PDA

View Full Version : wider 22-23mm rims out there?

tv_vt
09-14-2009, 06:39 AM
You've got your Hed Ardennes, Bontrager setups, even the AC Hurricane is wide. But can you buy a 22-23mm wide rim to build up with your own hubs? Are there any out there? I just cracked an old Open Pro after many years use and was wondering about options other than a new OP or DT 1.1. Seems like there's an opportunity for a rim maker to ride this wave. Anybody know of anything coming out or that's available?

Thanks,

Thom

Ray
09-14-2009, 07:13 AM
You've got your Hed Ardennes, Bontrager setups, even the AC Hurricane is wide. But can you buy a 22-23mm wide rim to build up with your own hubs? Are there any out there? I just cracked an old Open Pro after many years use and was wondering about options other than a new OP or DT 1.1. Seems like there's an opportunity for a rim maker to ride this wave. Anybody know of anything coming out or that's available?

Thanks,

Thom
I was talking to a local shop guy recently who indicated that a bunch of stuff will be out next year using the wider rim approach. I think a lot of Mavic stuff is part of it, but I didn't catch the particulars. Don't know if it included just rims or mostly pre-built wheels. But it seems to be an idea that's catching on.

-Ray

skijoring
09-14-2009, 07:37 AM

Thanks,

Thom

Thom, get a CR-18 from Sun. 22.5 width. Strong like bull, not as light as DT or Mavic offerings.

RPS
09-14-2009, 08:50 AM
Seems like there's an opportunity for a rim maker to ride this wave. Anybody know of anything coming out or that's available?

Thanks,

Thom
Have you looked at the Velocity web site? The Synergy is 23 MM wide and may be close to what you are looking for. They also make wider rims than that.

http://www.velocityusa.com/default.asp?contentID=590

Ligero
09-14-2009, 08:56 AM
You can buy the Hed rims, they are expensive but you can buy them.

Zipp is coming out with what they are calling the 101 rim. It will be 30mm tall and 24mm wide and available as rim only, at least that is what I was told. Stan's Notubes is coming out with a 24mm wide 350g rim designed to work with tubeless tires after Interbike.

There may be a few others but I can't think of what they are right now.

sivat
09-14-2009, 11:03 AM
The salsa delgado cross rim is 22.5mm wide...

ergott
09-14-2009, 04:42 PM
Stan's 29er rims work with road tires. You don't have to use them tubeless.

-Eric

rphetteplace
09-14-2009, 05:40 PM
Edge has 29'r rims that come in 32 hole that are 23mm wide iirc.

maunahaole
09-14-2009, 06:17 PM
Velocity Dyad - 24mm, IIRC - strong, but not exceptionally heavy

aosty
09-14-2009, 06:29 PM
Stan's 29er rims work with road tires. You don't have to use them tubeless.

What's your experience with them at road tire pressures? The unofficial official word is "not recommended but people do it."

Thanks.

Kirk Pacenti
09-14-2009, 06:37 PM
Velocity will be unveiling a few new rims at the Interbike show in just a week or so.

Their new A23 sounds like it will be exactly what you're looking for. As the name suggests, its 23mm wide x 19.5 tall and has a profile similar to the Aerohead / Aeroheat / Dyad rims. ;)

Cheers,

KP

aosty
09-14-2009, 06:41 PM
Velocity will be unveiling a few new rims at the Interbike show in just a week or so.

Kirk - Nice job on the P35... sure looks like fun!

merckx
09-14-2009, 07:03 PM
Will this wide rim trend extend to tubs? I have a set of Ardennes and built a pair of HED rims on Campy hubs. I'm a believer in the wide rim technology. I know that HED offers their carbon deep profile rims in wide widths, but have not heard of alloy tubular rims in wider widths. Any insight on this?

Kirk Pacenti
09-14-2009, 08:37 PM
Kirk - Nice job on the P35... sure looks like fun!

Thanks. It was fun to design, has been fun to ride and even more fun to hear the positive feedback I've gotten from a couple of my test riders!

Cheers,

KP

maunahaole
09-14-2009, 08:44 PM
Will this wide rim trend extend to tubs? I have a set of Ardennes and built a pair of HED rims on Campy hubs. I'm a believer in the wide rim technology. I know that HED offers their carbon deep profile rims in wide widths, but have not heard of alloy tubular rims in wider widths. Any insight on this?

I'm no expert on tubies, but I would guess not...IN a clincher, the wider rim gives a wider bead seat, which changes the profile/contact patch of the tire when mounted. Based on my understanding of how a tubular mounts, it doesnt have those hard points that determine the shape of the tire - the shape is defined more by the wat the tubie tire is constructed.

merckx
09-14-2009, 09:35 PM
I'm no expert on tubies, but I would guess not...IN a clincher, the wider rim gives a wider bead seat, which changes the profile/contact patch of the tire when mounted. Based on my understanding of how a tubular mounts, it doesnt have those hard points that determine the shape of the tire - the shape is defined more by the wat the tubie tire is constructed.

