PDA

View Full Version : Clydesdale wheels

SJFixed
09-11-2009, 11:03 PM
I'm commuting now with my new Serotta. Since I am 6'4 and 285 I ride with Open Pros....these are bullet proof, but I have some money now and want to dress up my ride with some sexy deep wheels.

Any recomendations for carbon/deep/ fast/ bullet proof wheels? :banana:

Bruce K
09-12-2009, 03:50 AM
HED Jet C2's in their Stallion build might work. I know the C2 rim can handle cyclocross stresses for a 205# rider.

Call them to see if they'd be OK for a rider that big as an every day wheel.

BK

alancw3
09-12-2009, 07:20 AM
zipp has a clydesdale version of their 404's and 808's i believe. you also might want to check with socalsteve. he is a big guy, albeit getting smaller, and seems pretty happy with edge wheels.

djg
09-12-2009, 08:33 AM
It seems everybody now has a "cyclocross build" -- these tend to be slightly stronger and heavier builds than the corresponding road versions. I don't know how, say, the zipp 303 cross build is different from the 303 "clydesdale" -- maybe not really?

I have a set of Reynolds DV46T-Cross wheels, for cross, and they seem great, although, honestly, I don't have a ton of miles on them and I'm not your size anyway. OTOH, you can talk to them, and zipp, and some others, and see what they have to say. I reckon some of the mavic carbonne versions are pretty strong also.

Some of the wheel builders here also might have an opinion as to how they could spoke and build something to suit you.

jhat
09-12-2009, 08:47 AM
Rolf has heavy duty deep section rims right up to and including tandem wheels.

malcolm
09-12-2009, 09:17 AM
It seems everybody now has a "cyclocross build" -- these tend to be slightly stronger and heavier builds than the corresponding road versions. I don't know how, say, the zipp 303 cross build is different from the 303 "clydesdale" -- maybe not really?

I have a set of Reynolds DV46T-Cross wheels, for cross, and they seem great, although, honestly, I don't have a ton of miles on them and I'm not your size anyway. OTOH, you can talk to them, and zipp, and some others, and see what they have to say. I reckon some of the mavic carbonne versions are pretty strong also.

Some of the wheel builders here also might have an opinion as to how they could spoke and build something to suit you.

Zipp used to have a heavier duty version of most of their tubular rims that had heavier lay up along the tire bed and rim margins, they were slightly heavier. I don't know if this is still the case or not.

SoCalSteve
09-12-2009, 09:24 AM
Call Edge and see what they tell you...

They make their 68 version (clincher or tubular) in a 28 hole pattern. I am sure this will work for you.

Oh, btw, once you ride a set of nice all carbon wheels, you'll never go back.

Just sayin'

Steve

RBaker2778
09-12-2009, 06:10 PM
I am a big boy, and I ride a Zipp 808 Clydesdale rear, with a Zipp 404 Clydesdale front (known by many as a 606). I feel that they have performed great overall, and I race, train, and occasionally commute on them. They are clincher, btw.

zott28
09-12-2009, 06:53 PM
I ride around 200lbs. I love all of my Easton wheels. Both my clinchers and tubs are bullet proof and the R4 hubs roll smooth with ceramic bearings. They have no weight limit on all of their wheels. I also think you get a lot more for your money with Easton.

dogdriver
09-13-2009, 09:15 AM
CK hubs and DT1.2's are pretty bomber, I've even seen them on cross bikes. I'm 190lbs and not very nice to my equipment, ride CK's with DT1.1's and haven't had to touch them in a year. 1.2's would be even stronger, and have the sexy deep profile...

Chris