PDA

View Full Version : Ford in your future??

Pete Serotta
09-18-2009, 03:39 PM
Boy, I wish I could be at Interbike to see this and bum of Dave and Ben :)

Smiley
09-18-2009, 03:45 PM
Please Keep Dave Powers away from the white paint at the factory, dude paints anything he can on a bike white :banana:

I LIKE this Ford and it certainly costs more then my 2 year old Ford Edge for sure :)

Pete Serotta
09-18-2009, 03:52 PM
and Dave's bike is black and his RS6 Audi Wagon is black. :confused: :confused: BUT in the factory he is running around with white Krylon :argue:

BumbleBeeDave
09-18-2009, 03:58 PM
. . . what happened to his hair? ;)

BBD

Pete Serotta
09-18-2009, 04:01 PM
Hair is Mr Bond!! James Bond :cool:

. . . what happened to his hair? ;)

BBD

Serotta_Dave
09-18-2009, 04:02 PM
I turned that white also :)

RPS
09-18-2009, 04:04 PM
Ford in your future??
Would they be involved in warranty claims? :rolleyes:

If so, the answer is not in this lifetime.

Pete Serotta
09-18-2009, 04:06 PM
Yeah they will not replace my HONDA but I would take one if there were no Hondas or E46 M3s (although if they ever bring the RS Focus over I could be in trouble,). Serotta warranty is better than any car "LIFETIME to the original purchaser...And on the AE I will ship you a bottle of good RED ole vine zin :beer:

Would they be involved in warranty claims? :rolleyes:

If so, the answer is not in this lifetime.

RPS
09-18-2009, 05:01 PM
Yeah they will not replace my HONDA but I would take one if there were no Hondas or E46 M3s (although if they ever bring the RS Focus over I could be in trouble,). Serotta warranty is better than any car "LIFETIME to the original purchaser...And on the AE I will ship you a bottle of good RED ole vine zin :beer:
Pete, what’s that saying: Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me.

Nothing against Serotta or your warranty, but when it comes to Ford once is plenty. I learned from my Ford experience that a warranty is worthless if the manufacturer doesn’t want to stand behind it. On small repairs that are clearly covered they can refuse coverage knowing you are not going to pursue it in court. Seems shortsighted but I guess they were more concerned about short-term cash flow than long-term loyalty or market share.

What’s funny is that at that time I had three Fords and was a very loyal customer; and they blew it for a few dollars. Whatever works for them – I haven’t gone back to a dealer to look since.

Pete Serotta
09-18-2009, 06:22 PM
I feel the same way about GM. I have no plans on buying any new car for a l-o-n-g time. If I weaken my wife will remind me based on $$s and :bike:

Pete, what’s that saying: Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me.

Nothing against Serotta or your warranty, but when it comes to Ford once is plenty. I learned from my Ford experience that a warranty is worthless if the manufacturer doesn’t want to stand behind it. On small repairs that are clearly covered they can refuse coverage knowing you are not going to pursue it in court. Seems shortsighted but I guess they were more concerned about short-term cash flow than long-term loyalty or market share.

What’s funny is that at that time I had three Fords and was a very loyal customer; and they blew it for a few dollars. Whatever works for them – I haven’t gone back to a dealer to look since.

SHOCK
09-18-2009, 06:55 PM
I got to do the build up on this bike today and let me tell you that the paint crew at Serotta KILLED it with this frame. In my opinion this is the SWEETEST thing that we have put out to date. Just wait until the photos of the new Ford Transit SICI vehicle get posted, that thing is going to turn it up to ELEVEN!!!!!

nahtnoj
09-18-2009, 07:02 PM
and Dave's bike is black and his RS6 Audi Wagon is black. :confused: :confused: BUT in the factory he is running around with white Krylon :argue:

RS6 wagon? Did I read that correctly? There are two of those in the US from what I hear.

