PDA

View Full Version : rapha in asheville, nc

jvp
09-18-2009, 11:35 AM
Just saw this - short film is nice and the blog has me debating if I even want to try stoney fork road!
rapha in asheville (http://www.rapha.cc/asheville-nc--short-film-1)

Pete Serotta
09-18-2009, 12:06 PM
It makes me want to go up there this weekend. If you have never been there. you owe it to yourself to go. World class mountain and road riding.

PETE

fiamme red
09-18-2009, 12:09 PM
http://www.rapha.cc/asheville-nc

Ben Lieberson: Stoney Fork is like Paris Roubaix only uphill. The 15% section a mile before the end is just cruel, and ridiculous. You can’t convey how hard it is - harder than Brass Town Bald that’s for sure. In fact, imagine if they ripped the pavement off Brass Town Bald and dumped a load of rocky gravel on it. Then made it three times as long, that’s what Stoney Fork felt like. In a word, that climb is traumatic.

Well, if you Rapha people rode wider tires, and had lower gearing (even a triple chainring :eek: ), the climb wouldn't be so traumatic. But then again, if you eliminate the suffering, that defeats the whole purpose of these "epic" rides. :rolleyes:

http://www.rapha.cc/content/uploads/09_05_15_1_final.jpg

http://www.rapha.cc/content/uploads/09_05_15_10_final.jpg

texbike
09-18-2009, 12:41 PM
Ashville is a VERY cool place as are many of the other stops listed on the Rapha site.

However, the videos seem a little over the top in their suffering, over-dramatic, epic-ness. The riders all look so glum and unhappy. I feel REALLY bad for them. :rolleyes:

Texbike

Volant
09-18-2009, 02:05 PM
Are those pictures to show us that the guy needs a cleaning?

I'm heading over to Asheville this weekend. If the weather cooperates, I'll have to check the ride out.

jvp
09-18-2009, 02:14 PM
I've done downtown asheville to craggy gardens and return, it's very nice. I take old toll road behind the grove park inn to access the parkway. I don't really have a fat tire bike w/ adaquate gearing for stoney creek road, so I would rent or borrow a mtn. bike for that one I guess.

Mutt
09-18-2009, 04:39 PM
Our service manager, Kevin, led the Rapha crew on that death march. He's off Saturday, maybe he'd show you how nice that road is in the rain......

Mike in Asheville
Liberty Bicycles

Pete Serotta
09-18-2009, 04:43 PM
Mike and Claudia have one of the top shops I have ever been in. They are from the area and their staff is 2nd to none. Kevin can pull you up the hills without even breathing hard.

PETE

Our service manager, Kevin, led the Rapha crew on that death march. He's off Saturday, maybe he'd show you how nice that road is in the rain......

Mike in Asheville
Liberty Bicycles

wildboar
09-19-2009, 11:51 AM
Those guys make riding look like some serious, mean feeling stuff! Perhaps their clothes aren't very comfortable? :D

Michael Maddox
09-19-2009, 12:38 PM
"Something about your face...I just...I just want to PUNCH it!"

gdw
09-20-2009, 11:38 AM
The Rapha drama queens could make a half mile ride to the local coffee shop "epic". :rolleyes:

weaponsgrade
09-20-2009, 01:15 PM
The Rapha drama queens could make a half mile ride to the local coffee shop "epic". :rolleyes:

good one.

Steve in SLO
09-20-2009, 01:35 PM
Fiamme,
About the second pic you posted:
Just WHERE is that wipeage from?!? :eek:

Steve in SLO
09-20-2009, 01:39 PM
Dan Langlois: It’s damp like a jungle and I could hear running water the whole time. The road was covered with soft gravel, really soft gravel. I kept sliding sideways to the low side of the road when the camber got steep in the apex of turns. There was no place to take a drink because I couldn’t risk my hands off the bars anywhere. Oh, and I was in my lowest gear right from the start, the whole way up I never shifted, not once.

Poor Dan.
He could hear running water all the way but couldn't take a drink...the heart bleeds.

RBaker2778
09-20-2009, 02:33 PM
Dan Langlois: It’s damp like a jungle and I could hear running water the whole time. The road was covered with soft gravel, really soft gravel. I kept sliding sideways to the low side of the road when the camber got steep in the apex of turns. There was no place to take a drink because I couldn’t risk my hands off the bars anywhere. Oh, and I was in my lowest gear right from the start, the whole way up I never shifted, not once.

