PDA

View Full Version : Best road clinchers?

madbiker
02-07-2005, 03:07 PM
Alright, no arguements....
Hands down, what are the best road clinchers out there for fast training and road racing? In terms of ride, puncture resistance, high pressure ability, etc...

What about tubes? Does it make a difference what kind are used?
:)

wanderingwheel
02-07-2005, 03:26 PM
My favorite comprimise tire so far is Michellin Axial Pros. They seem to have the best combination of handling, road feel, durability, and puncture resistance. The best riding clinchers I have ever tried are Vittoria Open Corsas, but they seem to wear out real fast. There are lots I haven't tried yet, though, such as Veloflex.

Sean

coylifut
02-07-2005, 03:35 PM
Alright, no arguements....
Hands down, what are the best road clinchers out there for fast training and road racing? In terms of ride, puncture resistance, high pressure ability, etc...

What about tubes? Does it make a difference what kind are used?
:)

Can you clarify by what you mean by high pressure ability.

PaulE
02-07-2005, 03:35 PM
I've only ever used the Vittoria Open Corsa's, which I like. In my experience, the newer EVO version seem more puncture resistant than the earlier version. The new version wears about the same as the old version.

As for tubes, I've had good success with the Michelin airstop butyl with the non-threaded brass valve stem. I have had better luck with those than other brands, such as the Vittoria tube.

hooverone
02-07-2005, 03:46 PM
I love conti tires, I have never not liked any of them, I mostly have used GP 3000's and attack/force tires.

Also Conti tires go on easily, where I have had to struggle trying to put on a michelin.

Jim

Kevan
02-07-2005, 04:12 PM
Oh... I guess you are. Anyway there's no perfect response here. The tires I love this year will be replaced with a new love next. That's how we cyclists are.. our love is fleeting. We spend endless hours lusting, craving.... yearning (Anyone else notice how warm its gotten around here? Phew!!!).

The criteria is: they have to be ungodly expensive, light weight, Lance has had to wear them as bracelets, they have to match our handlebar tape, and to be REALLY, REALLY good.... we can't be sure how to pronounce their name.

Now stop your wimpering, trying to cause a fight here and pull out that damn catalog and spend more money than any reasonable person would. Oh... and one last thing... buy 3 of them... you'll thank me sometime August/September, if not sooner. :D

christian
02-07-2005, 04:14 PM
I love conti tires, I have never not liked any of them, I mostly have used GP 3000's and attack/force tires.

Really? I pretty much loathe them. They seem to have good treadwear and they grip fine, but I find they blow out or rot the sidewalls if you look at them sternly. I don't think I ever had a pair of GPs where the sidewall didn't fail before the tread did.

I use Michelin Axial Pro (23mm), Michelin Dynamic (25mm - $10!), and Panaracer RolyPoly (28mm). I find them all pretty good, and the Dynamics are an absolute steal for the price.

- Christian

Kevan
02-07-2005, 04:23 PM
call these people and tell'm I sent you. If they hang up on you, wait 10 minutes then call'm back and disguise your voice. Their prices are very good and you might even get free inner tubes too. :D

http://www.worldclasscycles.com/

lnomalley
02-07-2005, 04:52 PM
By a factor of ten (I am totally serious) Challenge Criteriums are the best clincher (they call them open tubulars) that I have ever ridden (I swore by axial pros and vittorias for racing until the minute I tried the Challange ones last week). They are hand made in Thailand from the old Clement molds and are the most supple tires bar none (including tubulars) that I have ever used. You can throw the bike so insanely deep into a corner on these an they never break free. I'll bet you that you will love them as much as I do.

eddief
02-07-2005, 05:22 PM
I know they don't cost the most and I can't tell them apart from Michelin Pro Race, but Rubinos seem mighty fine to me. La Bicicletta made me one heck of a great deal when I bought ten - $18 each. Maybe that's why they ride so smooth. $18 seems like the right amount to pay for a flimso rubber hoop, now don't it? Especially when they are hard to find for less than $40 anywhere on the net or my local retailer.

vandeda
02-07-2005, 05:41 PM
I currently use Vredestien 700x23 Tri-Comps on both my bikes, including my commuter which sees 20+ lbs hanging off the rear panniers ... or front panniers ... or whatever wacko weight distribution I feel like putting on it ... the Centurion never complains. I use these in combination with the cheapest tubes I can get, which I think are Kenda's which I get for something like $1.80 a piece or around there.

