PDA

View Full Version : Recommendation needed: stout CX CF fork

Steve in SLO
09-14-2009, 09:01 PM
I know a few of us are CXers. I am looking for a fork to go on a CX frame that I will mostly ride on trails/singletrack and use as a lightweight mountain bike. It currently has an Ouzo Pro, but I don't think this fork is the beefiest out there. The Wound Up on my other CX bike has been bulletproof, and I've heard Alpha Q is also strong. Not considering steel or Ti forks, so, any other CF recommendations?

GregL
09-14-2009, 10:33 PM
I like the Alpha Q CX-10. Carbon legs and crown with an OX Platinum steerer. Very solid, but reasonably light.

Regards,
Greg

John M
09-15-2009, 10:37 AM
I would avoid the Easton EC90x if you want stiff. I have one and it is light and rides smoothly, but seems to have some flex and shudders if the brakes are not adjusted just right. I only weigh 145, so if you are bigger than that, it may be too flexy.

djg
09-15-2009, 11:13 AM
I've been using an Alpha Q CX fork but haven't yet put it through a season (starting Sunday, Sunday, Sunday) -- it feels like a good dependable fork -- solid and stable -- but I'm not sure how to advise you on its strength (other than the obvious point that it hasn't broken yet).

caleb
09-15-2009, 11:23 AM
With Reynolds now out of the game, I think we're down to Alpha Q and Edge for super solid cx forks.

bagochips3
09-15-2009, 02:21 PM
If I were in it for racing and didn't have "carbon steerer issues", Edge would probably be my top choice. Alpha Q and Wound Up are solid, too. I'm in it more for recreation than racing and I have a Easton ea70 that has been good to me with no shudder issues. I'm 220 and ride hard enough to have bent-beyond-repair an OP rim and the fork is fine, so I feel good about the fork.

Whatever brand, I would first be concerned about finding a fork with the correct rake and axle/crown length for the frame.

Steve in SLO
09-15-2009, 03:25 PM
Thanks for all the ideas. I will be on te lookout. I also have a Stella Azzura Bellagio fork I bought at the Serotta Garage sale. It has a steel steerer and feels pretty stiff...any thoughts there?
Thanks again!