PDA

View Full Version : Way OT: Presentation Tips

MattTuck
09-18-2009, 11:43 AM
So this is way off topic, except that it peripherally includes a mention of Serotta.

I am a teaching fellow at a business school and I will be giving a 1.5 hour talk next month to an Advanced Entrepreneurship class. The talk is focused on how small companies compete against larger, more well resourced, rivals.

Without getting into all the details, it starts out with the theory of "judo economics" (using your opponent's size against them), covers a number of strategies with examples (serotta being one of those examples), and also looks at the topic from a military standpoint drawing on texts such as Guerrilla Warfare by Mao, Art of War from Sun Tzu, Strategies for fighting Wildfires, and the Army Counter Insurgency Field Manual.

I certainly have enough material to fill the full 1.5 hours, but I have never given a presentation of that length. And I'm looking for any tips that people might have for keeping the talk engaging and keeping the audience entertained/awake.

Thanks.

rwsaunders
09-18-2009, 11:52 AM
Make your presentation interesting, dynamic and short. Engage the audience, by asking questions of them. Write the questions down and answer in relationship to the relevancy of your presentation.

http://www.lifehack.org/articles/communication/18-tips-for-killer-presentations.html

Don't forget the 2 second rule with the laser pointer and good luck.

eddief
09-18-2009, 12:06 PM
how big is the audience?

regardless, hopefully you are a lively speaker and not just a head that talks.

any way to break into small groups and make interactive?

q and a

brainstorming

annecdotes from audience

flip charts, pens, discuss in small group, report out to big group

start off with finding out what they most want to learn and then give em that. if you have an attendee list ahead of time, you could ask them ahead of time.

guided visualization (oops, only in berkeley)

use this company as a case study: https://www.shakeweight.com/ver4/index.asp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4S3C4AC908w

Ozz
09-18-2009, 12:12 PM
don't read the slides to them

use real life examples

ask questions of them

Sounds like an interesting topic.... :beer:

Hardlyrob
09-18-2009, 12:23 PM
Great tips on that list. I do this kind of presentation all the time, and here's what I've learned:

Only put a few words on a slide - use them as cues, not everything you are going to say about the topic. Never read a slide, unless it is to read a quote from someone that makes your point.

Organize each slide so it has a headline (and write it like a headline), then the content to make the point, and then a contrasting text box at the bottom that covers the "so what" of the slide. If you are going to present a bunch of information, then talk about implications consider using a slide at the end of the information and before you talk about implications that ONLY says "So What?" in like 60 point type. It will get their attention.

Know the information backwards and forwards so you can answer questions with concrete examples of your point. Never use cards or notes to speak from - the presentation is your set of notes.

slow down! slow down some more, then go even slower - there is a tendency to rush through the information

Use bigger fonts - the link says nothing less than 30 point. We don't go below 20 point for two reasons. The obvious is that it is easier to read, but it also makes you think about writing more concisely and to rethink your point and be really clear.

No more than 5 bullet points on a page - do NOT fill the slide with a wall of words, the audience stops listening to you, and starts getting lost in the tiny text.

Consider breaks in the 1.5 hours for questions - depending on how you organize the information there might be logical points to break up the presentation to engage the audience and answer questions. Even better, find places to challenge the audience, make them come up with an example, then explore it.

Use a graphic designer (maybe BBDave?)- they think differently, and your slides will be clearer, convey your point better, and look better. Also, think of visual ways to convey your points - graphs, flow charts, text boxes, anything to get away from slide after slide after slide of bullet points.

Consider a different deck as a take-away. We do this all the time, we use a presentation deck which has cryptic, clean looking slides we talk to, and a report deck which has all the words and detail in it. That way the audience can get all the content, but not have to sit through 120 cluttered slides. If you do this, write the report deck first, then strip it down into the presentation deck.

Read about facilitation techniques - the best presentations are group conversations about the topics that the presenter facilitates.

