PDA

View Full Version : Pet-peeve: the singlespeed class in mtb races.

nahtnoj
09-17-2009, 09:51 PM
My understanding of racing has always been that the objective is to finish in the least amount of time.

Why do those who intentionally handicap themselves get their own racing class to do it in?

Not saying that a lot of the dudes racing SS aren't fast, but on almost all courses they would certainly be faster with gears.

Are there SS classes in cross, or is it just an MTB thing?

weatherman
09-17-2009, 10:03 PM
My understanding of racing has always been that the objective is to finish in the least amount of time.

Why do those who intentionally handicap themselves get their own racing class to do it in?

Not saying that a lot of the dudes racing SS aren't fast, but on almost all courses they would certainly be faster with gears.

Depending upon the race/circumstances, I'd take the SS out over the geared bike. A particular muddy/nasty lap in the middle of a 24 hour race a few years ago comes to mind. Lost track of the number of geared riders I smoked on that lap.

SS Cross, sure have raced that as well and again, depends on the course and conditions.

Its a different challenge---try it (guessing you haven't, my apologies if you have) before you knock it. Just my $0.01
:D

Bruce K
09-18-2009, 04:31 AM
Yes there are ss classes in cross too.

On flatter courses ss cross bikes can be pretty darn fast.

BK

Likes2ridefar
09-18-2009, 06:34 AM

The obvious answer would be they are different types of bikes so they should be in different categories.

If two guys are racing of similar abilities, one on a geared bike, one on a single speed, the geared bike should generally always win. So, if you want to draw single speeders to an event it would certainly benefit the race attendance to allow them to race against each other. then, for their category, it's exactly what you said, the winner 'finishes in the least amount of time.'

Mikej
09-18-2009, 06:59 AM
The Pro class is routinely won on a ss here in Wisconsin - has been for years. check WORS site. One year one of the ss guys took overall at Chequamegon 40!

peanutgallery
09-18-2009, 07:29 AM
According to guys (and ladies) whose kneecaps have popped off, its "fun" and a new "challenge"

don'TreadOnMe
09-18-2009, 07:34 AM
Let's ask Marty Nothstein.

staggerwing
09-18-2009, 08:11 AM
Almost any form of racing you care to think about, motorized or human powered, has different classes. Much of motor racing is subdivided by displacement, but can also be divided by fuel type, naturally aspirated/turbo, 2-stroke/4-stroke, rotary/conventional, and so on. Many forms of human racing are classed by sex, age, and assisting technology, all attempts to level the playing the field.

If there are enough participants to form a field, the question is why not?

chuckred
09-18-2009, 09:24 AM

Some of us also intentionally handicap ourselves by getting older and working for a living! Glad they have classes for us as well!

redir
09-18-2009, 09:47 AM
SS mountain biking? Pfffft! Go fixed!

Seriously a friend of mine was showing me his fixed MTB yesterday, it's all in good fun and actually in the Harrisonburg area of Virginia back in the day there were some fixed MTB racers that were incredible.

Me? I like gears too.