PDA

View Full Version : Cross bike questions

jmeloy
09-12-2009, 11:01 PM
I've got a very special cross frame coming (details to be revealed shortly) and need to kit it out. Have Campy on everything else. Have a full set of mixed Campy 9 speed record/chorus/centaur I could use. With the right brakes would this be a good set up to get me started? Crank is a Mirage compact and I have a FSA 46T ring I picked up thinking I might give this a go.

Brakes? Read a long post re: V's vs Cantis and now no clue what to go with! I know their are many opinions out there. What is a good option to use with Record Ergos

Lastly, wheels to get started on. I have a set of Mavic Cosmos and a set of Kysrium Elites not being used. Would either of these work to get started?

Many thanks!!

Marcusaurelius
09-12-2009, 11:25 PM
Well you can't use v brakes with ergo levers without some sort of adapter but cantilever brakes work just as well and don't need an adapter.

Shimano makes good cantilever but everyone seems to like Pau's cantilever brakes.

Steve in SLO
09-13-2009, 01:11 AM
Tektro RX-5 mini-Vs work just fine with Ergos and do not need an adapter. I have them on a CX rig I use for trail rides and as a quasi-XC mountain bike. Mini Vs are easy to set up and stop very well. They do not give much clearance if your wheel gets loaded up with mud or if you tweak a wheel out of round. These situations are where Cantis shine. Cantis are a bit more difficult to set up to get good braking, but they stop well when set up right. I like my Shimano cantis--they use a V-brake insert, not a post style pad, which makes them easier to set up, IMHO

In summary:
Mini-Vs: Easy set up, no adapter needed with Ergos, great stopping power, little mud or 'out of true' clearance.
Cantis: Some skill to set up (suggest cantis with V-brake threaded pads for ease of set-up), no adapter needed, good+ stopping power, good mud or 'out of true' clearance.

djg
09-13-2009, 08:59 AM
Wheels: I'd say either set could work to get started -- really, just get out there -- but on the theory that the Ks are a little stronger, but not much heavier (is that right?) I'd give them the nod. Actually, if you can afford a couple of sets of tires, you might want to use both. There's nothing wrong with getting started on clinchers, but things can go wrong with any tire, and especially with clinchers where a root or a rock might cause a pinch flat, you really don't want to pay a registration fee, drive to a race, warm up, and ruin your race because something punctured or tore just before the race started. It pays to have a backup.

jmeloy
09-13-2009, 10:28 AM
you're right, I need to give it a go and see what I need to upgrade to. Fitting out both sets of wheels makes sense!
Tire recommendations?

djg
09-13-2009, 11:47 AM
you're right, I need to give it a go and see what I need to upgrade to. Fitting out both sets of wheels makes sense!
Tire recommendations?

I don't have much experience using clinchers to race cross, but the challenge grifo tubular tires are very good all-around tires and I've heard that the clincher version also is a good tire. I'm not sure if they make the fango in a clincher or not -- also good. Less expensive, michelin are decent -- the "mud" model for soft or wet courses and the "jet" model for hard ground.

acorn_user
09-13-2009, 02:18 PM
Tyres are really condition dependent. If you are riding gravel roads, I'd go for a slick, wide tyre such as the Panaracer Pasela. For trails/racing, most people like Michelin Muds. I really like the Schwalbe Fast Freds I have.

As for brakes, a lot of people seem to like the new Tektro brakes (cr-520). I've heard good things about the new Avid line as well. Another smart choice would be the Velo-Orange Grenouille brake.