PDA

View Full Version : CAAD 7 thoughts?

VTCaraco
09-11-2009, 08:52 PM
Between this forum and across the hall, I've developed an endless case of bike lust. I'd love to get something from our host or one of many other fine offerings, but lack the assets/talent to really justify the purchase.
Nevertheless, I constantly scan various sites for the seemingly perfect next bike.
I came across an Ultegra/Dura Ace (9 spd) CAAD 7 with Ksyrium SLs for $650. Approximately 1500 miles (in 1 year ~ sat since then for health reasons) by a 140lb rider. My wife just approved, as she has every other bike I've asked her to weigh in on. She reiterated that I might be better off having a professional fit and waiting to buy EXACTLY what I want.
My thoughts, after reading various fit stories, is that I'm just as well off figuring out fit by trying various bikes and spending more time riding. And that this is probably worth the build kit & wheels for a frame in the future.

Am I rationalizing?

Any CAAD 7 riders care to share thoughts.

avalonracing
09-11-2009, 09:35 PM
Last I checked you can't get a custom made, complete bike for $650. So, if the CAAD7 fits, it sounds like a decent deal. If it isn't close fit forget it. But if it is within 2cm of correct you can ride it and figure out what works best for you for your perfect bike.
A bike that is off by 4 cm is not a deal no matter what the cost is so again, if not close, keep looking.
If frame is in good shape you can get a couple of hundred for it and put it toward one of the great deals on frames that come through here or save up for a custom Serotta built just for you.

nahtnoj
09-11-2009, 09:37 PM
I came across an Ultegra/Dura Ace (9 spd) CAAD 7 with Ksyrium SLs for $650. Approximately 1500 miles (in 1 year ~ sat since then for health reasons) by a 140lb rider.

Sounds like a pretty good deal if for no other reason than to get a nice build kit. Ride it for a while and if you don't like the frame sell it for $250 and get something else. You have very little to lose.

regularguy412
09-11-2009, 09:40 PM
Last I checked you can't get a custom made, complete bike for $650. So, if the CAAD7 fits, it sounds like a decent deal. If it isn't close fit forget it. But if it is within 2cm of correct you can ride it and figure out what works best for you for your perfect bike.
A bike that is off by 4 cm is not a deal no matter what the cost is so again, if not close, keep looking.

I'd agree with this, especially if you are still early in your cycling career and trying to figure out what kind of geometry works for you.

I rode some of the early series Cannondales: 3.0 Criterium and 2.8 Series. The 3.0 didn't work, so it's now relegated to trainer status and absolute last resort bicycle. The 2.8 was better; at least, the geometry worked a little better, but the ride was not all that comfy. I _will_ say that the miles on those bicycles helped me decide what I 'didn't' want.

Mike in AR:beer:

ahumblecycler
09-11-2009, 09:42 PM
I rode a CAAD7 from 2005 (spring) to 2007 (fall). I saved three months of graduate stipends to be able to afford that bike. I never changed a thing except the saddle (to an Arione, which my butt liked until the slight change in 2007). I "upgraded" to a full carbon bike. Yes the new bike was lighter, stiffer, faster, and overall looked better (oh, and it was much more expensive). However, I never had the fun on it that I had on my CAAD7. Before I could do centuries, I consistently put 50 to 60 mile rides on her on OK, MO, & KS roads (not the best in the world).

I miss my Patriot Blue CAAD7, and I always keep my eyes open for a sweet deal on one.

Just my 2 1/3 cents (inflation).

VTCaraco
09-11-2009, 10:11 PM
Fit looks like it'll be pretty spot on.

Per being new to cycling, I've got a good 19 years in the sport, but I've bounced back and forth between road and mountain and find that my body demands a fairly different fit than it did when I was in my 20s. Last year I rode a cross bike (as my name suggest, I'm in VT; so between the hills and road surface, the cross was perfect for exploring), but this year has been on a carbon fiber Kestrel. I've liked it for many reasons, but definitely have curiosities about many other options. And I can't seem to get 100% comfortable on it.

I should also add that I'm around 205 to 210 lbs, so was thinking that the flex/stiffness of this frame & wheels might be pretty ideal.

I'd love any more thoughts that folks could offer. My tentative plan is to check-out & potentially pick up the bike tomorrow (Saturday).