HTH

good luck

Rob

Hardlyrob
09-18-2009, 12:28 PM
For your topic consider exploring failures as well as successes - there is often more to learn from a failed strategy than a successful one.

Given the topic and your audience, it may be appropriate to focus less on the actual information, and more on the implications - what should they be thinking about, what are the metrics that indicate success, or failure. The audience may already be familiar with your examples.

Rob

Hawker
09-18-2009, 12:28 PM
Looks like you already have a lot of great suggestions.

If you think you may ever have to give this talk again...see if you can record the class unobtrusivlely. Even a cheapy mic sitting on a table attached to a digital recorder or similar will do the trick. Perhaps the guys at Lance's new sponsor can help? :) You will be amazed at how much better it came off than it sounded to you at the time (most of the time) and it will help you a lot for the next time around.

Ken Robb
09-18-2009, 12:44 PM
When I was a senior in the Business School of Northwestern U. (now Kellogg) we had a class called Enterprise and Entrepreneurship. Each week we would have a successful entrepreneur come for lunch after which he/she would give a talk on how he did it. Then we'd take a coffee break before resuming the session with Q and A from us.

This where I met Ray Kroc. We got reacquainted when he bought a home in La Jolla from one of my office pals.

I agree with the others who recommend that you not try to "lecture" for 1.5 hours. Hit your important points in no more than an hour and open the floor to questions and see where the audience's interest lies. You could ask attendees to write out their questions and give them to you during a 10 minute recess. That way you'd still be in control to ensure you answer those you think most important. It sounds like a fun day.

67-59
09-18-2009, 12:50 PM
Don't just stand behind a podium.

Karin Kirk
09-18-2009, 02:14 PM
You've gotten some great advice already, very nice.

+1 that your slides are cues for you to speak from, not a bullet list of everything you will say.

Try to avoid the one-click-per-bullet torture. 90% of the time if I use animation, it's only to add humor to a slide. If you've sat through the click through the bullets thing, you know just how agonizing that is.

+1 with visual interest. I put a pic on every slide. Google image can yield interesting and quick fodder. However if your presentation will be hosted on a website for future access, I would not advise this because using random images from the web is not good practice in terms of copyright.

1.5 hours is a long time. Think of it more like a lab than a lecture. There are many ways to break up the time and get interactive. My favorite is eddie's suggestion to break into small groups, have them do/discuss something, then report back to large group. (also know as think-pair-share http://serc.carleton.edu/sp/library/interactive/tpshare.html) I'd suggest 2 such breaks in your time slot.

There are many methods that good teachers use to keep lecture interactive. Here is a link to one of our web pages about ways to do this http://serc.carleton.edu/sp/library/interactive/howto.html

Have fun and good luck!

1centaur
09-18-2009, 06:16 PM
Don't get trapped by asking questions and not getting answers. Too many speakers assume an audience will ask and answer questions and a lot of them won't. Asking for a show of hands on various questions will get participation much more readily.

90 minutes is going to feel long unless you're Robin Williams. 9 10-minute segments with different themes and clear transitions will make the audience feel like you're moving it along.

A dynamic voice range and too much energy help enormously. Listen to good actors and anchors on TV and see how they enter and exit each word, not just key words, with strength, not timidity. Speak to the back of the room - make eye contact to actual people in the back row.

Humor relaxes people, which makes them more receptive. Stale jokes told awkwardly make people tense. Be genuine in your humor or don't use it at all.

Pictures are good, especially if they are interesting or funny in themselves and people can't figure out how the picture plays into your topic until you explain it to them. Keeping people slightly off balance will keep them engaged.

Hawker
09-18-2009, 06:49 PM
90 minutes is going to feel long unless you're Robin Williams.

LOL...ain't that the truth. I'd give anything to be that quick.