With the affiliation with Ford he can no longer be seen in that car! Dave, please PM, I'll be happy to trade straight up for my Ford-era Volvo wagon...

fungusamungus33
09-18-2009, 08:24 PM
Looks good Scott. Ha! 11!!!

I got to do the build up on this bike today and let me tell you that the paint crew at Serotta KILLED it with this frame. In my opinion this is the SWEETEST thing that we have put out to date. Just wait until the photos of the new Ford Transit SICI vehicle get posted, that thing is going to turn it up to ELEVEN!!!!!

Volant
09-20-2009, 09:29 PM
That's about the only Ford I'd pay good money for (is there such a thing as "bad money"?).

54ny77
09-20-2009, 09:34 PM
That sweet rig probably gets the best mileage out of their entire lineup combined...and then some...

Ahneida Ride
09-20-2009, 10:05 PM
(is there such a thing as "bad money"?).

Yup! The Federal Reserve shopping coupon.
It is easily counterfeited by the Incredible Preserve.
Hence not money but a non note issued by a private central bank.
frn lost 98% of its purchasing power since its inception in 1913.

and they charge interest on these non notes to boot!
and they put Bernie Madoff in jail ! :crap:

rwsaunders
09-20-2009, 10:31 PM
From my youth....

To a FORD Fan.....First On Race Day

To a CHEVY Fan...Found On Road Dead

WickedWheels
09-21-2009, 12:48 AM
This is worse than painting "Huffy" on a nice bike

ejh
09-21-2009, 09:35 AM
Well I've been working for Ford for over 20 years, and yes they have had there share of problems. And I know some people will not beleive it but Ford has come a long way. I will put a Ford up agenst any manufactre in the world right now. My paycheck showes it almost no warantee work at all, and think that americans still are the best workers in the world. I for one would love to have that bike.

BumbleBeeDave
09-21-2009, 03:58 PM
This is worse than painting "Huffy" on a nice bike

You'd think that people would be glad that Serotta has gotten a decent marketing deal going with a large company with lots of resources. But no. People seem to want the company to be unique and boutique and get all worked up if it's not and they see a marketing deal like this. But then complaints start flying when Serotta has to raise prices to keep all of their production stateside and keep the "boutique" image.

A marketing relationship like this means CA$H for a small company like Serotta. They are doing what they have to do to stay in business. Cut them some slack . . .

BBD

Pete Serotta
09-21-2009, 04:43 PM
:banana: :banana: to Sir Dave

CNY rider
09-21-2009, 06:39 PM
You'd think that people would be glad that Serotta has gotten a decent marketing deal going with a large company with lots of resources. But no. People seem to want the company to be unique and boutique and get all worked up if it's not and they see a marketing deal like this. But then complaints start flying when Serotta has to raise prices to keep all of their production stateside and keep the "boutique" image.

A marketing relationship like this means CA$H for a small company like Serotta. They are doing what they have to do to stay in business. Cut them some slack . . .

BBD

You know I love Serotta, and I know you love Serotta, so can you help me out by explaining this deal to me?
Are Ford and Serotta now marketing partners? How does Serotta make money by doing this? From being partners, or by selling more bicycles? Is there a large overlap demographic of potential Ford buyers who might also be interested in an expensive custom bicycle? :confused:
I totally don't understand how business and marketing work, particularly in this case.
Somebody connect the dots for me please. ;)

WickedWheels
09-21-2009, 08:36 PM

BBD

For a guy that dresses the way you do (yes, I've seen the pics) your sense of humor seems to be somewhat lacking... at least in this case

csm
09-21-2009, 09:14 PM
I've been a fan of Ford as they build some great race cars. I don't mean Nascar btw.

BumbleBeeDave
09-21-2009, 09:47 PM
For a guy that dresses the way you do (yes, I've seen the pics) your sense of humor seems to be somewhat lacking... at least in this case

. . . simply didn't seem to be made in jest.