GregL
09-11-2009, 10:40 PM
Cannondale evolved their aluminum frames continuously over the years. The CAAD7 frames were late enough in that evolution to have, IMO, some of the best geometry Cannondale offered. The CAAD7 geometry carried through to the later CAAD8, 9, and Six13 models. I've got a Six13 Team frame which I like very much. It's a do-it-all bike, solid in a Tuesday night training race yet comfortable enough for a Sunday century. If the CAAD7 you are interested in looks like it will be a good fit, you really can't go wrong. If you decide you don't like it, the parts alone could be sold off and pay for the acquisition cost of the entire bike.

Regards,
Greg

nm87710
09-12-2009, 09:24 AM
You can't loose...so give it a try.

At 650 for those specs you could easily part it out for more than what you paid. Assuming the frame is not dinged/scratched it is worth ~350 depending on which fork. Plus old retro guys just love that 9sp DA stuff so if it only has 1500 miles it's easily sellable.

I picked up a NOS CAAD7 a year ago to try and build an all new $1500 15lb Great Recession Racer that performs as well as my old $8000 14lb carbon bike. After 15K miles on the CAAD7 I'd call it a do everything blue collar workhorse bike that can't be beat. Nothing sexy. No bling. Not a head turner. It just gets the job done. 150 mile rides, dirt, gravel, chip seal, rain, crits, rr, long climbs, screaming fast decents and whatever else you throw at it the CAAD7 performs like a champ. Yea it's stiff but then it's designed to be a race performance bike not a trans-continental cruiser. IMO, the CAAD frames offer the best race performance per dollar than any other frame - it's not even close. Set aside all the current industry marketing hyperbole and with a little bargain hunting a CAAD frame can easily be the foundation for a 1500 bike that's as good as anything costing 3-5 times as much.

Good luck

mike p
09-12-2009, 10:14 AM
"a custom made, complete bike for $650." Where!! Maybe a frame without fork. This is a complete bike with nice wheels and DA 9sp.

The caad 7,8, and 9's are all great bikes. Probably the best race bikes out there in that price range. You can spend thousands more and not do as well. If your size go for it.

Mike

If frame is in good shape you can get a couple of hundred for it and put it toward one of the great deals on frames that come through here or save up for a custom Serotta built just for you.

sw3759
09-12-2009, 01:57 PM
i agree w/guy412 commments but can't really comment on the CAAD7 issue other than they look really nice.
but i can attest to Cannondale being my favorite trainer bike.i still have my road 3.0 from 1990 or so and it's still going strong.i keep waiting for it fail but it hasn't yet and i kept my 2.8 as a replacment when it does.the ride on the road pretty much sealed my contempt for oversize aluminum.yuck.

Scott

"I rode some of the early series Cannondales: 3.0 Criterium and 2.8 Series. The 3.0 didn't work, so it's now relegated to trainer status and absolute last resort bicycle. The 2.8 was better; at least, the geometry worked a little better, but the ride was not all that comfy. I _will_ say that the miles on those bicycles helped me decide what I 'didn't' want."

Lucky Jack
09-12-2009, 04:14 PM
After looking and window shopping Serotta's for two years, I finally compromised to save some dough and bought a CAAD9 in mid 2008 - it was a rocket......but it didn't fit me, plain and simple. I tried stem changes,0 degree setback seatposts, saddle placement - no luck. In fact it was so skitterish down hills I was scared outta my spandex shorts even at 30mph. (Never had that happen before.)

If it fits you, Cannondale always made a real nice bike (wasn't happy to hear about the 2/3 reductions in force in their PA factory due to ownership change and overseas outsourcing but that's another thread I guess).

However, I ended up doing what everyone else said.....take the component builds and put it on my dream bike custom Serotta - then sold the old frame. FOR ME.......the Serotta was one of the best, well spent investments I should have just done to begin with.

If I can give my 2 cents - be careful. If you're just not going to be happy, go into the deal with your eyes wide open. Good luck and keep us posted !

Kingfisher
09-17-2009, 07:15 AM
I picked up a caad 7, brand new never built up about a month ago on ebay for $300, put a reynolds ouzo pro carbon fork on it, found a used si hollowgram crank, the rest is a mixture of record and chorus, joe young dt wheels. It is a wonderful bike, fast, stable downhills, comfortable with the carbon fork, great bang for the buck, buy it, you won't be disappointed. btw, I'm 6'2" 205.