Climb01742
09-19-2009, 05:57 AM
depending on how the room is set-up, move around and through the audience. get in people's faces (in a nice way.) make the presentation personal, look folks in the eye, ask them direct questions to engage/force participation. as others have said, 90 minutes is an eternity. get visual. photos are great. scour youtube for videos that can spice things up. use props. hey, it's a show. use your energy to create energy in them. present situations in which your case studies faced decisions but before telling how they reacted, engage your audience in how they'd respond_then_give 'em the punchline, and compare/contrast suggested with real responses.

all that said, ultimately you need to work it the way you feel it. (i.e. i can't present sitting down; i_gotta_stand and move.) i once sat through a two hour class at harvard business school where the sum total of the "visual aids" were chalk and blackboards. but damn, the prof worked it like magic. his passion made it work.

what feels most natural to you??

OtayBW
09-19-2009, 08:51 AM
I just presented a 3-day shortcourse in Turkey of all places - a week ago. You've gotten a lot of good ideas here; sorry if I inadvertently reiterate something here. Couple of thoughts:

You can do 90-minutes, no problem. Have confidence in yourself and your knowledge of the material. For me, that usually simply means knowing the order of my slides (very important), the main point(s) I want to make on eac, and how that relates to the story/flow. I don't need to know every detail of every slide - I ad lib as necessary.

1) Be a storyteller. Be conversational, not only in your voice, but in your presentation style as well. Tell anectodes. Mix up your methods.

2) I tend to add humor into my talks when appropriate. For example, I always liked Calvin and Hobbes, so when I present something with unexpected or weird results, I might have a screenshot of Calvin flying in making one of his outrageous faces. Timing is everything here, but it grabs their attention and gets them on 'your side'. Even the most formal presentation can usually be a little 'offbeat' one in a while.

3) Lead them through the presentation by keying your current topic (or topic changes) to the objectives/scope-of-talk slide that you discussed as part of your overview/introduction.

4) Keep moving a little while you talk; vary the pace of your presentation; and use your voice effectively; invoke your audience member's names.

5) Listen to your audience. They will tell you (nonverbally and verbally) how they're doing and the frequency of the breaks they need.

6) Eat 'steel-cut' oatmeal before your talk. You know - the blood sugar thing....

MOST IMPORTANT:
7) Don't be too 'wordy' (like me!).

Ahneida Ride
09-19-2009, 10:08 AM
Hey Matt

Hit me with your whammy stick .... ;)

I am a startup ..... www.handlebra.com

click purchase to visit the store

MattTuck
09-21-2009, 10:33 AM
Thanks to all that responded!

Definitely a ton of really good insights.

Now the decision is which of the good ideas to incorporate.

I think (but I'm not sure) that the presentation will be video recorded and possibly posted up on the web. If that is the case, I'll definitely post a link here in case people want to view it.

Hopefully the video won't suck, lol.

Thanks again.

Ozz
09-21-2009, 11:18 AM
...I think (but I'm not sure) that the presentation will be video recorded and possibly posted up on the web. ...Thanks again.
cool.

One more thing: Dress "one step" up from your audience

If they are in T-shirts, wear a polo shirt.
If they wear polos, wear a dress shirt.
If they wear dress shirts, put on a jacket
If they have on jackets, wear a tie

However, you don't want to wear a suit if they are in polos. You want to present an image of authority, but not superiority.

Good luck.

MattTuck
09-21-2009, 11:21 AM
cool.

You want to present an image of authority, but not superiority.

What if you are superior though? :rolleyes:

Karin Kirk
09-21-2009, 11:39 AM
What if you are superior though? :rolleyes:

Then wear your Rapha kit.

djg
09-21-2009, 12:18 PM
How (if at all) is the time partitioned? Are you giving a 1.5 hour talk (however formal or informal) or are you conducting a 1.5 hour session/lecture/class where some of the time will be set aside for discussion or questions?

I think that you've received a number of good suggestions. Here are a few embellishments:

If you are working from an outline or notes on a lecturn, put a watch or small clock next to your notes. If you haven't given a certain talk a few times (or many talks overall), pacing can be tricky, and simply having an easy way to see where you are on time can be pretty helpful. Find some way to do this that is NOT repeatedly checking a watch on your wrist.

