PDA

View Full Version : CSI Touring questions

audiisaac
09-14-2009, 12:29 PM
I am looking a picking up a 60cm CSI Touring frame, It has fender and rack mounts front and rear. My question is how big of a tire can I stuff in the frame under the fenders? Would 28mm tires fit wit fenders?

Thanks
Isaac

fungusamungus33
09-14-2009, 12:43 PM
Mine will... It has a unicrown fork though...

That one looks nice. I'm sure it will ride like a dream.

CCB

Pete Serotta
09-14-2009, 04:07 PM
Really depends on what fork is on it. Since yours has eyelets in the front, it becomes a more difficult question.

The F1 carbon fork was not offered with eyelets and if steel then I would say a 28mm tire would work - but the best way to find out is to try it. (for tires that are 28 might or might not be a real measured 28.

The other conflicts you might encounter are what width fenders work with the tires in regard to clearance, Another potential conflict are the brakes in vast majority of instances they were not set up for long arms to accommodate the clearance needed for wide tires and fenders together.

Unless this was a "one off" frame there were no production frames made for long distance heavy duty touring. The "CRT" was basically an Atlanta with longer rear stays, relaxed geometry and eyelets.

Lastly "touring" means many different things to folks, so think about what it means to you and then determine is the frame will meet those needs.

PETE

audiisaac
09-14-2009, 04:20 PM
Thanks for the reply. Here is the bike in question, 400073181733 (I should have posted it first). I am not looking to do loaded touring on the bike, it will mostly be used as a bike to ride around town and on back roads in the rain. I ask the "pro's closet" if it would fit larger tires with fenders, their rely was "It might", so they were not very helpful.

nahtnoj
09-14-2009, 04:27 PM
No need to fear 28s, short reach brakes, and fenders.

I have 45mm SKS fenders and 6600 brakes on my rain bike. It fits fine, unless the fork has an a/c of less than 365mm or the rear brake bridge is ridiculously low.

Looking at the pics I seriously doubt you will have an issue, especially up front.

dave thompson
09-14-2009, 04:47 PM
I've had several all-steel Serottas and 28 tires fit easily on them all. Looking at the CSi you've referenced, it's got plenty of room for those tires in that front fork.

On the other hand, I've found the Pro's Closet less than helpful.

Pete Serotta
09-14-2009, 05:00 PM
You are in good company. Dave or Ken have more experience in this area on Serotta frames. Check with them on fender brand and width before you buy.

I had "wood" fenders on mine and 25mm Michelins but my fork was a Cyclecross fork.

Brian Smith
09-14-2009, 07:33 PM
Mine will... It has a unicrown fork though...

That one looks nice. I'm sure it will ride like a dream.

CCB

But yours is a 'cross frame.

audiissac - is yours a CRT?

I don't think there was ever such a thing as a CSi touring as a model.
If you're using contemporary center-bolted road caliper brakes, 28s and a fender may be undesirable for the brakes alone, never mind the frameset.

Ken Robb
09-14-2009, 09:24 PM
Grant Petersen states that a Rambouillet will take 28mm with fenders and 32mm without. These bikes use standard reach brakes not the short reach on a CSI.
Without cantis you can run into the problem of the brake arms squeezing the fenders into the tires also. My guess would be 27-28 will be very tight in the brakes without fenders. With fenders you might have to stay with 25mm or less.

fungusamungus33
09-15-2009, 05:25 AM
But yours is a 'cross frame.

audiissac - is yours a CRT?

I don't think there was ever such a thing as a CSi touring as a model.
If you're using contemporary center-bolted road caliper brakes, 28s and a fender may be undesirable for the brakes alone, never mind the frameset.

...gave me the pics to compare... Mine was called a "touring" bike by the seller as well....

http://cgi.ebay.com/Serotta-CSI-Steel-Touring-Campagnolo-Road-Bike-60cm_W0QQitemZ400073181733QQcmdZViewItemQQptZRoad_ Bikes?hash=item5d26384a25&_trksid=p4999.c0.m14#ht_2907wt_1167

Ken Robb
09-15-2009, 10:24 AM
I think a lot of on-line sellers think anything that doesn't have very large diameter tubes and a sloping top tube must be a touring bike. If I wasn't up to my ears in bikes already I might be interested in this one. I did ask what the saddle height is in the pix. It's 80cm. according to the seller. I should have asked for the serial number so we would know if it's stock geos.

mister
09-15-2009, 10:30 AM
with those brakes i doubt you'll fit a 28mm tire and fenders.
that's an interesting frame, more an all arounder than a touring frame...

David Kirk
09-15-2009, 10:49 AM
I'd plan on 25's without fenders and a tight fit with 23's and fenders.

dave

audiisaac
09-15-2009, 10:53 AM
I'd plan on 25's without fenders and a tight fit with 23's and fenders.

dave

Thats what I was thinking. I am really looking for something that I can use 28mm tires with fender. Thanks for all the replies.

David Kirk
09-15-2009, 10:57 AM
Thats what I was thinking. I am really looking for something that I can use 28mm tires with fender. Thanks for all the replies.

You are going to need something built around a long reach caliper in that case. Anything with a short reach will not have enough room.

Dave

Ken Robb
09-15-2009, 12:10 PM
check for Ray's ad for his 60cm Rambouillet last month.