I once had a girlfriend who worked for the local electrical/gas company. She never wanted me to tell anyone where she worked, especially in social situations, because as soon as they found out she worked for the electric company the litany of complaints would start. I watched this happen several times at parties before I learned my lesson and followed her instructions and kept my yap shut. People just wanted an object for their bile over their electric bills and/or service, and she provided the target. It didn't matter that she could do absolutely nothing to help them or change anything. They still complained. She said she had gotten tired of it long ago, and I understood why.

I've been on this forum for 7 years now, and I've watched over and over again as Serotta has made all sorts of announcements about lots of things because that's how marketing works. They do something different and they have to tell people about it so hopefully the market will buy it. In every case they post some sort of release here and there's several people who applaud and several who engage in rational discussion of what this may mean for the company and/or cycling in general. Then there's always the small number who can't seem to wait to harp on the same themes.

The Ottrott was too expensive.

The DKS was a gimmick.

The Meivici was too expensive.

The owner's club is too expensive.

The cessation of CSI production was wrong.

The Meivici AE is too expensive.

Serotta should stick with Titanium.

Serotta should never touch carbon.

Serotta should return to steel.

Ben never posted here--then took the trouble to actually write a few lengthy blog-type posts. You would have thought he had stood up and yelled "Fire!' in the middle of a double feature at the Serotta Cineplex. Go look up "Zen from Ben" and take a look. No wonder he never posted. Holy crap!

For all the reputation over the years and all the image in the press or cycling world, many people don't seem to realize that Serotta is a small bike company competing against some really huge competitors and increasingly threatening market forces in today's economy. Like many small companies, they are trying whatever new things they can think of to make the bottom line live up to survival expectations.

The last time I saw a bike company with an active cross marketing deal with a car company was VW some years ago selling Golfs and Jettas with included rooftop bike racks and Trek bikes. For a company the size of Serotta to get any kind of active marketing deal with a company as big as Ford is huge, whether it works out in the long run or not. Can you imagine how many more bikes Serotta would sell if Lincoln came out with a special model that includes an Ottrott or Legend with every car? Ford sells literally millions of cars. If they sold 2500 of a special edition with the included bike, as far as I know it would DOUBLE Serotta's annual sales. (Dave P. please correct me if I'm wrong!) Think about that. Think what that would do for Serotta's product development budget.

How about a Mustang Serotta Edition, with the driver's seat specially ergonomically fitted to the driver, a la the Size Cycle? Or Serotta/Ford team kit? There's all sorts of possibliities . . . and if people want to complain about sacrificing some sort of purity of purpose or something, then fine, go ahead. But to me it means that the company--a LOCAL company to me--might just survive and prosper at a time when cheap imports are hammering them harder than ever, health insurance and materials costs are spiraling out of sight, and the kind of craftsmanship and quality that Serotta has always stood for doesn't seem to mean much to a large segment of the market anymore.

If every bike they send out the door with that "Ford" logo on it gets as much notice out on the street and in the cycling world as that ONE bike has in this thread, then they got a good thing going!

BBD

dd74
09-22-2009, 01:28 AM
Welcome to the real world, which is marketing.

Ferrari has Colnago - one of the highest end and noted bike manufacturer in Italy.

Ford, who arguably builds the best vehicles in the U.S., has Serotta - one of the highest end and noted bike manufacturers in the U.S.

It makes sense when one sees this Ford:

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/photopost/data/566/medium/Donated_FordGT.jpg

93legendti
09-22-2009, 06:00 AM
I'm all for Ford. Major kudos that Ford didn't take bailout funds. I'm all for Serotta. This is a positive all the way around.

54ny77
09-22-2009, 06:12 AM
i personally think cross-marketing campaign should be done with victoria's secret, but hey, whatever works... ;)

(oh and bumble bee dave hit the nail on the head.)

WickedWheels
09-22-2009, 07:11 AM
I have to disagree with you somewhat...

Serotta teaming up with Ford is nothing like Colnago teaming up with Ferrari.

