PDA

View Full Version : Highland Park NJ bike shops?

Cantdog
09-15-2009, 09:33 PM
I've got a good friend who is looking to start road biking and he called me up with some questions. I don't know any shops in the area, but anyone have suggestions for places around Highland Park NJ? He is looking to spend 1000-1200, and I really want to make sure he gets fit well and can go to a shop that will work with him with swapping stems, saddles, that sort of thing.

fiamme red
09-15-2009, 09:59 PM
I've heard good things about The Bike Stand in Scotch Plains.

jbrainin
09-15-2009, 10:31 PM
Well, he can always try Highland Park Cyclery (www.hpcyclery.com) who apparently sell every known Trek product and some Electra bikes to fill the gaps. They've had a decent, if not stellar, reputation over the years. Probably fine for a first bike but not the place I'd want to go when replacing that bike.

Or they can go to Stirling, NJ to High Gear Cyclery, a long-time Serotta dealer and probably the best shop in central NJ. (Just make sure Pete Schmidt works on your bike.)

EddieBirdsell
09-16-2009, 09:47 AM
Or they can go to Stirling, NJ to High Gear Cyclery, a long-time Serotta dealer and probably the best shop in central NJ. (Just make sure Pete Schmidt works on your bike.)

+1 on High Gear. I have more experience with their Millburn location, but they are a Serotta dealer and the wrenches and staff have been awesome to us.

Rhody
09-16-2009, 09:55 AM
+2 on High Gear (Stirling). I have always dealt with Craig Ward.

Blue Jays
09-16-2009, 10:16 AM
"I've heard good things about The Bike Stand in Scotch Plains."Their crew of guys in red, black, & white "Fatmen" kit ride out of that shop and can be seen around the country. They are a featured sponsor of e-RICHIE Sach's team as well.
Friday nights feature an open invitation for "social beer night" at the shop to chat about bikes.

"+1 on High Gear. I have more experience with their Millburn location, but they are a Serotta dealer and the wrenches and staff have been awesome to us."This shop enjoys a very solid reputation. They can be seen all over in their blue and yellow kit. A guy named John at the Millburn location is especially helpful.

Pete Serotta
09-16-2009, 10:40 AM
Two shops I highly recommend are Cyclesport (Mike Grotz)in Park Ridge NJ and Signature Cycle in NYC (Paul Levine).

This is not to disparage against other shops but I have personally done business with both for over a decade.

PETE

fiamme red
09-16-2009, 10:44 AM
Two shops I highly recommend are Cyclesport (Mike Grotz)in Park Ridge NJ and Signature Cycle in NYC (Paul Levine).A bike fit by Paul Levine will probably not be in the $1,000-$1,200 range. :)

Pete Serotta
09-16-2009, 11:04 AM
Yes, Cyclesport can do it for they have Specialized, Trek, Cannondale

A bike fit by Paul Levine will probably not be in the $1,000-$1,200 range. :)

jbrainin
09-16-2009, 02:43 PM
Two shops I highly recommend are Cyclesport (Mike Grotz)in Park Ridge NJ and Signature Cycle in NYC (Paul Levine).

This is not to disparage against other shops but I have personally done business with both for over a decade.

PETE

Both are fine shops, but are much farther from Highland Park than High Gear. There is value to be had be finding a somewhat more local bike shop.

Pete Serotta
09-16-2009, 05:51 PM
Very definitely!!

Both are fine shops, but are much farther from Highland Park than High Gear. There is value to be had be finding a somewhat more local bike shop.