I understand the wide rim advantage for clincher tires. However, HED also believes in a wider rim for tubs as it has aerodynamic advantages over a narrow rim. I was jsut wondering if that technology would be offered in an alloy tubular version. Does that make sense?

Tobias
09-14-2009, 09:49 PM
Does that make sense?
Isn't it just a matter of making sure the tire is not much wider than the rim? If so, that creates an inefficient cross section for wind drag. I don't see that as a "new technology" as much as common sense. Maybe I'm missing what is being argued here.

Let's not forget that wider rims and tires will likely increase drag and weight -- so going back in time will have limits. I'd agree that mounting fat tires on skinny rims doesn't make sense, but neither does going too big on either.

merckx
09-14-2009, 10:14 PM
Isn't it just a matter of making sure the tire is not much wider than the rim? If so, that creates an inefficient cross section for wind drag. I don't see that as a "new technology" as much as common sense. Maybe I'm missing what is being argued here.

Let's not forget that wider rims and tires will likely increase drag and weight -- so going back in time will have limits. I'd agree that mounting fat tires on skinny rims doesn't make sense, but neither does going too big on either.

Sure, if the tubular tire bed is too wide for the tire, then there will be a dirty transition between the tire and rim. HED carbon tubular rims bow out from the sidewalls and then taper back as it forms the spoke nipple edge. So, the tire is not really narrower than the rim sidewalls, but the rim does create a wider eliptical before it tapers again toward the spokes. I think that HED argues that the wider rim does not create more drag, just the opposite in fact.

caleb
09-15-2009, 12:23 AM
I was jsut wondering if that technology would be offered in an alloy tubular version. Does that make sense?

It already is, but it's not on the website yet. There's a Bastogne tubular with something like a 22mm wide rim. Guys here are getting them glued up for 'cross right now. Have your LBS get in touch with the Hed crew if you want some.

maunahaole
09-15-2009, 04:12 AM
My opinion is that discussion about wind drag on the rim is pretty much irrelevant. When you see the charts on drag, they all are based on pushing through 30mph air as opposed to speeds that mortals can ride at. You might notice it some at full honk, but not for the majority of time you are riding. Remember, too, that where the back wheel is concerned, that same air has to push by your legs and torso as well, so 1 or 2mm of frontal area at the rim really isnt that much. Even at your most aero position on a bike, the rider is still a pretty significant source of drag. The argument may carry a little more weight where the front is concerned. IIRC the theory behind the wider rim is that the contact patch on the tire is more efficient and has less rolling resistance. How much? I dunno. Hell, it might just be all marketing hype, too. No shortage of that in cycling.

merckx
09-15-2009, 05:57 AM
It already is, but it's not on the website yet. There's a Bastogne tubular with something like a 22mm wide rim. Guys here are getting them glued up for 'cross right now. Have your LBS get in touch with the Hed crew if you want some.

This is exactly what I was inquiring about. Thanks, Caleb. I will contact HED.

merckx
09-15-2009, 12:36 PM

They are 21mm wide and 24 hole only.

ergott
09-15-2009, 03:04 PM
What's your experience with them at road tire pressures? The unofficial official word is "not recommended but people do it."

Thanks.

That's my unofficial word too.

Workes for me running 85-90psi.

aosty
09-15-2009, 03:11 PM
That's my unofficial word too.

Workes for me running 85-90psi.

Thanks... using Hutchinson Fusion tubeless?

feta99
09-15-2009, 11:27 PM
That's weird, I contacted HED and they don't know anything about this. They never had and don't plan on having any tubular alloy rims available. Is there a magic password to get access to these?

Climb01742
09-16-2009, 04:55 AM
would someone be kind enough to explain the advantages that a wider rim might offer? TIA!

acorn_user
09-16-2009, 08:21 AM
The DRC ST19 sounds a lot like what you are looking for. It's 17mm across (the inside). You'll have to get them from the UK though, because there's no US importer that I know of. There used to be a Canadian distributor. I may have their details somewhere. PM if you need them.

acorn_user
09-16-2009, 08:23 AM
would someone be kind enough to explain the advantages that a wider rim might offer? TIA!

The main advantage of a wider rim is that you have a rounder tyre profile - this is especially true of wider tyres such as 28s or 32s which work with narrower 13mm internal width rims, but get an imperfect profile from them. I think HED has a diagramme, and the CTCs Chris Juden has some info on it too.