PDA

View Full Version : Truly water-PROOF lightweight shell . . .

BumbleBeeDave
09-15-2009, 11:36 AM
Is there such a thing? I really love my Pearl Optik jacket as a "stuff it in your pocket on every ride and forget it" type of shell. But their claim of water resistance apparently lasts only until the material actually gets wet. Not too useful if it drizzles for more than a few minutes.

So thinking ahead toward Christmas for myself, I'm wondering if there is a truly lightweight shell out there that really is waterproof. I've seen quite a few . . . Assos makes bold claims for the ClimaJet Breaker jacket, but it's also $250. Kind of an expensive experiement to find out whether it really works.

Garneau has their Wind Chill jacket, but again there's that measly-mouthed "water resistant" claim.

Pearl also now apparently has their P.R.O. Barrier Lite jacket that replaces the Optik? But--oops, look at that description . . . water resistant.

And here's Giordana, which has something called the "Monsoon." Maybe THIS one?

I'm open to suggestions. It has to be truly packable, really waterproof for a reasonable length of time after it starts raining, reasonably breathable (no clear PVC, please). Oh, and it can't be that incredibly ugly neon yellow/green color.

Am I asking too much? What works for you?

BBD

goonster
09-15-2009, 11:46 AM
First: you're not looking for waterproof. Garbage bags are waterproof. You want a jacket that keeps you as dry as possible while exercising vigorously in the rain.

Second: I'm aware of no truly packable jackets that meet this standard. Perhaps the closest thing is the most minimalist Gore jacket, although their product lineup has changed since I looked into it.

The conclusion I've reached: Choose packable or rain protection. For packable I use a generic PVC jacket with mesh side panels and sleeves cut off at the elbow. Works remarkably well and is effectively disposable. For protection I have a top-of-the-line Showers Pass jacket. Battle tested at PBP '07. It works.

PoppaWheelie
09-15-2009, 11:48 AM
Good question. I wondered the same thing for a while and then just gave up. I did quite a bit of Google research on the Assos jacket and found plenty of people complaining that it is about as breathable as a garbage bag. I ended up buying a "resistant" jacket and have been happy enough.

nahtnoj
09-15-2009, 11:50 AM
Look into Showers Pass. I asked this question a few months ago and got positive feedback on them but never went ahead with a purchase.

dave thompson
09-15-2009, 12:00 PM
I've used an Novarra (REI) Express bike jacket http://www.rei.com/product/786485 since 2005. It's pretty close to being a shell; lightweight and it can be stuffed into it's own rear pocket easily. It is one of the very best water resistant jackets I've owned, it kept me quite dry on a very rainy two week cycling trip through the Danube Valley several years ago.

Pete Serotta
09-15-2009, 12:04 PM
Showers Pass is wonderful clothing as are the folks(Debbie and ED) to deal with. Give them a call and ask questions. Just tell them Pete from Serotta is dropping their names. Really their clothing for cycling is second to none. I have been using it for over a year.

Dave - water proof as others have mentioned is a "many meaning" term. As mentioned, a green plastic garbage bag is "rain" proof BUT you will get plenty of water from the inside sweat.

You want a garment that breathes as much as possible and keeps the rain out. Through under arm zippers and venting the advance clothing like SHOWERSPASS let the moisture out and keeps the rain from coming in.

gdw
09-15-2009, 12:04 PM
Bike specific gear, Showers Pass gear gets rave reviews from the masses. Too expensive, O2 Rainwear is cheap and works well but doesn't score any points with the coffee shop crowd. If you want to spend a little more -$100- and function is more important than fashion, check out the Marmot Pre-Cip jacket. It's a reasonably priced do-it-all piece of rain gear which could be tailored for a more athletic road fit for around $20.

54ny77
09-15-2009, 12:14 PM
This IS waterproof. Run it under the sink and you'll see for yourself (as I have)!

Ultra light, and fabric breathes too allowing moisture to escape. It's the PBK version of other brands' products that use the same material and charge 3-4x as much...

