PDA

View Full Version : One of those rides

gdw
09-16-2009, 10:48 AM
After 20,000+ miles of use my bottom bracket gave up the ghost at the furthest point away from home yesterday. The bearings on the drive-side ate through the cup and escaped onto the singletrack. I had regreased the bearings three weeks ago and they seemed fine. Anyone have a set of WTB New Paradigm cups they would like to get rid of?

PS - I hoofed it home, 4 miles of which were on pavement with heavy bike traffic, and was surprised at how few cyclists asked if I needed help. 3 mountain bikers out of 7 who rode by offered assistance but not one of the 20 or so roadies who passed had a word to say. :crap:

pbjbike
09-16-2009, 11:10 AM
What a drag! You might want to contact WTB about this, and see if they'll replace the cups and bearings. Worth a shot.

BumbleBeeDave
09-16-2009, 11:19 AM
. . . I always ask if I see someone stopped and looking like they are having an issue. I would hope others would do the same for me. Sounds like a bummer of a day!

BBD

skijoring
09-16-2009, 11:45 AM
Man, I'd say that is a GREAT service life for a BB. Glad you didn't tumble on account of it failing.

MattTuck
09-16-2009, 11:54 AM
I too always ask if people need help. Even if I'm in my car.

I always thought that if I were stuck somewhere a person in a pick-up truck would offer to carry me and the bike. I guess that is wishful thinking.

Dekonick
09-16-2009, 12:45 PM
I too always ask if people need help. Even if I'm in my car.

I always thought that if I were stuck somewhere a person in a pick-up truck would offer to carry me and the bike. I guess that is wishful thinking.

+1

You never know - karma can be a bitch...

rugbysecondrow
09-16-2009, 12:50 PM
+1

You never know - karma can be a bitch...

Agreed. I always ask and I have always been asked. Luckily I have never had to accept somebodies assistance, but glad it has been offered.

That is crappy about the other roadies. I find it curious because most of us like to stick up for other cyclists, but this shows us that in some instances, they don't deserve it.

rockdude
09-16-2009, 12:56 PM
Road bikers not helping a person that is not on a road bike? That's unheard of in Boulder :rolleyes:

I too always ask if someone needs help. Its nice to give help and recieve help.

gdw
09-16-2009, 01:36 PM
and feel that it lasted much longer than one should expect under the conditions it was used. Hopefully a replacement will turn up on Ebay.

I didn't mind hoofing home but was disappointed although not surprised with the road riders who passed by without offering assistance. Boulder seems to attract more than its share of asshats and unfortunately many of them ride bikes. That said, I'll continue offering assistance to riders who are having problems regardless of the bike they ride.

Dave
09-16-2009, 03:48 PM
While there is something to be said for getting the most from a component, it often makes sense to change parts before disaster strikes.

I change car batteries (especially OEM) about every 4 years, whether they need it or not. I'd rather waste $10-15 in life rather than get stranded. I've had failures at several times over the last 40 years and learned my lesson.

gdw
09-16-2009, 04:11 PM
The WTB bottom bracket had been retired several years ago and replaced by a Shimano. Unfortunately the Shimano died in late July after about 12,000 miles so the WTB went back on. My plan was to ride it until I could find a quality replacement on Ebay or at the upcoming Veloswap. Top quality, XT level and above, square tapered bottom brackets aren't as common as they once were.

dwightskin
09-16-2009, 04:24 PM
quality

Biketoolsetc.com carries Tange in various quality levels, for instance Tange LN79 for $35.

Maybe that's LX level? I thought that Shimano were re-badged Tange anyway.

gdw
09-16-2009, 04:33 PM
Thanks. I'll check them out if I strike out at Veloswap.

paulrad9
09-16-2009, 05:07 PM
Agreed. I always ask and I have always been asked. Luckily I have never had to accept somebodies assistance, but glad it has been offered.

That is crappy about the other roadies. I find it curious because most of us like to stick up for other cyclists, but this shows us that in some instances, they don't deserve it.
I don't think it's the type of rider which dictates if they offer help, but the competency of the rider. Put another way - there are tons of people who own $4k bikes and can't fix a flat. They won't ask you if you need help because they wouldn't know what to do to help you.

I have met some riders who won't ride alone simply because they want someone else to assist them when trouble arises; they either don't want to know how to fix stuff or just don't care.

I once met that person doing a two day ride, where I underestimated the distance and found myself riding in the dark in the middle of RI. A woman came by asked me if I needed help then drove me & my bike to my hotel. She saved the day!

BumbleBeeDave
09-16-2009, 05:25 PM
I once met that person doing a two day ride, where I underestimated the distance and found myself riding in the dark in the middle of RI. A woman came by asked me if I needed help then drove me & my bike to my hotel. She saved the day!

. . . there's a letter to PENTHOUSE somewhere in there, but . . . oh, never mind! :) :rolleyes: ;)

BBD

Ken Robb
09-17-2009, 09:28 AM
The WTB bottom bracket had been retired several years ago and replaced by a Shimano. Unfortunately the Shimano died in late July after about 12,000 miles so the WTB went back on. My plan was to ride it until I could find a quality replacement on Ebay or at the upcoming Veloswap. Top quality, XT level and above, square tapered bottom brackets aren't as common as they once were.

what size do you need?

dgauthier
09-17-2009, 01:38 PM
. . . not one of the 20 or so roadies who passed had a word to say. :crap:

Why must we always assume the worst?

The road bikers might have thought you had a flat. Not too many road bikers carry spare tubes that will fit a mountain bike.

BumbleBeeDave
09-17-2009, 02:32 PM
Why must we always assume the worst?

The road bikers might have thought you had a flat. Not too many road bikers carry spare tubes that will fit a mountain bike.

. . . CO2, pumps, cell phones to call for help, etc. Sorry, but I still think it's very uncool that not one of those guys passing by would even ask if the guy needed help. :no:

BBD

Ozz
09-17-2009, 02:39 PM
...PS - I hoofed it home, 4 miles of which were on pavement with heavy bike traffic, and was surprised at how few cyclists asked if I needed help. 3 mountain bikers out of 7 who rode by offered assistance but not one of the 20 or so roadies who passed had a word to say. :crap:
Did any of the 3 that stopped have a spare BB & tool to help you out? :D ;) :rolleyes:

FWIW - I stop for people that look clueless or like they need help...typically on a "city-bike" or such, and all they need is a phone to call for a ride. Folks that look like they know what they are doing....I let them be.

FWIW +1 - if I saw you hoofing it....I would have offered you my phone.

:beer:

gdw
09-17-2009, 09:00 PM
Ken, 110 x 68mm. Thanks.

As Dave pointed out, you don't need tools to help someone who is in a jam. Asking if you can help is a simple courtesy and while no one carries an extra bottom bracket and tools, many have cellphones.....especially those folks who aren't able to do basic repairs.

Breaking components while mountain biking is part of the game. I'm a big boy and can take care of myself and have had to hike a number of times in the past. This occasion was unique in that I was walking back on one of the most popular road routes in South Boulder during prime post work riding time.