1.5 hours sounds like a long time, but if you have much ground to cover, it's really not that long. Make your outline, break things down, and figure out what goes first, second, and third, and what gets more or less time. Once you are clear on those things, you can look at questions about how to open, close, or punctuate the whole talk or this or that section.

Informal talks can be great, but they amplify the importance of something that needs attention in any case; that is, the need to have a clear sense of the core information you wish to communicate and the ability to stay on-message if outside influences push you away from that core information.

With regard to slides, posters, or other projected material, pretty is pretty, but clarity ought to trump pyrotechnics. Graphics (slides, etc.) are great if they are clear and a big annoyance if they are not. So, for example, tables that might be appropriate to a journal, but that are difficult or impossible to read from the cheap seats, are terrible. Also, don't cram too much information on any one slide.

Some sort of hook to open is great. Both at the outset, and during the talk, engaging, grounding examples can be very helpful. At the same time, a string of engaging stories may make for a fine string of engaging stories, but six short stories don't necessarily add up to an explanation any more than they add up to structured data.

And you know this: reading a passage at people can be a terrific way to get a passage right; but reading an academic paper at people is deadly (the Yeats version is roughly this: a professor is a person who talks in someone else's sleep).

MattTuck
09-21-2009, 01:05 PM
How (if at all) is the time partitioned? Are you giving a 1.5 hour talk (however formal or informal) or are you conducting a 1.5 hour session/lecture/class where some of the time will be set aside for discussion or questions?

Thanks for the additional tips. I have a 1.5 hour session/lecture/class that I can do what I want with. There is a clock at the back of the room, so as a presenter, I can see it. I don't really stand behind a lecturn, as I tend to walk around the front of the room and sometimes up the aisles a few rows.

My current thinking is to talk for about 1 hour, hopefully getting through all/most of my content. Then give them a 7-10 minute break to stand-up, during which I will ask them to either pair up with another student or independently come up with one example where they could have used one of the strategies I presented, or an application of one of the strategies to their current project. (it's an entrepreneurship class, so they all have projects).

At which point, I should have 20 minutes left. I hope I'll use those as 15 minutes for discussion of the ideas they come up with, and then 5 minutes of closing comments.

MattTuck
10-08-2009, 01:14 PM
Presentation happened this morning!

It went pretty well, (actually, better than I expected it to go!) and the students seemed to be interested in hearing about the topic.

Thanks all who provided insights and advice, I used many different things that people suggested, and we had a few good sections with class-room discussion.

I included a section about Serotta too! Explaining bicycle fitting and how Serotta, in many ways, defined that competitive space through the fit cycle and SICI.

Overall, I felt pretty happy with what I did. Thanks!

Karin Kirk
10-08-2009, 02:23 PM
Nice work! Glad to hear it went well. We have found a definite correlation between how worried/focused you are for a talk and how well it goes. Seems that when you're too comfortable, things go flat. But when you're a bit worried about doing well, it really zings. Glad you scored with it! :banana:

Geoff
10-08-2009, 02:38 PM
didnt read all of the above, but be sure to have some water to drink.

oops didnt notice the date, glad it went well. That will teach me.

jonjones13
10-09-2009, 01:45 PM
Never done a 90-minute talk, but have given a few hour long ones.

Break it up into sections (then break them up into smaller sections) even if the audience don't notice too much it'll make your life a lot easier mentally

Just put bullet points on the screen and then talk around them -use them as cues

Put in some pictures/animations to break it up ever so often

Hopefully the subject topic will be of interest to the audience, so they actually give a sh1t what your talking about

Have a vodka beforehand to settle the nerves (only kidding :banana: )

jonjones13
10-09-2009, 01:46 PM
Jeez - must be the time lag, just seen that this has already happened - why do I always miss the boat ! :confused:

Well done that man, glad it went well.
Jon