PDA

View Full Version : New Fork

rspecker
02-07-2005, 10:40 PM
I have a Legend TI purchased in 1999 with an F1 Fork and a 1" steerer tube.
I know the FI was only produced with a rake of 43.

I want to switch to a new fork--probably an Ouzo Pro because I think it will work and it is lighter, etc.

I've heard that other than rake, there may be issues with "spacers" or something like that which will affect the fit. Can anyone tell me what other factors are involved in making sure that the correct fit is achieived with the new fork and the riding position is not adversely impacted?

Any other issues?

Also, do any of you know if the Dura Ace 7800 triple is available yet?

Thanks

jerk
02-07-2005, 11:00 PM
don't change. the f1 is the best riding carbon fork ever made and your frame was designed around it....if you must change it the jerk would recommend waiting it out untill the new-fangled serotta fork comes out.....legend tis have a very particular powerful ride about them that the jerk has always felt was complemented by the f1 fork....an ouzo pro is nice and light but it ain't an f1 and you're going to notice an immediate change in balance in your bicycle as the front end will feel a little less surefooted especially when cornering hard....keep your f1. or better yet mail it to the jerk!

to answer your question, assuming the ride height is correct, you won't have to change anything....make sure you check the ride height....you definatly don't want to throw off the geometry of your bike in pursuit of a little weight loss.....

jerk

Larry
02-08-2005, 01:16 AM
I went from a threaded F1 set-up on my Csi, to a threadless carbon steerer Ouzo Pro with the Serotta Heads-up, Chris King headset, Ritchey WCS stem, and Bontrager bars, 46 mm.
I think the ride is even better than before.....lighter, and still rock solid like the F1.
It has not been ridden at high speed yet, but I am getting a really positive feeling about this system.

The Heads-up Ti insert looks very cool, better than I would have initially guessed. It solves the spacer issues quite well.

Larry in Dallas

Ken Robb
02-08-2005, 01:21 AM
Larry, how tall/heavy are you? What size bike?
These have some effect on how forks perform.

Smiley
02-08-2005, 06:06 AM
Jerk , the new Serotta F3 won't be available with a 1 inch steerer . Make the switch to the Ouzo Pro , I did, just like many others her have done , I used a Ti heads up and the ride is quite amazing , better in my opinion with the all carbon set up of the Ouzo Pro . I have switched my wifes bike since and she just love it . You'll also feel the less flex of the Ahead stem set up too .

Too Tall
02-08-2005, 07:12 AM
The standard Alpha-Q is a good match for that bike but I am in agreement with Senor' the F-1 is rock solid and "completes the package" as it were. The standard Alpha-Q will do the same thing and if you are a bean counter it is lighter too.

dirtdigger88
02-08-2005, 07:54 AM
weight shouldn't be your final factor to make a decision on. . .you are also asking about a triple Dura Ace set up- so I am guessing you are not a pro getting ready for one of the grand tours, right? So save your cash and don't buy a new fork- I will agree with the folks that say another fork is lighter- but better? I really don't know that in a blind test I could tell my F2 from an Icon Air Rail that I have on my Lemond- Sure I could tell the difference in the bikes- but slap the Air Rail on my Legend (provided the rake-etc was the same which it is not) I cant honestly say I would be able to tell the difference- I say keep the F1 and get a cool custom quil stem to go with it for the money you will save off the fork.

Jason

pale scotsman
02-08-2005, 08:04 AM
I've got a legend with a 1" steerer tube that came with an ouzo pro. Just for ****s and giggles I bought a steel steerer tube kestrel ems pro thinking the ouzo pro was going to be too wimpy. Man was I wrong. The kestrel rides OK, but the ouzo pro rides better. It's just a smoother riding fork.

BTW I was one of those guys that would have thought I'd never be able to tell the difference.

flydhest
02-08-2005, 08:16 AM
Listen to TooTall. I did when my F1 got damaged and I am a happy camper.

I am big and so the F1 was tough like a steel fork. I think ouzos are fine, but for big frames and big people, I don't like them as much. The Alpha-Q, on the other hand, kicks booty.

pale scotsman
02-08-2005, 08:53 AM
So Sir Fly and or TT, can you run 700 x 25's on the Alpha-Q with no clearance problems?

Thanks!

flydhest
02-08-2005, 09:02 AM
yep. I had on Michelin carbon things to see if they would fit, and they do. One advantage over the F1.

Too Tall
02-08-2005, 09:12 AM
10-4 good buddy. 700X25 no problem. I ran into trouble trying to fit a 700X27 (Rivendell Rolly Polly) however...no soap.

rspecker
02-08-2005, 09:34 AM
I'd call it a draw. I do like the F1, but . . .