Results? Love it. Never had a punture with this combo and seem to be wearing very well. These tires have treated me very well ... whether mid summer in 90 degree heat, or riding last week in 15F freeze w/salt on the roads. And they seem to be very puncture/damage resistant. For example, while riding at night on my Centurion couple months ago, I had ~15 lbs on the rear pannier, I was sitting in the saddle, and I hit a very large pothole (4+ inches deep) because I wasn't paying very close attention. I flat spotted my rear rim pretty bad ... thump thump thump. However, both the tire and tube were intact :eek: I couldn't believe I didn't get a snake bite, but that was many many miles ago and I'm on the same tube. I was only running about 60 psi at the time which was part of the problem, the maximum and recommended pressure of the tires is 140 psi. If I was running 140 psi, I'm not sure if I would have flat spotted the rim ... maybe ... but I'm not sure.

However, I probably don't ride on corners as hard as others here, so I can't fully speak for the racing attributes in those terms ... for me, the price is too high if I mess up on a fast corner.

Dan

Marron
02-07-2005, 06:56 PM
I've been amazed at the durability of the Conti 4 Seasons. I don't know if its just luck, but I've been riding 2 pairs since last August and have not had a single flat. That includes many miles in the dark on my commute on a fixed, not the gentlest use pattern.

While the ride is not as refined as some of the lighter tires I've used, it is more than adequete and well worth the trade off in durability. Traction seems to be much better than average.

Keith A
02-07-2005, 07:29 PM
Another vote for the Michelin Pro Races (Axial Pros and now ProČ Races). I've good luck with them and very few punctures. For a tire that will give you more mileage, give the Michelin Carbons a try -- these have also served me well as a fast training tire.

BTW, many places are cutting the cost of the Pro Races to prepare for the ProČ Race's that are replacing them.

Edit: Many mailorder shops (Excel, Nashbar, etc) have the Pro Races for $30

Ken Robb
02-07-2005, 07:49 PM
Liked:
good riding tires: Open Pros, Pro Race, GP3000, Vredestein Fortezza, Vittoria Open Corsa, Conti Ultragatorskin, Rivendell Rolly- Poly and Ruffy-Tuffy.

Bad riding: Specialized Armadillos--like bricks

rotting sidewalls: GP3000

Too many flats: Open Pros and Pro Race

Best overall for me: Ultragatorskins, Roly-Poly, Ruffy-Tuffy. The RP is the lightest of these. The Ultragatorskins are darn near flat-proof as are the Ruffy-Tuffys and don't feel like anything but performance tires to me. At $32 list the Ultras are good value too.

lnomalley
02-08-2005, 01:27 AM
if you go to cyclingnews.com today there is a picture of the Challenge tire in a little article about Team DBL becoming Team Sotheby's.. its one of the last images in the gallery.

madbiker
02-08-2005, 05:51 AM
What about the tufo C S22 clincher/tubular tires? Seems like these would eliminate pinch flats...
Any experiences? Are they a lot heavier than a standard tire/tube combo?
I take it they are not repairable if you puncture (other than their goo they sell, which I don't have a lot of faith in...)?

BarryG
02-08-2005, 06:51 AM
By a factor of ten Challenge Criteriums are the best clincher that I have ever ridden
Do you mean the Challenge Elites? Aren't Criteriums tubulars?

dirtdigger88
02-08-2005, 07:58 AM
What about the tufo C S22 clincher/tubular tires? Seems like these would eliminate pinch flats...
Any experiences? Are they a lot heavier than a standard tire/tube combo?
I take it they are not repairable if you puncture (other than their goo they sell, which I don't have a lot of faith in...)?

I have not ridden them but I hear the ride quality is not up to top level other clinchers- my personal favorite- Vittoria Open Corsa- and I can honestly say I have at least tried almost every upper end clincher that there is

Jason

lnomalley
02-08-2005, 08:23 AM
Do you mean the Challenge Elites? Aren't Criteriums tubulars?

no, the criteriums are open tubulars (clinchers). the one in the picture is a clincher for sure. it's goofy, but i've never been so excited by a tire that i've used....

davids
02-08-2005, 08:42 AM
Vredstein Fortezza TriComps: What others have said. Supple ride and great durability. Plus, the grey looks great with my silver bike.

Veloflex Blacks: Significantly lighter than the TriComps, even more supple. But they've worn very quickly for me, and even worse, they've cut easily. I lost one after only a few hundred miles. I'm relatively light and relatively easy, although I ride a lot of urban and suburban roads.

Next up... Michelin Axial Pros: I'm hoping this is going to get me to the sweet spot for weight, ride, and durability. The new Pro2s even come in grey!

Ahneida Ride
02-08-2005, 09:24 AM

Also Conti tires go on easily, where I have had to struggle trying to put on a michelin.

Jim

Conti's are great, If you like sidewalls ready to blow out !
My advice .... stay off Conti's. I've had superior performance from Michelins.

NateM
02-08-2005, 09:35 AM
where can tires be purchased,I can only find the tubulars

Sandy
02-08-2005, 09:43 AM
You can purchase them through Performance. I have never seen them in their stores but they are on their website (www.performancebike.com).

Poor Performer,

Sandy

weisan
02-08-2005, 09:45 AM
Try this:

http://froogle.google.com/froogle?hl=en&lr=&tab=wf&q=Challenge+Criterium&btnG=Search+Froogle

DollarBill
02-08-2005, 09:47 AM
Mondo tires. They hold 130 PSI. I have replaced only one pair in about 6,000 miles. Only one flat - a fish hook. They are bullet-proof for bad roads. The only tire that I replaced had several pieces of glass embedded in the tread but, not a single flat.

These are the only tires that I will use. Several of my friends use the tires as well. Between the four of us, we have had two flats in over 12,000 miles. Also, we ride some nasty roads in Florida -lots of glass, nails, etc.

They are a little stiff at first but, they soften after a few hundred miles. The best part is that they cost $40 a tire.

lnomalley
02-08-2005, 11:39 AM
where can tires be purchased,I can only find the tubulars

Challenge is very new to the US... I am making a few calls to find out where you can get them.... right now your best bet is through their website info line. There are a few stores in Los Angeles that are about to carry them. (I think veloworx in Brentwood is a good place to call).

http://www.challengetech.it/contatti.php
i'll drop more info when i have it. i think the performance link is good (via froogle)

CNote
02-08-2005, 11:49 AM
Lately I'm really likin' the Vittoria Diamantes. Nice, supple ride, and they seem to wear pretty long.

BarryG
02-08-2005, 12:00 PM
Vredstein Fortezza TriComps
Yeah, been running TriComps for years and it's a consistent performer - not prone to flatting, nice ride, reliable construction.

crossjunkee
02-08-2005, 01:18 PM
I second Conti's, never had a problem. Axial's are nice too, but they're sticky and pick up everything!

William
02-08-2005, 04:26 PM
A good compromise, low cost, respectable performance and durability tire are the Specialized All Conditions tires (with Flak Jacket technology don't ya know). They ride nice, stick well and so far haven't had any flats after many hundreds of miles...which for my size on the roads around here is a big deal. They've held up on the fixed gear grunge bike as well.

And they ride MUCH better than Armadillos!

William

Ken Robb
02-08-2005, 07:04 PM
wooden buckboard wheels with iron hoop tires ride better than Armadillos. I couldn't stand the ride long enough to see how well they would hold up.

madbiker
02-08-2005, 09:22 PM
Anyone have experience with the Bontranger tires? Are they made by another company?

Dekonick
02-08-2005, 09:37 PM
Armodillo's are bulletproof - but your nuts better be as well.....

dave thompson
02-08-2005, 10:22 PM
Anyone have experience with the Bontranger tires? Are they made by another company?
I'm running Bontrager RaceLites on my Ottrott and my wife's Calfee. I like 'em, light, smooth good looking and seem to grip well. Not enough miles yet to determine how long they will last. And they're relatively cheap for what they are.

gasman
02-08-2005, 11:09 PM
Mondo tires. They hold 130 PSI. I have replaced only one pair in about 6,000 miles. Only one flat - a fish hook. They are bullet-proof for bad roads. The only tire that I replaced had several pieces of glass embedded in the tread but, not a single flat.

These are the only tires that I will use. Several of my friends use the tires as well. Between the four of us, we have had two flats in over 12,000 miles. Also, we ride some nasty roads in Florida -lots of glass, nails, etc.

They are a little stiff at first but, they soften after a few hundred miles. The best part is that they cost $40 a tire.

Interesting- I found the ride fairly stiff even after 1,000 miles and traded them for Mich Pros , which I love.
The Mondos do seem to be fairly resistant to flats, I only had one while using them.

gasman
02-08-2005, 11:16 PM
wooden buckboard wheels with iron hoop tires ride better than Armadillos. I couldn't stand the ride long enough to see how well they would hold up.

I'm not too bright- I had them on my commuter after flatting riding home on call, at 10 pm, in a 38 degree pouring rain. I rode my bike home the last 2 miles by lowering the seat and sitting WAY back. The rim was fine, the tire and tube were not so good. Rode them for over a year and couldn't stand them any more. Gave them away.
I now use Conti Gatorskins on my commuter and they work well. They never seem to lose air.(well almost)

OttrottAZ
02-09-2005, 11:49 PM
I loved orange Vred Fortezza Tricomps.... they're no longer available. Where can I get an orange clincher for my black and Ti Ottrott. Oh, why did the Dutch forsake their national color, why?why? Oh, for an orange clincher. Now I'm stuck riding those stupid red or dark blue Vreds with the central black stripe.

gasman
08-01-2012, 07:03 PM
Reviving this thread.

what do people like for a good fast group ride/racing tire that doesn't cut easily ? or do I just have bad luck ? Have tried Michelin PR3s and Vittoria Evo cx 320 tpi most recently.

Ken Robb
08-01-2012, 07:17 PM
I have had good luck with Continental GP4000 and Ultragatorskins in 700x25 and 700x28. Some riders say the Gatorskins are slow and dead but that wasn't my reaction riding them with 90 psi under my 200 lbs. OTOH I am slow and almost dead so my opinion may be invalid for fast guys.:)

rnhood
08-01-2012, 07:28 PM
Another vote for the Conti 4000 in 25, and pumped to 80-85 lbs. Great ride and performance, and no flats. I settled on these after running the gamut of tires, including the ProRace 3 and Evo CX. The all ride and handle good but the Conti is step ahead in durability.

gasman
08-01-2012, 07:40 PM
Another vote for the Conti 4000 in 25, and pumped to 80-85 lbs. Great ride and performance, and no flats. I settled on these after running the gamut of tires, including the ProRace 3 and Evo CX. The all ride and handle good but the Conti is step ahead in durability.

I've used the Conti 4000-actually for commuting. The ride isn't as good but they are more durable. Still riding in the winter here I had mutiple falts and went back to Dillo Elites.

Anyone have good luck with Schwlabe ?

ctcyclistbob
08-01-2012, 08:08 PM
+1 on the Conti Gatorskins ... I like 'em.

I have had good luck with Continental GP4000 and Ultragatorskins in 700x25 and 700x28. Some riders say the Gatorskins are slow and dead but that wasn't my reaction riding them with 90 psi under my 200 lbs. OTOH I am slow and almost dead so my opinion may be invalid for fast guys.:)

scooter
08-01-2012, 08:33 PM
(1) Conti 4000 23 front / 25 rear - better now in wet with black chili compound. Good durability and what I ride on mostly
(2) Michelin Pro 4 - Not as harsh as Conti 4000 but not as durable
(3) Vittoria Corsa Evo - Great ride quality but cuts easily and wears fast

I just picked up a pair of Schwalbe Ultremo ZX's and a pair of Veloflex Corsas for some wheelset rebuilds, so I can opine sometime next year on those.

ckamp
08-01-2012, 09:35 PM
Conti Gatorskins are great. I just tried them this season in 25's. I don't think I will ride 23's again.

mike p
08-01-2012, 09:45 PM
I concur with 1,2, and 3. My experience exactly.