This reminds me to order the jacket too (I have the vest).

http://www.probikekit.com/display.php?code=C0606

dnades
09-15-2009, 12:27 PM
Get the shower's pass elite jacket. Extremely well made and keeps one dry. I never put down that amount of $$ for a riding jacket(christmas present to myself) but was very glad I did. I wear it non biking too. Hiking etc. It is very reflective at night. The hood is an extra 20 bucks but is worth it if you wear it off the bike. It only comes in one color: black. The hood that is.

The zippers are really tight(this is 'cool' at first and they do loosen up over time (a bit)) and I sometimes find myself wishing it had 'normal' pockets instead of the single back pocket. But it keeps me dry and it was money well spent as I won't be buying another jacket to replace a cheaper one that doesn't work so well. I am 6' and weigh 160 and fit into the large. According to their sizing chart I could've fit into their medium but due to my height the fellow there said 'Large' without hesitation.

jeffg
09-15-2009, 12:32 PM
Cliche, but the Assos Climajet is awesome.

Breathes very well (you can wear it climbing), and keeps you dry in the rain for quite a while.

$$$$, but one of the few Assos pieces imho where you get what you pay for ...

BumbleBeeDave
09-15-2009, 12:54 PM
. . . shame it's only in black. Hard to imagine wearing a black jacket out in a dark, shadowy rainstorm. The vest 54ny mentions does look good, but I want something with sleeves, Dammit! :p

http://www.probikekit.com/display.php?code=C0708

BBD

flydhest
09-15-2009, 01:13 PM
. . . shame it's only in black. Hard to imagine wearing a black jacket out in a dark, shadowy rainstorm. The vest 54ny mentions does look good, but I want something with sleeves, Dammit! :p

http://www.probikekit.com/display.php?code=C0708

BBD

Dave, I hear you thoughts about black in a rainstorm, but my view is that if you are relying on visibility from your clothes to keep you safe from cars, you are already on borrowed time. One too many times have I had cars do dangerous things and somehow not see me in broad daylight while I'm wearing bright colors. I don't mind wearing black anymore, even at night. It reminds me that they won't see me, whether or not they can.

Lewym
09-15-2009, 01:24 PM
I'll add my recommendation on the Showers Pass Double Century. Packs up easily into a jersey pocket and works very well. And I have had plenty of opportunity to test it in Seattle weather. Only negative is that it does not have pockets - you need to rely on your jersey for that.

EDS
09-15-2009, 01:36 PM
Is there such a thing? I really love my Pearl Optik jacket as a "stuff it in your pocket on every ride and forget it" type of shell. But their claim of water resistance apparently lasts only until the material actually gets wet. Not too useful if it drizzles for more than a few minutes.

So thinking ahead toward Christmas for myself, I'm wondering if there is a truly lightweight shell out there that really is waterproof. I've seen quite a few . . . Assos makes bold claims for the ClimaJet Breaker jacket, but it's also $250. Kind of an expensive experiement to find out whether it really works.

Garneau has their Wind Chill jacket, but again there's that measly-mouthed "water resistant" claim.

Pearl also now apparently has their P.R.O. Barrier Lite jacket that replaces the Optik? But--oops, look at that description . . . water resistant.

And here's Giordana, which has something called the "Monsoon." Maybe THIS one?

I'm open to suggestions. It has to be truly packable, really waterproof for a reasonable length of time after it starts raining, reasonably breathable (no clear PVC, please). Oh, and it can't be that incredibly ugly neon yellow/green color.

Am I asking too much? What works for you?

BBD

I have an Addidas rain jacket, not sure what it is called, but it is Gray and has a zipper that bends to the side as it approaches the top (looks kind of funny but effective). The jacket kept my upper body dry in a downpour and fits in my jersey pocket when not in use (though much bulkier then the optik). I tend not to wear it if it is above 60 though, as I get too hot. It is great though for cool spring and fall rides in the rain.