One thing I learned for sure is that I have too many spacers (3.5cm) to use a carbon steerer without the heads up extension. So I'll wait until one is available to decide.

Too Tall
02-08-2005, 10:03 AM
Don't sit on your wallet just yet pal. You can order an AlphaQ with Ti steerer...atts what I run. You didn't say if you were in the market for an ugly fork that works too well? (Gag) Woundup is Gorilla strong and is laterally stiffer than any carbon fork. Tom Kellog like's em'. The reason I mention it is that their carbon steerer has an aluminum instert and they have a fantastic quality rep.

I'm not telling you that you can stack big ugly washers under your stem and get away with it but if you were inclined or worried about strenght of carbon steerers you'd have less worries with (puke) the Woundup...which we use on our tandem...and I throw a towel over when it's in storage so the milk don't curdle. Dang it's ugly. Brrrrrr.

quattro
02-08-2005, 11:58 AM
..allow for a higher stack height than do Reynolds. Check out the Easton site for details. I ride the '04 SLX and like it better than the Reynolds Ouzo Pro on my second bike. It also has a 300 mm sterer tube over the Reynolds 285 mm. The '05 version is full carbon, including the drop outs and weighs inat 290 g. I think it handles wonderfully.

wheelworks
02-08-2005, 12:40 PM
..allow for a higher stack height than do Reynolds. Check out the Easton site for details. I ride the '04 SLX and like it better than the Reynolds Ouzo Pro on my second bike. It also has a 300 mm sterer tube over the Reynolds 285 mm. The '05 version is full carbon, including the drop outs and weighs inat 290 g. I think it handles wonderfully.

The fork span for the Easton 05 models is 365 as the reynolds and Serotta is 372. For 2005 Serotta will have 3 models the 3rd being fabulous for bigger frames and people.

F3 10.5
The best fork for Clydesdale riders – a super-stiff lay-up combined with an extra-long steering column no longer limits the fork options of the largest cyclists.

flydhest
02-08-2005, 12:51 PM
Wheelworks,

Apart from the frame-fork design problem (which is, of course, crucial) is there any reason to think that the F3 will be better than the Alpha Q? How is it likely to perform relative to the F1?

wheelworks
02-08-2005, 01:10 PM
Wheelworks,

Apart from the frame-fork design problem (which is, of course, crucial) is there any reason to think that the F3 will be better than the Alpha Q? How is it likely to perform relative to the F1?

Hey Fly,

To be honest I have yet to see the new F3 10.5 (Clydesdale) or even ride it (hhmm maybe I shall give Ben a call for a demo!!!) One benefit is the steerer length at 450 mm. Great for larger bikes with tall headtubes. I should be seeing one soon and will let you know the second I ride it.
Cheers

Smiley
02-08-2005, 01:12 PM
Wheelworks , this guy that wants a new fork needs a 1 inch steerer so NO new Serotta fork for him . The span on the old F1 will be better suited for the Easton fork , my experiance with the taller fork span of the Ouzo Pro is NOTHING AT ALL , fact is I expected the front end to be taller as Kelly said it would be so the head angle changed and the trail changed but I got a better front end handling out of the whole change .

wheelworks
02-08-2005, 01:22 PM
Wheelworks , this guy that wants a new fork needs a 1 inch steerer so NO new Serotta fork for him . The span on the old F1 will be better suited for the Easton fork , my experiance with the taller fork span of the Ouzo Pro is NOTHING AT ALL , fact is I expected the front end to be taller as Kelly said it would be so the head angle changed and the trail changed but I got a better front end handling out of the whole change .

Hey Smiley,

Thanks, I understand the guy needs a 1 inch. I was just putting out the info on the larger Clydesdale version as I thought it was info for people to know.

I agree on the span and not really much difference but again I was just putting the info out there!!!!!

Cheers

flydhest
02-08-2005, 01:58 PM
Smiles,

That's a good point. Tough finding things that are appropriate in that size, I reckon. That's why I was lucky that my Legend was a bigger size, so that when my F1 went caput (ok, it was me not the fork) I could get a newer fork to work with it.

Smiley
02-08-2005, 02:11 PM
Fly , I think you did not really give the Ouzo Pro a shot . I think it would have been just fine under your powerfull stroke ...... its the doors that worry me more . I should not kid you cause I have a garage now so I should not throw stones your way .

flydhest
02-08-2005, 02:17 PM
Little guys like you just don't understand :banana:

Keith A
02-08-2005, 04:33 PM
Pardon my ignorance here, but could someone please explain to me exactly what part of the fork is referred to as the "span"?

Larry
02-09-2005, 02:43 AM
Ken Robb,

I am heavy.....currently 245, 6 feet tall, and ride a 57.
If folks are saying this 1 inch carbon steerer has been noted to have a significant flex, I have yet to feel it while riding. I think the entire set-up is more stiff than the old F1 with quill stem.
I believe the ride of the Ouzo Pro is smoother than the F1.

Well.....I guess I will just ride on and see what kind of service I get out of this Ouzo Pro. But......for sure the Serotta Heads-up frame headtube extension really solves the problem of using too many spacers. It looks cool and distinctive, also.

Larry

rspecker
02-10-2005, 12:21 AM
I'm told now by LBS that with 3.5mm of spacers even the heads-up won't enable Reynolds carbon steerer. So, choices are (1) stay with the F1 (not a bad option actually), (2) have Serotta change the steerer to 1 1/8 (I'm told they can do this--I'm curious if any of you have experience/thoughts on that), and (3) find a different fork, perhaps with a TI steerer--onepost mentioned Alpha Q so I'll check that out.

I bought this Legend right before 1 1/8 steerer became available (literally a few months before if I recall correctly) and was told it wouldn't matter. Turns out it kind-of has mattered, so that's disappointing. The bike is not defective to be sure, but it would be nice to have an update path.

Smiley
02-10-2005, 07:20 AM
To change your head tube is costly cause they will also have to change the TT and DT cause the miter cuts for these mating sections will change or I don't buy that Serotta would fill the gap with Ti weld bead , it would look like crap . Anyway re-check with your LBS on this question and stick with the F1 before undergoing this major over haul .

Ken Robb
02-10-2005, 08:02 AM
my 60cm Legend came with 2 20mm spacers on its O2 fork and it's been fine. I am looking forward to renewed availability of the Headsup though. Our CSi has F1 and I like it too.

Keith A
02-10-2005, 09:02 AM
rspecker,

If you are just hankering for something new and it doesn't have to be the lightest fork out there, then there are several forks that have aluminum steerer tubes that do not have a limitation on the number of spaces. Also, Reynolds actually made a version of the Ouzo Pro with a steel steerer tube that you might be able to find -- I had two of these for a while, but one of them was sold with a bike a little while back.

pale scotsman
02-10-2005, 09:43 AM
I talked with James about getting the head tube replaced on my Legend Ti and I was quoted $167, plus $450 to refinish. He also said there would be no problem with mitering etc.

It's not cheap but you'll have an updated bike.

Ken Robb
02-10-2005, 10:06 AM
the Ouzo Pro w/aluminum steerer is called the Ouzo Comp. I have a Profile Design AC1 all-carbon fork on my Waterford and it is as good as the O2 and Ouzos that I have owned.

slowgoing
02-10-2005, 01:34 PM
I would give the ouzo comp a shot. I read that the ouzo pro has a weight limit of just over 200 pounds (probably only if you're racing, but who knows) so I would be more inclined to use the ouzo comp with steel steerer if I was over that limit. I have an ouzo comp and, except for the weight, can't tell the difference between it and the ouzo pro.

Keith A
02-10-2005, 02:39 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure the Ouzo Comp was only available with a aluminum steerer. They did however, offer the Ouzo Pro with a steel steerer for a while, but this was discontinued several years ago. I happened to run across a shop that was getting rid of their "old" stock and bought two of the Pro's with steel steerer tubes.

Just out of curiosity, I weighed the uncut 285 mm long, 1" steel steerer Ouzo Pro and it comes in at 598 grams. According to the Reynolds Composites' website, the Comp 1" weighs 540 grams, and the all carbon Pro is 375 grams.

Smiley
02-10-2005, 04:50 PM
PaleMan , how do you miter a welded tube ? I mean I think they must be talking filler weld and not a re-miter . I will check with James on that one .

rspecker
02-11-2005, 12:50 AM
Assuming I have a new 1 1/8th head tube installed (which seems like best option), then what fork would you pick? I'm 6ft and weigh about 170 pounds. Solo and group rides (some fast); no racing. Often ride hills (Palo Alto, CA area).

In particular, I looked in the archives for comments on the F3 fork but didn't find much. Any experience with this fork out there? How about it compared to Ouzo Pro (or others)?

Sorry if this repeats earlier posts--but I didn't find a good thread on point.

Larry
02-11-2005, 02:26 AM
Slowgoing,

Where did you read that the carbon Ouzo Pro has a weight limit just over 200 pounds? I have never seen this comment.

Larry