Poor Dan.
He could hear running water all the way but couldn't take a drink...the heart bleeds.

I know Dan Langlois personally, and have spoken with him about many of these epic rides. For anyone on here who doubts these riders, or these rides, I would caution against making such judgments. I can only speak about Dan since I don't know any of the other guys at all. I am willing to bet that most people on here could learn quite a bit about riding from Dan. Not to mention he is one of the nicest guys you could ever meet. I am not suggesting that anyone was stating anything to the contrary, but Dan is a very talented rider and racer.

Chris
09-20-2009, 02:44 PM
I know Dan Langlois personally, and have spoken with him about many of these epic rides. For anyone on here who doubts these riders, or these rides, I would caution against making such judgments. I can only speak about Dan since I don't know any of the other guys at all. I am willing to bet that most people on here could learn quite a bit about riding from Dan. Not to mention he is one of the nicest guys you could ever meet. I am not suggesting that anyone was stating anything to the contrary, but Dan is a very talented rider and racer.

Word. I don't know Dan, but do know many of the west-coast Continental riders and I hosted a ride in Oklahoma, did the ride in Boulder and just got back from the Gentlemen's race in Portland. To a man, each of these guys are as pleasant and unassuming as can be. They were gracious guests and riding with them was a real pleasure. If the Continental isn't for you, I get that, but to slam and ridicule people you have never met in ways that from those who know these guys is clearly off the mark, seems a little petty to me.

Steve in SLO
09-20-2009, 04:09 PM
My apologies if my response offended anyone. It certainly wasn't a personal attack on Dan, nor attempt to ridicule a person, but a response to the style of public presentation Rapha sometimes uses in their 'lifestyle' writings.

Pete Serotta
09-20-2009, 04:37 PM
Steve, i assure you did not mean anything negative toward Dan,,,

That is not Steve in any instance,,,,,,,PETE

jvp
09-20-2009, 04:40 PM
My intent when I posted the thread link was more about the asheville area than the rapha riders. Seeing others riding in a familiar locale and reading descriptions of those rides is kind of neat to me. I assumed they were suffering at times because they were probably riding longer and faster than I do!

Steve in SLO
09-20-2009, 04:40 PM
Thank you, Pete.
Seems I've done unintended damage here...I will excuse myself from this thread and go for a ride with my kids.

wildboar
09-20-2009, 04:43 PM
Are those pictures to show us that the guy needs a cleaning?

Don't worry I found this video where they soak in a creek for a while so he is probably cleaned up now.

http://vimeo.com/6489444?hd=1

RBaker2778
09-20-2009, 04:55 PM
Steve, i assure you did not mean anything negative toward Dan,,,

That is not Steve in any instance,,,,,,,PETE

I think everyone was rather calm. I surely didn't see my response as inflammatory. And honestly, I didn't think that Steve's original post said anything intentionally negative against Dan.

My intent was to pass on knowledge to some people who might not be familiar with the riders or the rides.

OK, enough of this. I too need to go ride my bike.

texbike
09-20-2009, 04:55 PM
Don't worry I found this video where they soak in a creek for a while so he is probably cleaned up now.

LOL! That's funny!

Once again, a bit overdone on the "epic-ness".

This is in no way a smack on the Rapha riders but on the style in which the videos were produced and the background music chosen for them. It does flavor my opinion of Rapha however and make me think that they are trying just a little too "epic-ly" (new word there...) for the image.

As a sidenote, man I LOVE the Texas Hill Country! Thanks for sharing the video.

Texbike

Pete Serotta
09-20-2009, 05:08 PM
RBaker2778 notr Steve were anything but courteous. I was just letting everyone know about Steve. The problem with the internet or email is that MANY things can be viewed differently than intended. (as an example what I said) :)

We all are good and I have a glass of CLARET, and wish you all were here to help me with a bottle or two., :beer:

Chris
09-20-2009, 05:19 PM
I didn't mean to add to (or create) any of the tension here. I only know Steve from the interweb here and I wasn't directing my comments toward him at all as he seems like a good guy, but I should have made that more clear. My beef is more that anytime The Continental or Rapha comes up, there is invariably this theme that those guys are trying too hard to be "epic." Having been around them a bunch, I don't believe this is the case. Instead, I think they are just trying to provide a different perspective of riding (rather than just racing). I get that a lot of it is marketing, but Rapha's support of projects like the Continental goes a little beyond marketing in my mind. All in all, I just hate to see us pick sides on stuff like this when the common theme is cycling.

paczki
09-20-2009, 05:35 PM

:banana: :banana: :banana:

I'm sure all of the riders are terrific guys and strong cyclists, and its great that Rapha sponsors them to do this, and I loved seeing the Texas Hill Country. But you have to admit those videos are real funny!