Colnago is a fairly small size company that has a high-end reputation because they simply don't have "every-man" type of bikes teamed up with a relatively small car company that has the same reputation. This reinforces their high-end image and appeals to the same type of a person/personality that would purchase a Ferrari.

Serotta is also a very small size company with a reputation (arguably) of making the best and CUSTOM bicycles. Them teaming up with a giant in the automotive industry, and especially one that has a questionable reputation, is certainly not reinforcing their reputation as "high-end" or "exclusive". The advantage of such a collaboration would be only as it applies to potential investors or buyers. If Serotta was in financial trouble (which I would imagine isn't too far from the truth given the current market) this collaboration would solidify its image as a major and relevant force in the industry, even if not an "exclusive" one.

. . . simply didn't seem to be made in jest.

I once had a girlfriend who worked for the local electrical/gas company. She never wanted me to tell anyone where she worked, especially in social situations, because as soon as they found out she worked for the electric company the litany of complaints would start. I watched this happen several times at parties before I learned my lesson and followed her instructions and kept my yap shut. People just wanted an object for their bile over their electric bills and/or service, and she provided the target. It didn't matter that she could do absolutely nothing to help them or change anything. They still complained. She said she had gotten tired of it long ago, and I understood why.

I've been on this forum for 7 years now, and I've watched over and over again as Serotta has made all sorts of announcements about lots of things because that's how marketing works. They do something different and they have to tell people about it so hopefully the market will buy it. In every case they post some sort of release here and there's several people who applaud and several who engage in rational discussion of what this may mean for the company and/or cycling in general. Then there's always the small number who can't seem to wait to harp on the same themes.

The Ottrott was too expensive.

The DKS was a gimmick.

The Meivici was too expensive.

The owner's club is too expensive.

The cessation of CSI production was wrong.

The Meivici AE is too expensive.

Serotta should stick with Titanium.

Serotta should never touch carbon.

Serotta should return to steel.

Ben never posted here--then took the trouble to actually write a few lengthy blog-type posts. You would have thought he had stood up and yelled "Fire!' in the middle of a double feature at the Serotta Cineplex. Go look up "Zen from Ben" and take a look. No wonder he never posted. Holy crap!

For all the reputation over the years and all the image in the press or cycling world, many people don't seem to realize that Serotta is a small bike company competing against some really huge competitors and increasingly threatening market forces in today's economy. Like many small companies, they are trying whatever new things they can think of to make the bottom line live up to survival expectations.

The last time I saw a bike company with an active cross marketing deal with a car company was VW some years ago selling Golfs and Jettas with included rooftop bike racks and Trek bikes. For a company the size of Serotta to get any kind of active marketing deal with a company as big as Ford is huge, whether it works out in the long run or not. Can you imagine how many more bikes Serotta would sell if Lincoln came out with a special model that includes an Ottrott or Legend with every car? Ford sells literally millions of cars. If they sold 2500 of a special edition with the included bike, as far as I know it would DOUBLE Serotta's annual sales. (Dave P. please correct me if I'm wrong!) Think about that. Think what that would do for Serotta's product development budget.

How about a Mustang Serotta Edition, with the driver's seat specially ergonomically fitted to the driver, a la the Size Cycle? Or Serotta/Ford team kit? There's all sorts of possibliities . . . and if people want to complain about sacrificing some sort of purity of purpose or something, then fine, go ahead. But to me it means that the company--a LOCAL company to me--might just survive and prosper at a time when cheap imports are hammering them harder than ever, health insurance and materials costs are spiraling out of sight, and the kind of craftsmanship and quality that Serotta has always stood for doesn't seem to mean much to a large segment of the market anymore.

If every bike they send out the door with that "Ford" logo on it gets as much notice out on the street and in the cycling world as that ONE bike has in this thread, then they got a good thing going!

