PDA

View Full Version : Hey, I rode a bike today! (OT in a way)

M_A_Martin
02-07-2005, 02:04 PM
Yeah...it was a recumbent'
Yeah...it was stationary
Yeah...it was only 10 minutes
Yeah...it *was* in physical therapy

But my leg went round and round! And boy...it got tired out.

My PT's words: "We're going to do this here before you do this at home." (You'd think they know me or something...)

ACL replacement surgery went well, anesthesia went well, PT is going well, the knee is recovering better/feels better than it did from my accident back in October...heck, in some ways it feels better than it did *before* the 27th! (surgery day) Fish oil seems to be working just fine for pain. Ice for swelling.
My extension is at 0 degrees and my flexion is at 111.

And I rode a bike today! Yay!

(background is: October 22 I crashed my mtb on the north country pathway and tore my MCL/ACL. I walked out 2 miles. It sucked. Got stuck in a brace for three months so the MCL could heal before they did the ACL surgery. Couldn't straighten the leg all the way, turns out the ACL was jammed up in the front of the knee preventing full extension...Surgery was January 27th. I hope to be riding my Kirk outside at the end of April)

weisan
02-07-2005, 02:14 PM
Hooray! Perservere on, Ginger, the road ahead awaits you! :D

Len J
02-07-2005, 02:21 PM
One smallstep for Mary ann.....one giant leap for.....oh never mind.

Congratulations.

Continued wishes for quick recovery.

Len

Kevan
02-07-2005, 02:34 PM
what was your average? :D

Go girl!

Keith A
02-07-2005, 02:34 PM
Having "been there and done that", this is indeed a great step forward. :banana:

You start off by just rocking back and forth trying to get you knee to bend a little more each time and when you can finally get it all the way around, you are ready to jump for joy -- but off course you can't jump anymore.

Keep it up and you'll be good as new before you know it.

Sandy
02-07-2005, 02:37 PM
Wow!! You have had enough of those surgeries. You keep a remarkably upbeat attitude and that is really wonderful. Hopefully this surgery will be your last. Hope to see you at the Serotta Weekend in June. We need you there. You are part of the package.

As they say in the life of dogs- Heal, Heal, Heal,.......

Sandy

93legendti
02-07-2005, 02:42 PM
Congrats. I hope every day gets better.

Climb01742
02-07-2005, 03:01 PM
i'd like to add my congrats, too. may you not only come back, but come back stronger than ever, for even more fun when you ride. hang tough, as i'm sure you will. :banana:

spiderman
02-07-2005, 03:53 PM
maybe your therapist
could put a serotta forum sticker
on your recumbant trainer!
very impressive range of motion post op!
...keep on spinning!
seriously,
what kind of cadence and resistance
do you have in rehab...
...and even though
everyone is wondering and no one has asked...
...did you sweat??

Kevan
02-07-2005, 04:00 PM
cool out on that web of your's man. jeez! :D

Well, maybe Ginger wants to answer anyway, go ahead Ging...

M_A_Martin
02-07-2005, 04:27 PM
Thanks guys!

The first time out I wasn't worried about cadence or resistance...I was pretty shocked when it went over the top the first time. I didn't think it was going to go today. I'm not even sure I'm going fast enough to turn the machine "on".

but no...I didn't sweat. I'll probably make use of the PT's handi-cycle for actual workouts for a while.

I think it's a tribute to cycling (and pre-surgery PT) that my PT doesn't even bother with the standard strength tests that they give to post-surgery ACL patients, we moved directly to tests that would actually "mean something" at my first visit last Monday.

And I think the post surgery range of motion was aided by the severed ACL. Pre-surgery we were trying to achieve 0 degrees on extension, we could never get there. Gross as it sounds, I think we were using the severed ACL as a fulcrum inside the knee, so the knee was probably over-stretched pre-surgery which has helped post surgery.

I work on the extension/flexion at home a lot. I don't let myself get lazy with the leg right now. I'd rather cause myself a little pain and stay one step ahead of PT, than having them cause me lots-o-pain when it's time to get things moving.

And I'm a "gumby". My good leg shows flexion of 159 without trying even though it doesn't bend as far as easily as it used to before its surgery in 2003.

