PDA

View Full Version : Ever have an "off" ride?

joelh
09-15-2009, 07:15 PM
I have shifted from mornings to evenings for my 15 mile mid week rides with the sun coming up so late. Today I had to fight to get on the bike and go out. Usually when that happens, I feel fine after a couple of miles. Today by mile 8 I was just miserable. Downhill felt like flats and uphills felt like epic climbs. At mile 11, I just bagged it and made a right turn toward home. Surprisingly, my average speed was ok.

I know it is just a tired thing, but I hate coming home from a ride feeling like I failed.

Elefantino
09-15-2009, 07:44 PM
Yep. Happens to everyone. Look at Landis in the 2006 Tour.

My suggestion: T-bag it. :D

johnnymossville
09-15-2009, 07:47 PM
happens at least a dozen times a year for me. I usually cut those rides short.

Karl Lee
09-15-2009, 07:51 PM
I think we all have those days, we just don't like to talk about them. I was out on a ride a couple of weeks ago and felt exactly like you did. I felt lousy that hot day but wanted to ride and wasn't properly hydrated and barely made it home. Hills felt like mountains and that 25 mile ride felt like 100. Got home and slept for hours! For me hydration is key and makes a big difference in my outlook and physical ability. Good post, keep riding.

jasond
09-15-2009, 07:51 PM
I had my off ride on Saturdays Century ride. My legs were trashed for the most part after the first climb (roughly 5.5 miles of 6 to 7% grade, nothing to major). From there I had a rough time keeping up with the group of people I climbed with. I finally caught up to the group at the third stop when two other riders came into the rest stop (both riding Serotta's one guy was wearing Exeter Cycles gear). Well, we all leave pretty much at the same time and I tell myself I have to keep up with everyone for as long as I could. With the other two guys added to the group the speeds increased. Just when I decided I couldn't keep up the two guys decided they wanted to go off the front and put the hammer down. NO ONE could keep up to these two. I have to give it to the one wearing exeter cycles gear because he was twice my age and then some. I'd bet he could trash me on my good day.

The rest of the ride was pretty much by myself and for the most part I felt like crud.

J

regularguy412
09-15-2009, 08:05 PM
... the "OTD" factor. If you don't feel like going Out The Door, then don't. Go take a nap and then sit on the couch and have chips and salsa. Really.

Next day, go for an easy spin,,, with the option to go farther, if you want. You'll be surprised how you feel when the pressure is off.

Mike in AR:beer:

Rest is underrated.

Satellite
09-15-2009, 08:07 PM
LOL, every day for me :banana:

johnmdesigner
09-15-2009, 08:15 PM
Got up this morning, beautiful day, didn't want to ride.
Went anyway.
First 10 bad, next 20, better.
Coffee and 2 gels and am flying the next 15.
Feel like crap tonight.
Glad I went. :D

avalonracing
09-15-2009, 08:18 PM
I've had them on the bike many times. Sometimes I push through, sometimes I turn around. I've even had one on my motorcycle yesterday. Not that I didn't want to ride I was just "off my game". When I have off days on the m/c I get right home and park the bike as there is no room for error.

rugbysecondrow
09-15-2009, 08:23 PM
Most days I try to push through as I was always taught to practice or train like you play in the game. Since I do triathlons, I need that mental toughness that comes with gutting it out. If I am injured, that is something different, but if my legs feel like bricks, then I just suck it up.

If I am just doing a pleasure ride though, I might meander through a less strenuous route than planned, but still do the approx distance.

Cheers

false_Aest
09-15-2009, 08:31 PM
Those are my Thursday afternoon, Friday morning and Friday afternoon rides.

I try to push through on Thursdays and do hill repeats at the end.

Friday I just coast.

Saturday I do the dishes.

Ken Robb
09-15-2009, 11:25 PM
the older you get the more "off" rides you will have. :rolleyes:

mgm777
09-15-2009, 11:40 PM
Used to beat myself up over the "Off Ride" day. Now, I ride out the door, assess how I feel on the one mile ride out of the development and then continue from there based on the results of the assessment. Nowadays, when I have an off-day, I usually turnaround before I get out of the housing development. I figure an off-day is a symptom signalling the need for more rest and recovery.

Blue Jays
09-16-2009, 12:26 AM
Definitely assess nutrition and fluids for recovery as well.
The modern protein / carbohydrate / electrolyte supplements do wonders.

jblande
09-16-2009, 01:43 AM
I agree with False Aest: a lot of the time, when I feel like crap, I try to do something skill oriented. Either hill repeats, or sometimes I try to concentrate on keeping my cadence at exactly 95 (I am convinced :bike: that is my most efficient cadence). Work on something else, and you will make the ride productive.

MattTuck
09-16-2009, 08:44 AM
Had those. For me, I find it a good indicator of overtraining and spend the next few days either off the bike or light spinning.

Guess it is different for everyone.

Unfortunately, this year I haven't been riding enough to have "off" days... hopefully next year will be better.

SEABREEZE
09-16-2009, 08:58 AM
[QUOTE=MattTuck]Had those. For me, I find it a good indicator of overtraining and spend the next few days either off the bike or light spinning.

Guess it is different for everyone.

QUOTE]

One needs to listen to the body and not the mind. the mind says train, and the body says it needs to rest and recooperate.

However thats easier said than done.
At one time or another we all are guilty of this.

Volant
09-16-2009, 09:47 AM
I had one just the other night. I had changed tires the night before and I kept looking down thinking I had a slow-leak or flat. It messes with you more mentally than physically. I've found to just put that day behind and go to the next. Just like roads, there are ups and downs between riding days.

derosa_guy
09-16-2009, 10:11 AM
At this time of the year in CT, the days are getting short and rain is likely. If I have a chance to ride I ride, even if I don't feel like it. On an off day make the best of it. Take off your computer, pedal easy, ride roads you never ride or have never been on. Actually look around, at the houses, the woods, the wildlife. Off days don't mean you can't enjoy the ride...

MattTuck
09-16-2009, 10:16 AM
...ride roads you never ride or have never been on. Actually look around, at the houses, the woods, the wildlife.

Indeed, don't spend too much time looking around or else "the wildlife" will get you.

derosa_guy
09-16-2009, 10:32 AM
Indeed, don't spend too much time looking around or else "the wildlife" will get you.

In our neck of the woods, the wildlife is a major concern. Almost hit a deer 2 nights ago (on my bike). Man that would hurt!

Jeff N.
09-16-2009, 10:37 AM
I've had plenty of off days. But there's nothing like making up for it with those days when you're really feeling good, hitting on all 8. Jeff N.

Ray
09-16-2009, 11:33 AM
I've had plenty of off days. But there's nothing like making up for it with those days when you're really feeling good, hitting on all 8. Jeff N.
No kidding. You wouldn't appreciate the good ones without the bad ones to compare 'em to. My last 3 rides have been incredibly good. Happens every year about this time. Combination of better weather, the best shape of the year, and no damn need in the world to be in a hurry, combine to make rides feel soooooo damn good. As long as I don't go too far into the red, I feel as good going uphill as I usually do on the flats. Its wonderful. But there were countless rides during the spring and summer where I felt like I was riding through quicksand, fighting for every mile.

The good with the bad. Kind of like life.

-Ray

RPS
09-16-2009, 11:36 AM
the older you get the more "off" rides you will have. :rolleyes:
Much wisdom here. :beer: