PDA

View Full Version : ST Bearing

marle
09-12-2009, 04:39 PM
So I go to the shop complaining of rear wheel play. I thought it was the hub. But no after 5 seasons and 20,000 miles the ST bearing on my Ottrott needed replacing. To quote Harrison - ' all things must pass'.

Pete Serotta
09-12-2009, 05:08 PM
It should be as good as new for another 20K :)

dekindy
09-12-2009, 10:28 PM
Did you keep in lubricated? Your thread reminds me that I have had mine six months and I have not lubricated it. I hope that the LBS did when it was in for tune-up.

marle
09-13-2009, 12:45 PM
It should be as good as new for another 20K :)

You bet Pete. I saw Juan perform the operation.

Tobias
09-13-2009, 06:49 PM
But no after 5 seasons and 20,000 miles the ST bearing on my Ottrott needed replacing.
I looked all around my seat tube and don't see any bearings. What am I doing wrong? :confused:

BTW, should I be looking for one or two?

Bradford
09-13-2009, 08:03 PM
I looked all around my seat tube and don't see any bearings. What am I doing wrong? :confused:

BTW, should I be looking for one or two?
On an ST stay, where the seat stay meets the chain stay...its the part the moves...the rest of the seat stay flexes.

I hit it with a few drops of oil ever few months.

marle
09-14-2009, 12:48 PM
http://www.serotta.com/owners/frame_care.html

Maintenance

Frame and Fork
Your new Serotta frame and fork require little more than our Four Point Cleaning and Inspection to keep them looking and performing like new. For frames outfitted with Serotta ST carbon stays, the ST bearing should be lubricated every few weeks, or more often under wet riding conditions. Use a light machine oil such as MarvelŪ Mystery Lubricant or similar. Serotta brand forks do not require any lubrication. For MTB forks, please refer to the manufacturer's recommendation.

Tobias
09-14-2009, 10:03 PM
On an ST stay, where the seat stay meets the chain stay...its the part the moves...the rest of the seat stay flexes.

I hit it with a few drops of oil ever few months.
I wasn't serious in my question -- sorry. I shouldn't have asked but there is something irresistible about bearings used on a frame. I do know how and why they work. It's not a bad use of bearings considering what's being done.

happycampyer
09-14-2009, 10:52 PM

BTW, should I be looking for one or two?It would appear that you've lost your bearings. :)