PDA

View Full Version : RIP Rich Snead

rwsaunders
09-14-2009, 07:19 PM
Rich was a good friend and cycling pal of over 20 years. Rich was the one that got me back on the bike in the late 80's and we have been good friends ever since, both on and off the bike. He is presumed drowned, while on vacation off the coast of North Carolina this past weekend and his body hasn't been recovered. I received the heart wrenching call from his wife today.

He was 60 years old, with a wonderful and supportive wife, two great kids and he was a newbie grandfather. As you can tell by the one jersey, a Penn State nut as well. He served a tour in Vietnam as an Army Ranger, enjoyed hiking, backpacking, cycling, gardening, eclectic music and his '97 red Z3. Above, he was truly as solid an individual as one could be. Our year round Sunday rides and MS weekends were as special as it gets. He was both a motivator and a philosopher on our rides.

I am not over the shock and neither is our group of cyclists, who Rich organized and kept together. We lovingly referred to him as Sgt. Snead for the pace that he kept and the routes that he planned. Never a dull moment, and coffee at the end, perhaps mid-ride on the 50 milers, only if we behaved ourselves. In his role as a contrarian, he drank tea.

The last photo was taken a few weeks ago on our favorite ride. He was complaining (in jest) that I was going to wreck or cause him to wreck, while I was taking the pictures. He is in the yellow jersey, about 300 yards at the head of the pack, leading the way of course. In retrospect, I had never taken photos on this particular ride route, and we've been doing it for at least 12 years. Makes you wonder.

Sorry to write this long, but I wanted to get something out on the web in his honor. Say a prayer for his wife and family that he is found, so that they can have closure.

RW

onekgguy
09-14-2009, 07:26 PM
I'm sorry for your loss. Your post causes me to pause and think of some people in my life whom I may be taking for granted. I shouldn't do that.

Kevin g

mnoble485
09-14-2009, 07:28 PM
my thoughts are with you. I too have 20 year friendships that I cherish. I will call them tomorrow to say hi...

Mike

Ray
09-14-2009, 07:55 PM
So sorry to hear, RW. Make sure you keep that ride going in his honor.

-Ray

rpm
09-14-2009, 08:31 PM
Bob--

I'm so sorry to hear this. It was just last summer that I rode with you and Rich, and I know how much fun you guys had. As I know all too well, life is fragile, and we have to savor our family and friends while they're at hand.

Ron

capybaras
09-14-2009, 09:29 PM
Very sorry to hear that you lost your good friend. Your memories will be a comfort to his family. When you get the chance be sure to tell them.

soulspinner
09-15-2009, 06:13 AM
Sorry man. Tell stories to keep his spirit with those who cared...

Dekonick
09-15-2009, 07:04 PM
I am sorry.

PBWrench
09-15-2009, 07:07 PM
May his memory be a blessing to those who loved him.

thwart
09-15-2009, 08:36 PM
That last pic is very apropos.

Sorry for your loss, he sounds like a great guy. Darn shame his grandchild will never know him.

RABikes2
09-15-2009, 11:44 PM
I'm so sorry for your loss, RW. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Ritaann

Minstrie
09-16-2009, 02:45 PM
I, too, am so sorry to hear about your, and especially his family's, loss. I hope one of your Sunday group riders can pick up the baton.
Minstrie
Penn State ('75) proud, but sad.

malcolm
09-16-2009, 05:41 PM
He looks good on the bike. Sorry for your and his families loss.

ClutchCargo
09-17-2009, 08:21 AM
Sorry for your loss.
It's good that you shared this.
Remember him well.

rwsaunders
09-18-2009, 09:42 AM
Thank you for your thoughts. Rich's body was found yesterday and his family now has the opportunity to move forward. A funeral and memorial service is planned for late next week.