Pete Serotta
09-20-2009, 05:39 PM
When in Asheville stop in Liberty for routes, repairs, or just advice. It is a wonderful shop with OUTSTANDING service. If I could get my wife to move there I would be the shop every day between rides. I really like ASHEVILLE!!

That is an unpaid ad BUT it comes from the heart for the Liberty crew there are second to none!!! :cool: That is probably why the Ralpha gang stopped there...

gdw
09-20-2009, 05:46 PM
Rapha gets ragged upon because their marketing and prices are over the top. The suffering while looking good theme is pretty lame and their "epic" rides shtik overplayed. Sorry if you don't agree but that's how some us feel.

Chris
09-20-2009, 06:15 PM
Rapha gets ragged upon because their marketing and prices are over the top. The suffering while looking good theme is pretty lame and their "epic" rides shtik overplayed. Sorry if you don't agree but that's how some us feel.

It's fine to feel that way. I don't see their stuff as being overpriced in regards to the things that you would use on the bike. Sure some of the stuff like the scarf and the tweed jacket are outrageous, but you can spend a lot more on cycling clothing and many do. Like I said, if it isn't your bag, it isn't your bag. Maybe you should stop reading the accounts or paying attention to the "marketing" and you wouldn't have to worry so much about whether something you don't pay attention to or have any involvement with is "lame" or "shtik"

Michael Maddox
09-21-2009, 11:30 AM
It's fine to feel that way. I don't see their stuff as being overpriced in regards to the things that you would use on the bike. Sure some of the stuff like the scarf and the tweed jacket are outrageous, but you can spend a lot more on cycling clothing and many do. Like I said, if it isn't your bag, it isn't your bag. Maybe you should stop reading the accounts or paying attention to the "marketing" and you wouldn't have to worry so much about whether something you don't pay attention to or have any involvement with is "lame" or "shtik"

Hi, Chris, and welcome to the Internet. Sometimes on forums we like to have at the marketing and public image of famous brands and people. It doesn't mean we aren't personally assh*les, but frequently, we aren't. It's something to talk about.

I guarantee I'd love the hell out of a Rapha ride. Drinking beer with Dan after a climb like that would be balls! But their descriptions are SO turgid, it's difficult to take them too seriously. It's like a Bestseller sex scene...a bit too flowery to be real and obviously designed to excite the ladies. As a past writer of such crap, I recognize it when I smell my own brand.

No offense to Dan and the guys; they're riding hard, I'm sure. Keep the rubber side down!

fiamme red
09-21-2009, 11:47 AM
http://www.rapha.cc/glory-through-suffering-1

Glory through suffering

It was harder back then, too. Not more difficult, just harder. So much of cycling these days, and certainly contemporary racing, lacks the variables essential to a real experience: hunger, terrain, broken equipment, flat tires, shot wheels, waning sanity, fading daylight, weather, locals, unmarked and/or unimproved roads and whatever else that makes a ride, a real ride. Those variables and challenges cause suffering. And suffering is the whole point. It’s what transforms and commutes and delivers the goods. Glory requires the complete dirty, visceral and real experience.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

'I see, this is another one of these "death rides" where riders earn merit badges for flogging themselves and gain the right to forever after tell others of the anguish and agony of their valiant effort. I think you have a warped idea of bicycling. Stop grueling!'

'Conclude what you like, I think that people who are attracted to "grueling rides in the desert" are masochists and misconstrue what bicycle touring can be. The so called "Death Ride" is fashioned after beautiful rides in the Sierra Nevada that I and others instigated in the 1950's. Today a bunch of unprepared riders go there with support wagons to suffer and tell us about how bad it was.'

--Jobst Brandt

Chris
09-21-2009, 12:19 PM
Hi, Chris, and welcome to the Internet. Sometimes on forums we like to have at the marketing and public image of famous brands and people. It doesn't mean we aren't personally assh*les, but frequently, we aren't. It's something to talk about.