I suspect there will be a few setbacks and plateaus along the way, but we're just 11 days away from surgery and the steristrips haven't fallen off and bruises haven't even faded yet.

Thanks again!

Ginger

Chief
02-07-2005, 04:45 PM
Wonderful!
Wonderful!
Wonderful!

alembical
02-07-2005, 06:01 PM
If I can offer any advice, I really recommend taking your temperature daily. My PT and good friend told me to do this, and although I was on a bike (trainer) 4 days after ACL, had no significant redness, or no more swelling than normal; because I took my temperature, I was able to find an infection (antibiotic resistent staph) that could have been real real bad. It was still bad, but it could have been much worse.

Congratulations and follow that PT,
Alembical

OldDog
02-07-2005, 06:41 PM
Best wishes for a speedy recovery!

slowgoing
02-07-2005, 06:58 PM
Good going!

Breaking up three months worth of scar tissue from the bracing doesn't sound like that much fun, but it looks like you're well on the way to recovery. Keep it up and the swelling down and you'll be riding your bike to ride your bike again in no time!

BumbleBeeDave
02-07-2005, 07:09 PM
I am SO glad to hear you are making a good recovery! To be so into cycling and have that beautiful Kirk AND be unable to ride it must be sheer torture! I also admire your constantly upbeat attitude!

Now her’s something to consider, based on my limited knowledge of your riding experience . . .

Motorcyle = Crash and lengthy recovery time
Mountain Bike = crash and lengthy recovery time
Road Bike = No crash and zero recovery time

See what I’m sayin’, lady?

BBDave

M_A_Martin
02-07-2005, 08:20 PM
What Dave? That I should stay off two wheels?

Mortocycle accident happened after 8 years of riding (ticket and) accident free.
Last big mtb crash back in '95 was a three year recovery...And if I were to pick a style of riding that I had to stick with for the rest of my life? It would be trail riding. I love riding in the woods on my bikey. Mountain lions or no. And the mountain bike is safer than riding one of my horses...really.
The road bike? Two good crashes, one in '92 when I was just starting to learn pacelines and whatnot, mostly bruises and road rash...and one in '02 that toasted my already trashed ankle. I tucked and rolled really well, thought I was just a bit shaken (and scuffed my carbon!) and was contemplating my good fortune, then I tried to get up...the already unstable ankle hadn't survived the disconnect with the bike...I was riding on borrowed time on that one anyhow (was scheduled to get fixed from the mcycle accd).

So the real answer would be to stick to the speed skates. I've yard sailed a couple times, but I've only come up with road rash from the pads on those crashes...10 wheels as opposed to 2.

alembical: Yep, the thought of a staph infection gives me the heebie jeebies. I check my temp every day. It was almost 100 the night after surgery, but then it has subsided to "amost normal" for me...between 97.6 and 98.2 (my normal is 97.6 or so) but I am keeping an eye on it.

Slowgoing: That's when I decided I didn't want to watch this surgery. I had already had my spinal administered and once they had me strapped down most of the way they let me come out of it a bit so I could watch like I wanted to. I looked down and the doc was winging my leg around breaking up scar tissue in the knee and I could feel it. OUCH. I looked up at my nurse anesthestist and said: "I don't want to watch this one, put me out." So he did...

BumbleBeeDave
02-07-2005, 09:01 PM
. . . a tricycle? :rolleyes:

BBD

dave thompson
02-07-2005, 09:18 PM
. . . a tricycle? :rolleyes:

BBD
Nah. Jag convertible.

RABikes2
02-07-2005, 11:02 PM
Wonderful to hear you are on the mend MA! :) Your attitude is most impressive! Hope your recovery continues on such a positive path and you're back on the bike in no time at all! :banana:

RA

gasman
02-07-2005, 11:50 PM
M A-
I'm so glad to hear you are on the mend. Congratulations !
Glad to hear your anesthesia went well, sorry you couldn't have an Anesthesiologist (an M.D.) :D
I better keep quiet now.

Have a speedy recovery. Several of my buddies have had ACL repairs over the years and were back on their bikes as good as new.It does take time to recover as you know but you will get there.
Good luck.

Tom
02-08-2005, 06:43 AM
This is a good time of year to be doing this. Spring comes slowly unless you are working like you are. The next thing you know you'll be out there on the road feeling the sun.