BBD

BumbleBeeDave
09-22-2009, 08:15 AM
. . . as I see it, has been precisely that "high-end" reputation. If the company is going to grow--or even survive in this economic climate--they need to expand customer appeal into slightly lower price point markets. But that's hard to do when the brand has such an entrenched rep as only doctor and lawyer rich guy bikes. Having such an alliance with a large, but more economically mainstream car company could do a lot to spread Serotta's marketing message to those slightly lower priced markets where they need he exposure.

Also, I would not be so sure Ford has a particularly questionable reputation right now. As others have mentioned, they are the only domestic car company that did NOT take bailout money and they definitely DO have some good products.

BBD

54ny77
09-22-2009, 08:36 AM
In this market, you do whatever it takes to sell more of whatever product you're making. You try new things. You try different things. You reinvent old things. Some might work, some might not.

I think it's great.

Think of it this way: if it helps sell enough bikes as a means to cover the costs of this forum, it's worth it. :beer:

Your comments about image dilution are a red herring. Look at some of the commentary in the classifieds section (here or on other forums where "high end" bikes are listed) to see what I mean.

Colnago is a fairly small size company that has a high-end reputation because they simply don't have "every-man" type of bikes teamed up with a relatively small car company that has the same reputation. This reinforces their high-end image and appeals to the same type of a person/personality that would purchase a Ferrari.

Serotta is also a very small size company with a reputation (arguably) of making the best and CUSTOM bicycles. Them teaming up with a giant in the automotive industry, and especially one that has a questionable reputation, is certainly not reinforcing their reputation as "high-end" or "exclusive". The advantage of such a collaboration would be only as it applies to potential investors or buyers. If Serotta was in financial trouble (which I would imagine isn't too far from the truth given the current market) this collaboration would solidify its image as a major and relevant force in the industry, even if not an "exclusive" one.

93legendti
09-22-2009, 08:56 AM
Most Americans (58%) still say Ford, the company that didn’t take a government bailout, is the Big Three automaker that has the best chance of surviving and becoming profitable again. Nineteen percent (19%) say GM has the best chance, but just four percent (4%) say the same of Chrysler. These numbers are virtually unchanged from late May.

Ford’s favorables in comparison to GM and Chrysler have risen dramatically as the bailout plan was being debated in Washington, D.C.

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/business/auto_industry/september_2009/57_say_gm_will_need_more_bailout_funds

Most Americans still have a much higher opinion of the one Big Three automaker who didn’t ask for a government bailout, while views of the two companies that did get bailed out continue to go down.

A new Rasmussen Reports national telephone survey finds that 66% of Americans now have at a somewhat favorable opinion of Ford, including 22% whose view is very favorable. Ford is seen unfavorably by 26%, with six percent (6%) very unfavorable. These numbers are largely unchanged from May.

By contrast, General Motors is viewed favorably by 38%, down six points from May, and unfavorably by 56%, up eight points from the previous survey. The “nays” feel more strongly now, too: Twenty-one percent (21%) have a very unfavorable opinion of GM, compared to nine percent (9%) whose view is very favorable.

For Chrysler, the news is similar. Thirty-four percent (34%) have a somewhat favorable view, down six from May, while 55% see the company unfavorably, up three points. Those with a strongly unfavorable view outnumber those who are strongly favorable by more than three-to-one – 23% to seven percent (7%).

These views may be translating into consumer buying habits, too, with 46% of Americans now saying they are more likely to buy a car from Ford because it did not seek a government bailout. Only 17% say they are more likely to buy a GM car now that the company has emerged from bankruptcy with government help, but 22% say they are less likely to do so.

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/business/auto_industry/july_2009/ford_favorables_hold_steady_gm_chrysler_down

dd74
09-22-2009, 11:33 AM

You've got all this completely wrong on three very core levels.

