and the ss mtb is set up for one particular set of trails but aside from that I'm finally sold on the derailleur.

Acotts
09-19-2009, 05:54 PM
I want a single speed 29er pretty bad.

for me, it looks like a great way to re-expirience all these local trails.

But when the going gets tough, this pro goes geared.

WadePatton
09-19-2009, 10:08 PM
i quit riding my wonderful xc four-bar snapdazzlyhappy domestic made machine-two rides after i went ss.

nothing sucks like being wrong-geared on a ss/fixed for the road. i sometimes ride 2 miles to a trailhead...and it goes on forever and ever.

my next two atb's and only 'cross bike and next roadie are all slated to be one-gear machines. i have one geared bike--that's enough.

to this day i can tell you where i was on an early ss atb ride (on paving) when the pitch of the road changed and my thumb instinctive reached for a gear and found nothing but air...

hell you had to be there.

forget the road gear. get the trail gear close and be happy-and always go short when in doubt.

WadePatton
09-19-2009, 10:12 PM
I want a single speed 29er pretty bad.

for me, it looks like a great way to re-expirience all these local trails.

But when the going gets tough, this pro goes geared.

look up hubcap cycles. he had four 29'rs on the rack at that last race i attended. i rode the ss around, he had ti and steel. does a curvy seat tube. has long history of building, but just started selling. john is in pa.

besides being too tall in the gear and the bars feeling odd as they weren't rody walter's "luv handles", the bike was great.

i wanna 650b

Volant
09-19-2009, 11:54 PM
You might like a 1x9, or do what I did, build a tringle-speed (3 up front, 1 in the rear). I'm in a hilly area. I got tired of walking the really steep stuff and having the geared guys pass me on the flats 'cuz I was spinning-out. This set up keeps me from bailing, and I can really fly on the flats and down hills now with the 48.

Oirad
09-20-2009, 06:59 AM
Wade Patton gets it.

I suppose that if you're riding with others who have lots of gears and full suspension, you will be slower and have to dismount occasionally. But if you ride alone or with other SS riders it's a different experience. I ride fixed most of the time, including on trails. And, yes, I'm in the wrong gear most of the time I guess, but that is usually my fault, not the bike's: If I don't make it up a short, steep hill, it's typically because of my lack of skill or power. On the other hand, I've gone up or over stuff, that I have to stop, look back and say: Whoa! I cleaned that.

Just because you have a beautiful SS, doesn't mean that you have to ride only that bike, btw :)

-- Oirad

rugbysecondrow
09-20-2009, 07:17 AM
I also really like the 1x9 setup.

You might like a 1x9, or do what I did, build a tringle-speed (3 up front, 1 in the rear). I'm in a hilly area. I got tired of walking the really steep stuff and having the geared guys pass me on the flats 'cuz I was spinning-out. This set up keeps me from bailing, and I can really fly on the flats and down hills now with the 48.

toaster
09-20-2009, 08:24 AM
There is a Zen-ness to a SS. Some days you'll get it, others you won't. Just as some trails or routes will be be conducive and some will just frustrate you.

But, it will make you a better rider as you overcome these things. Learning how momentum is so important on descents and not wasting it by braking will make you better at lines and cornering. Standing and turning a bigger gear than normally used on many climbs will make you more efficient out of the saddle climbing.

You are going to have to be patient as these moments are sometimes few and far between but you will come to appreciate them.

Joellogicman
09-20-2009, 08:43 AM
Single speed makes a lot of sense.

For commuting and errands in a flat city such as Chicago, gears just give you that much more to maintain without providing much benefit.

For mountain biking, I agree with those who use the 1+ set up. If you are not racing or riding in real steep terrain, 7 to 9 gears is usually more than enough. Again, having less to maintain is a plus.

ericspin
09-20-2009, 12:24 PM
I just returned from a ss mudfest and I cannot think of more fun. Yesterday I rode a solo century+ on my Concours and it was great. But ss mtb's are just plain FUN.

Also, when I am riding the ss regularly I am exponentially stronger on the road bike. I mean a lot stronger. Th mtb, to me, is the ultimate intervals machine. So much accelerating...braking...fast...slow...technical.. .up...down.

I love it.

Hey, D, if the Indy Fab doesn't work out for you shoot me a pm. Thinking really hard about building me a custom as mine is a hand me down from the classifieds.

avalonracing
09-20-2009, 12:31 PM
Ahh, finally some SS MTB backlash. My master plan is beginning to work. If you think that 1X9 works you should try 2X9 and for a really great time 3X9... Come on... All the kids are doing it... It will make you feel good... ;)

d_douglas
09-20-2009, 01:15 PM
gear-pimp.

Yeah, no riding today. I will try a few late day rides after work before it gets too dark to ride here!

Will notify if the IF goes for sale. Will offer it back to original owner first (he struggled a bit with selling it to me, so I owe this to him) and then will likely post here. It is retro - no disc mounts - but totally awesome. Pauls V's are plenty strong, I have realized.