I guarantee I'd love the hell out of a Rapha ride. Drinking beer with Dan after a climb like that would be balls! But their descriptions are SO turgid, it's difficult to take them too seriously. It's like a Bestseller sex scene...a bit too flowery to be real and obviously designed to excite the ladies. As a past writer of such crap, I recognize it when I smell my own brand.

No offense to Dan and the guys; they're riding hard, I'm sure. Keep the rubber side down!

So, when you were a writer, did you have an editor or at least someone to read over your stuff and make sure you weren't leaving out words and using double or triple negatives?

gdw
09-21-2009, 12:52 PM
Lighten up Chris. This is an open forum and we are allowed to state our opinions. You are a Rapha fan and some of us aren't.... life goes on.

benb
09-21-2009, 12:58 PM
Count me in the "lame-o marketing shtik" camp too.

The least they could do is exaggerate and claim it was 25%.

Too many riders have done 15% sections of climbs without getting all "epic" for them to get away with this.

Like others I'm sure the riders are cool but the way Rapha turns it into a show is lamer then lame. Sometimes it all seems like a big joke and Rapha is laughing all the way to the bank.

Oh no, a little dirt! Pity us fools who occasionally ride mountain bikes.. oh the humanity and suffering!

Chris
09-21-2009, 01:09 PM
Lighten up Chris. This is an open forum and we are allowed to state our opinions. You are a Rapha fan and some of us aren't.... life goes on.

I'm not the one with my panties in a wad here. I have been consistent throughout this thread and others that if you don't care for Rapha or the way they approach marketing their wares that is more than fine with me. It's a company, they market, some like it, some don't. I don't own part of the company or stand to benefit.

Believe me, your dislike of some company's ad campaign doesn't cost me a moment's displeasure. But when people start commenting on the riders, some of whom have become my friends, I am equally entitled to speak up and state my opinion. Then when someone wants to patronize me and educate me about the internet (all in fun, I am sure), I can respond to that with a response that was as tongue-in-cheek as his. If that ruffles your feathers and you feel like you have to jump in like you are his big sister, well, you can also file that under the not losing sleep about it column. Mike is a big boy. I don't think my barb hurt his feelings as his didn't mine. I'm a little concerned though about yours. You going to be okay? Want me to call someone?

texbike
09-21-2009, 01:11 PM
So, when you were a writer, did you have an editor or at least someone to read over your stuff and make sure you weren't leaving out words and using double or triple negatives?

Come on Chris...you're from OKC. You should be accustomed to multiple negation! :)

Texbike

Chris
09-21-2009, 01:15 PM
touche :)

Derailer
09-21-2009, 01:25 PM
Rapha taps in to my cycling philosophy perfectly: if you're going to be slow, at least look good doing it.

fiamme red
09-21-2009, 01:57 PM
The Rapha reports show a lot of pictures of riders changing flats. Maybe, if they're riding dirt roads, they should think about more puncture-resistant tires? But again, it's all about the suffering, and getting flats is part of that. :rolleyes:

http://www.rapha.cc/content/uploads/Robertson_Tom_Missoula-4.jpg

http://www.rapha.cc/content/uploads/lincoln_continental_25.jpg

http://www.rapha.cc/content/uploads/bear_tooth_027.jpg

benb
09-21-2009, 02:08 PM
What is the dry cleaning bill after changing a tire in Rapha clothes?

Maybe they take little packets of pre-moistened wipes to keep from spoiling their bespoke apparel with grease.

Ozz
09-21-2009, 02:28 PM
No doubt, it is more epic in black & white.

:beer:

fiamme red
09-21-2009, 02:49 PM
No doubt, it is more epic in black & white.

:beer:All right, here's another epic photo. :)

Note the mini-pump. Using a full-size frame pump would be too easy and would reduce the suffering needlessly. ;)

http://www.rapha.cc/images/Old-Colony-9-big.jpg

Ozz
09-21-2009, 03:48 PM
Nice, but is that a "tube" on the ground??? I figured the Rapha guys would be on tubulars....patching the tube and sewing them up on the side of the road??

Clinchers are just so........convenient?

Seems incongruous with the imagery.

BumbleBeeDave
09-21-2009, 03:53 PM

gdw has it nailed . . . "WE are SO cool." :cool:

$205.00 for a VEST?!? :rolleyes:

$45 for a frickin' T-SHIRT?!? :eek:

$240 for A. Wool. Shirt. :crap:

At least the Assos stuff LOOKS like it's got some high-tech in it.

Sorry, but every time I see anything from Rapha I wonder if I'm looking at a serious pitch or a National Lampoon parody. Wear it if you want. I just won't be joining you.