1) Ford has, in fact, a very high-level reputation, both in the U.S. and in Europe. Their cars are every much as good as anything Europe puts out. A) Have you seen the new Taurus, or the Fusion hybrid? Have you seen the new Fiesta? Have you seen the car magazines that have touted the Mustang as the best overall sports GT over the new Camaro or Dodge Challenger? The company's Ecoboost engine will bring a whole new life to gasoline engines; i.e. very small and very powerful little direct-injected motors. Also, are you aware of Ford's racing program? It's enormous, both as a competitor and supplier.

2) What corporate sponsors has Serotta's name been affiliated with in the past? IIRC, wasn't 7-11 one of them? I can't see how that hurt the brand back in the day. In fact, if it wasn't for the bike being associated with 7-11, I would have never heard of Serotta in the first place.

3) No comparison to Ferrari and Colnago? C'mon. Marketing is marketing... :rolleyes:

csm
09-22-2009, 12:22 PM
I think Ford needs to change their name to something a little more continental....
Fordoza perhaps? then the millions will flock.

rwsaunders
09-22-2009, 12:50 PM
Dave...you're right in a way that many folks out on the web enjoy Serotta bashing. All Serotta owners are dentists, doctors, lawyers...I've heard them all. I just ride my Legend and smile.

People don't want to talk about the number of custom builders who got their start at Serotta, as well as the knowledge base that something like the Forum has generated for us common folks. People also seem to forget that beyond the technology that's employed, human hands actually do the work in Saratoga Springs and Poway.

Keep up the good work folks.

Pete Serotta
09-22-2009, 12:57 PM
I will match FORD with any European company on quality and reliability. They are definitely better than some even. Additionally the FUSION, EDGE and a few others are world competitors. Some of the performance models from Europe are talked about as coming over the the FOCUS RS could get me into another Ford. HONDA and TOYOTA have the long term quality records to date, but I am sure FORD is aiming at them

You've got all this completely wrong on three very core levels.

1) Ford has, in fact, a very high-level reputation, both in the U.S. and in Europe. Their cars are every much as good as anything Europe puts out. A) Have you seen the new Taurus, or the Fusion hybrid? Have you seen the new Fiesta? Have you seen the car magazines that have touted the Mustang as the best overall sports GT over the new Camaro or Dodge Challenger? The company's Ecoboost engine will bring a whole new life to gasoline engines; i.e. very small and very powerful little direct-injected motors. Also, are you aware of Ford's racing program? It's enormous, both as a competitor and supplier.

2) What corporate sponsors has Serotta's name been affiliated with in the past? IIRC, wasn't 7-11 one of them? I can't see how that hurt the brand back in the day. In fact, if it wasn't for the bike being associated with 7-11, I would have never heard of Serotta in the first place.

3) No comparison to Ferrari and Colnago? C'mon. Marketing is marketing... :rolleyes:

dd74
09-23-2009, 02:11 AM
It's a win-win, IMO. Europe still loves anything American, and with Ford's foothold in European motoring, Serotta could slide right in under the car company's wing, touting itself as the "true American made hand-made bicycle." When I was last in Europe, I met a guy on a Serotta Paramount in Corfu. He told me in Greek-English it was the best bike he ever owned.

Maybe Ford-sponsored bike racing is on the horizon for Serotta. From F1 to rally and saloon racing (like NASCAR but on road courses), bike racing is probably the only racing Ford hasn't been in aside from motorcycle racing (for obvious reasons). Who knows? Ford-sponsored Serotta Meivici AEs featured on a spot during the Giro on Universal Sports network, or Le Tour on Versus, would be brilliant for the company.

As an aside, I've heard rumors of Cadillac sponsoring a race team after people took interest in the Astana-team Caddy CTS-V support car that practically mowed down the Subarus during the Tour of California.

Anyway that's how marketing works. It's all about perception and association. :)

erector
09-23-2009, 02:42 AM
exiting from his Escalade in Sausalito.

Serotta and Ford is fine, that bike looks great. I won't buy a ford, but I would buy a Serotta (neither of which i can afford, the latter of which can cost more than the former; the latter of which i would also prefer).