If only I could fine some booties that were as effective as the jacket, I would be a happy camper.

rwsaunders
09-15-2009, 01:52 PM
Sooner or later as you know Dave, water is going to find it's way down into your shorts, even the zebra striped version. No jacket can prevent that imho. Rig your bike with some fenders and find some decent waterproof shoe covers.

I have no experience with the product, but probikekit.com was advertising some waterproof jackets, and I noticed that ERichie is offering weatherproof jackets on his site.

Ozz
09-15-2009, 02:02 PM
Dave,

Here you go:

BumbleBeeDave
09-15-2009, 02:31 PM
. . . but I do want to find something that I can stash and forget and haul out if the weather turns nasty that will at least let me keep my core warm and reasonably dry until I can get home.

I try not to wear the zebra stuff if there's a chance of rain. The white areas on those shorts go pretty well transparent if they get wet. :eek:

Would I be assuming correctly that Richie's jackets are bright red with "ATMO" in huge yellow letters? :rolleyes: ;)

BBD

Sooner or later as you know Dave, water is going to find it's way down into your shorts, even the zebra striped version. No jacket can prevent that imho. Rig your bike with some fenders and find some decent waterproof shoe covers.

I have no experience with the product, but probikekit.com was advertising some waterproof jackets, and I noticed that ERichie is offering weatherproof jackets on his site.

Pete Serotta
09-15-2009, 02:51 PM
to add stripes for you.... :)

. . . but I do want to find something that I can stash and forget and haul out if the weather turns nasty that will at least let me keep my core warm and reasonably dry until I can get home.

I try not to wear the zebra stuff if there's a chance of rain. The white areas on those shorts go pretty well transparent if they get wet. :eek:

Would I be assuming correctly that Richie's jackets are bright red with "ATMO" in huge yellow letters? :rolleyes: ;)

BBD

John M
09-15-2009, 03:06 PM
Get the shower's pass elite jacket. Extremely well made and keeps one dry.

I agree that the Shower's Pass elite is a great jacket. It is not that packable though. I can't get my medium to roll nicely into a size that goes into a rear pocket. I have an Adidas ClimaProof cycling jacket that is nearly as waterproof and is quite packable. The construction and sturdiness of the Adidas are not at the level of the SP elite, but neither was the price

Climb01742
09-15-2009, 03:24 PM
another vote for showers pass. it's kept me drier than any other jacket, ever. they're from oregon. enuf said. :rolleyes:

rwsaunders
09-15-2009, 07:04 PM
another vote for showers pass. it's kept me drier than any other jacket, ever. they're from oregon. enuf said. :rolleyes:

Climb...the Showers Pass jacket that I had purchased a few years ago, was made in Vietnam. Not that the manufacturing location made it a bad jacket, but I purchased the jacket, thinking that it was made in Oregon too. I'm not sure that this is still the case.

fiamme red
09-15-2009, 07:15 PM
What makes the Showers Pass Elite 2.0 worth almost twice the price of the Double Century ($230 vs. $120)?

jlwdm
09-15-2009, 08:18 PM
Climb...the Showers Pass jacket that I had purchased a few years ago, was made in Vietnam. Not that the manufacturing location made it a bad jacket, but I purchased the jacket, thinking that it was made in Oregon too. I'm not sure that this is still the case.

I think his point was that the company is in Oregon so they have to know how to deal with rain - not that the jackets are necessarily made in Oregon. Hence, the Oregon Ducks.

Jeff

Johny
09-15-2009, 08:33 PM
http://www.rapha.cc/rain-jacket

Price would be reasonable. :D

Peter B
09-15-2009, 09:07 PM
Shower's Pass Elite 2.0 for best rain protection, or the ProTech for packable weather resistance.

BCS
09-15-2009, 09:10 PM
What makes the Showers Pass Elite 2.0 worth almost twice the price of the Double Century ($230 vs. $120)?

The breathability of eVent fabric in the Elite 2.0 is superior to whatever the double century is made of. I have the Elite jacket and the great reviews are justified.

bpalk
09-16-2009, 11:49 AM
I use this:
http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/SBCEqProduct.jsp?spid=47016