BBD

Chris
09-21-2009, 04:07 PM
gdw has it nailed . . . "WE are SO cool." :cool:

$205.00 for a VEST?!? :rolleyes:

$45 for a frickin' T-SHIRT?!? :eek:

$240 for A. Wool. Shirt. :crap:

At least the Assos stuff LOOKS like it's got some high-tech in it.

Sorry, but every time I see anything from Rapha I wonder if I'm looking at a serious pitch or a National Lampoon parody. Wear it if you want. I just won't be joining you.

BBD

I pondered replying at all, considering all the trouble I've caused already, but when Dave says that the clothing is something he wouldn't wear, that's as good an endorsement for a clothing company as it gets... :)

Pete Serotta
09-21-2009, 04:48 PM
If folks buy or do not buy Rapha clothing OR like or not like it...THAT IS OK>

Spice is the love of life!!! :beer: I wear almost any JERSEY that is GIVEN to me!!!! I am an equal opportunity guy, If Rapha sees fit to "loan" me one - I will wear it. Otherwise I will not have one - just too much $$s (although I spend on wine - but then we all have likes and priorities)

Please lets all be friends.

AND THANKS FOR POINTING OUT ANOTHER OF MY TYPOS>>>>>> :) PETE

Guess there is no RALPHA

jlwdm
09-21-2009, 04:51 PM
Rapha has some good and some bad. I understand people thinking some of their marketing and clothing is over the top. I just do not understand the constant rehashing of this same subject. I have taken some positives from Rapha.

Is their "epic" marketing over the top? Yes

Are the Rapha riders great riders? Everything I see points to yes. I understand they get clothing and some expenses, but no cash payments. Most people on the forum would love to be able to ride as well as they do.

Are some clothing items ridiculous. Yes.

I just focus on two things from Rapha:

1. Great Clothes: The bibs are expensive but wonderful. 70 miles yesterday and never a thought about the bibs. I buy Assos on sale so I can always get them cheaper, but the Rapha bibs are a value to me at $200. I also have a Club Jersey - it just fits right. I like the understated look also. Unfortunately if you wait to get jerseys the availability is limited - otherwise I would have more.

2. Ride Routes: I have looked at the Rapha route maps and done shorter rides incorporating parts of their longer routes.

I like that they sponsor a cycling team in the UK also.

These benefits are positives to me. I can ignore the rest.

Jeff

BumbleBeeDave
09-21-2009, 04:51 PM
I pondered replying at all, considering all the trouble I've caused already, but when Dave says that the clothing is something he wouldn't wear, that's as good an endorsement for a clothing company as it gets... :)

:D :D :D

Yes, I admit it! I will not buy anything they make because there's no zebra stripes! :p

BBD

jlwdm
09-21-2009, 04:54 PM
If folks buy or do not buy Ralpha clothing OR like or not like it...THAT IS OK>

At least take the "l" and make it "Rapha" not "Ralpha." Or did that have special meaning?

Jeff

Ozz
09-21-2009, 04:55 PM
...Please lets all be friends.
we're all still friends.....just engaging in a little locker-room trash-talk, giving each other a hard time. :beer:

FWIW - I have a Rapha "Andy" jersey....but I will admit I bought it used and have never worn it....not sure why....just haven't. I think I need the matching Pegoretti bike to present the right image.

jlwdm
09-21-2009, 04:56 PM
:D :D :D

Yes, I admit it! I will not buy anything they make because there's no zebra stripes! :p

BBD

BBD:

No zebra stripes, but plenty of black and white jerseys - is that close enough or do you have to have the real deal? I guess we all know the answer to that question.

Jeff

paczki
09-21-2009, 05:18 PM
At least take the "l" and make it "Rapha" not "Ralpha." Or did that have special meaning?

Jeff

As in "knowing what those streams next to cattle ranches in Texas are filled with, the thought of bathing in them kinda makes me want to Ralpha"?

Michael Maddox
09-21-2009, 06:06 PM
we're all still friends.....just engaging in a little locker-room trash-talk, giving each other a hard time. :beer:

FWIW - I have a Rapha "Andy" jersey....but I will admit I bought it used and have never worn it....not sure why....just haven't. I think I need the matching Pegoretti bike to present the right image.

Oh, the Andy jersey is the shizz. I forgot about that one.

And I didn't not use none of dem doubly-negatory things...