Mike

(1) Conti 4000 23 front / 25 rear - better now in wet with black chili compound. Good durability and what I ride on mostly
(2) Michelin Pro 4 - Not as harsh as Conti 4000 but not as durable
(3) Vittoria Corsa Evo - Great ride quality but cuts easily and wears fast

I just picked up a pair of Schwalbe Ultremo ZX's and a pair of Veloflex Corsas for some wheelset rebuilds, so I can opine sometime next year on those.

tuscanyswe
08-01-2012, 10:48 PM
By a factor of ten (I am totally serious) Challenge Criteriums are the best clincher (they call them open tubulars) that I have ever ridden (I swore by axial pros and vittorias for racing until the minute I tried the Challange ones last week). They are hand made in Thailand from the old Clement molds and are the most supple tires bar none (including tubulars) that I have ever used. You can throw the bike so insanely deep into a corner on these an they never break free. I'll bet you that you will love them as much as I do.

I too really like criteriums but i think the sidewalls are abit poor. Grip isent better than contis imo but the feel and percieved low rolling resistance is very nice idd.

tuscanyswe
08-01-2012, 10:58 PM
no, the criteriums are open tubulars (clinchers). the one in the picture is a clincher for sure. it's goofy, but i've never been so excited by a tire that i've used....

They come in both tubular and clinchers (open tubular)

Edit: But maybe they dident back in 05? :)

charliedid
08-01-2012, 10:59 PM
Lately I'm really likin' the Vittoria Diamantes. Nice, supple ride, and they seem to wear pretty long.

Me too with Bontrager XXX Lite tubes ride great

cnighbor1
08-02-2012, 12:04 AM
keep in mind latest is wide rims and tires
they are faster
less air pressure also

beeatnik
08-02-2012, 04:51 AM
keep in mind latest is wide rims and tires
they are faster
less air pressure also

Wide rim, yes. Wide tire, not necessarily. 23mm rim width paired with 23mm tire is optimal.

Ralph
08-02-2012, 06:43 AM
I really like the Conti Gatorskins for durability and long life. They just last and last, and don't flat.....for me. I hate fixing flats on my daily rides. Great training tire, and general all around riding tire. I use the 700X25's and run them in the 80-90 lb range. They don't beat you up too bad at those pressures.

They are probably too harsh, casing too thick, rubber too hard, etc, for racing. I also ride some Pro Race 3's. They ride great. But the same characteristics that make them a racing tire, make them a poor choice for general riding anf training IMHO. As you can tell.....I see no reason to ride a pure racing tire for general all around use.

Maybe other Conti tires.....are a combination of both. Racing and general use. Reasonable flat protection, supple feel, reasonable life, etc.

19wisconsin64
08-02-2012, 08:55 AM
i agree with what scooter said.

one note: the fresher the tire (newer), the more supple the ride. the sidewalls give more when fresh.

i've been riding continental 4000's for a while, and have been very, very happy.

i race my track bike on vittoria tires.

cheers

veloduffer
08-02-2012, 09:41 AM
I'm a fan of Schwalbe Ultremo ZX and Bontrager R4 tires. Grippy, light and durable thus far and comparable to Michelins and Vittoria. Plus, they're easier to mount than Michelins.

CAAD
08-02-2012, 10:31 AM
I always run veloflex corsa 22s with latex. Will try the 23s next tme around. Just as reliable as any other tire but with a buttery smooth ride. They also roll great. Only get around 3k miles out of them. I run them at 110psi.

buldogge
08-02-2012, 10:48 AM
Conti GP4000s 23 and 25c
Schwalbe Ultremo ZX 25 and 28c
Veloflex Master 23c

I have good luck and a nice ride with all of these...and...very few issues on mainly urban and suburban streets/paths.

-Mark in St. Louis

jlwdm
08-02-2012, 10:56 AM

Edit: But maybe they dident back in 05? :)

good one.

Jeff

FlashUNC
08-02-2012, 11:09 AM
Another GP4000 and Gatorskin fan. Just really solid tires imo.

I always had bad luck with Michelins. Always seemed to flat more than whatever Conti tire I had replaced them with.

I know a couple guys who swear by Schwalbe's stuff.

FWIW, I also tried a pair of 27mm Challenge Parigi-Roubaixs, and were, without a doubt, the toughest pair of clinchers I've ever had to mount.
The ride is spectacular though.

AngryScientist
08-02-2012, 11:52 AM
challenge.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-iFwoZoBuIr4/T-nLWub2yeI/AAAAAAAAAgs/0zftAnnKgAk/s640/IMG_0033.JPG