Serotta teamed with a quik-e-mart, and had great success. It'll be interesting to see what plays out.

Tobias
09-25-2009, 12:04 PM
I will match FORD with any European company on quality and reliability. They are definitely better than some even.
Quality and reliability do not necessarily drive image do they? Are Ferrari considered reliable if judged by typical car standards? Is the build quality particularly great? I don’t think so, yet their brand image endures at an uncommon level.

Besides, the real difference is that there are very few Ferrari owners in the first place, so the possibility of disgruntled Ferrari owners avoiding Serotta due to a business partnership is miniscule. And the same goes to Ferrari competitors who may have alliances with other comparable brands – they are also very small in numbers.

Ford is huge by comparison which has more upside but also more downside. Along with being much larger, Ford has more direct competitors than Ferrari. Will GM, Honda, or Toyota auto workers or loyal buyers now avoid Serotta? And if not avoid, will their sentiments towards the Serotta brand change?

soulspinner
09-28-2009, 06:48 AM
I'm all for Ford. Major kudos that Ford didn't take bailout funds. I'm all for Serotta. This is a positive all the way around.

+1-win win and although I was in the business for a long time with Toyota I would entertain a small Ford but no GM or Chrysler.

mikki
09-30-2009, 01:10 AM
+1-win win and although I was in the business for a long time with Toyota I would entertain a small Ford but no GM or Chrysler.

In my opinion, Ford has raised it's status by not taking bailout money as people have mentioned and by making very realiable cars. My husband and I are both considering purchasing Fords in the next couple of years....the new "Transit" that was the business van paired with Serotta @ Interbike and a hybrid SUV..I am leaving the Lexus arena as their cars are way overpriced and no longer match my more frugal lifestyle.

I think that Ben is looking outside the box of what worked for Serotta in years past to a brand that is (wave the flag) considered American. Ford is gaining respect from those of us who are newly willing to look/research at their line because we are appreciative they didn't take the bailout that the other car companies did.

Ben could be visionary once again; time will tell.

RkyMtn
10-03-2009, 09:43 PM
Hmmm... For and Serotta... At least Ford will benefit from this. And Ford did do a nice job of resurrecting the GT, although I have no idea what the quality of this car is. Jay Leno and Phil Mickelson seem to like it.

As for a a better pairing with an auto company, I would have chosen BMW. Both Serotta and BMW cover a good product price range while also delivering class winning performance throughout all the product lines.

Ford's quality is hit and miss. Sometimes you get a good car and sometimes you get a clunker. Assembly fit on their lower end cars is sometimes inconsistent. The last Ford Mustang I drove in 2003 had the turn radius of a large sailboat. I would also never buy another car using box-frame construction. I don't know if Ford is still using this 'horse and buggy' technology, but they sure don't tell you what the ARE using, leading me to believe it is still box-frame. Uni-body is the only way to have a car that won't squeek and rattle down the road after a year. (after a 30 minutes of searching, I did confirm that Ford does make their Taurus and Fusion using unitized body construction,... add a star for Ford!!)

Ford IS the best american car company serving the majority of America. Serotta is the best bike frame manufacturer serving a smaller segment of the American bicycle market, those willing to sacrifice most other discretionary (and, in my case some non-discretionary) income to get the best. This just doesn't seem to match. I would see Trek or Specialized as a better fit with Ford.

Being a student of Quality Management, I'd buy a Toyota for a car I needed to depend on for reliable transportation.

I MIGHT be tempted to get a Ford Fusion hybrid if it came with a free custom HSG!

I sure hope Ford is paying Serotta some large money for the advertisement pairing.

Ford is very fortunate to have Serotta in their camp.

Cheers,

Eric

xtrsmith
10-04-2009, 03:59 AM
this might have something to do with that bike?
http://cyclingshoesonline.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/serotta_interbikevan-1.jpg