09-11-2009, 08:58 AM
Never Forget.

bostondrunk
09-11-2009, 09:02 AM
Never Forget.

OK, I won't. (meant seriously)

rwsaunders
09-11-2009, 09:12 AM
Sort of quiet out there right now. The weather is about the same as it was on that day too.

Steve in SLO
09-11-2009, 09:19 AM
My wife lost her cousin on one of the planes. We will never forget.

nahtnoj
09-11-2009, 09:26 AM
I can't.

My parents were in grade school when JFK was assassinated, and remember exactly where they were and what they were doing when the got the news. 9/11 is that event for my generation.

fiamme red
09-11-2009, 09:37 AM
Sort of quiet out there right now. The weather is about the same as it was on that day too.Actually, here in NYC, it's quite different. That morning was calm with clear skies. This morning was very windy and rainy.

Ray
09-11-2009, 09:43 AM
Actually, here in NYC, it's quite different. That morning was calm with clear skies. This morning was very windy and rainy.
Yeah, same here around Philly. That horrible day was one of the most beautiful early autumn days I can ever remember. Today is windy and stormy.

I doubt anyone who was of old enough to have a memory of it will ever forget that day. And if we're somehow able to in another 30 or 40 years, that will be good news indeed.

-Ray

Vancouverdave
09-11-2009, 09:45 AM
So, exactly why do we still buy oil from Saudi Arabia? If enough Americans rode bikes as transportation, OBL couldn't afford the Vaseline to schtup his camel with. Terrorism costs money--we provide it by the absolute insanity and stupidity of our transportation policies.

RPS
09-11-2009, 09:49 AM
I can't.

My parents were in grade school when JFK was assassinated, and remember exactly where they were and what they were doing when the got the news. 9/11 is that event for my generation.
May seem a lifetime apart, but I remember both as clearly.

sc53
09-11-2009, 10:08 AM
I will never forget that day. As other mid-Atlantic residents have noted, the weather today is very different from that gloriously clear, blue, perfect autumn morning 8 yrs ago.

clunk
09-11-2009, 10:11 AM
Cinci, check your inbox.

avalonracing
09-11-2009, 10:23 AM
What a strange day that was. After watching six hours of continuous TV coverage I went for a very slow ride with three good friends. It was so quiet out... Few cars, no air traffic. We just talked about everything that had happened that day.

I remember it as being a very special, comforting ride on an otherwise terrible day.

After the ride I went home and watched TV until it was almost light outside again. I used to stay informed of politics and current events before that day but I've been a bit of a political junkie ever since.

93legendti
09-11-2009, 11:05 AM
So, exactly why do we still buy oil from Saudi Arabia?...
Because we refuse to tap our own vast stores of oil and natural gas. Israel and Brazil just found billions of gallons of oil off their respective coast lines. Canada and Mexico tap their vast energy resources. We're the ONLY nation too smart to do that. :rolleyes:

pbjbike
09-11-2009, 11:07 AM

csm
09-11-2009, 11:15 AM
after the hrs and days of news coverage, my dad called me. He was in Alaska riding his bike around and was quite removed from the news. It was surreal telling someone a day or so later what happened. Hearing myself say that the twin towers were gone, not hit, not damaged, but gone was almost unbelievable. that was in response to his question that he'd heard that something happened to them. surprising that even in the day and age of near instant updates and 24 news cycles we still have pockets of our country that are outside CNN et al.
Watching some Coast Guard Admiral getting grilled over an exercise on the Potomac this morning.

DHallerman
09-11-2009, 01:01 PM
The days following were some of the quietest I've ever experienced in NYC. And everyone seemed bonded, like a family can unite after a death. It felt as if everyone on the street had your back, as we had all suffered a loss.

Yes, very much yes.

Two cycling-related thoughts.

I was living in Brooklyn then, at home in the morning when I heard about the two planes crashing into the World Trade towers. I got on my bike to go the few miles to the Brooklyn waterfront -- to the Brooklyn Heights promenade -- to see more.

On my way cycling there, I saw one of the towers burning. That's the last time I ever saw it. On my bike. By the time I got to Brooklyn Heights, the dust from the first falling tower obscured all.

The other thought.

The Sunday after 9/11, the Westchester club decided to still hold its annual Golden Apple ride. And several of my cycling friends and I, from the NYC club, decided that riding together, being together, could be part of the healing.

I arrived at Grand Central Terminal, to take the train to the Golden Apple, a bit before 6:00am.

A Sunday, early, right after 9/11...I have never seen GCT so empty, the great hall like an emotional echo, and I hope never to see that lovely space so empty again.

Dave, a native of New York City

fiamme red
09-11-2009, 01:06 PM
Yes, very much yes.

Two cycling-related thoughts.

I was living in Brooklyn then, at home in the morning when I heard about the two planes crashing into the World Trade towers. I got on my bike to go the few miles to the Brooklyn waterfront -- to the Brooklyn Heights promenade -- to see more.

On my way cycling there, I saw one of the towers burning. That's the last time I ever saw it. On my bike. By the time I got to Brooklyn Heights, the dust from the first falling tower obscured all.For me, 9/11 is also cycling-related. I lost my commuter bike that day, which was locked up on Liberty Street just outside the PATH terminal. When the planes hit the towers, I was at the farmer's market right next to the WTC.

goonster
09-11-2009, 01:16 PM
R.I.P. Eugen

(college classmate, worked at Espeed/Cantor)

Joel
09-11-2009, 01:18 PM
I was on a plane - in the air - when it happened. Oddly enough taking one day off work. With just a carry on bag a helmet and pedals - flying to Denver to get fitted by Ron Keifel at Wheat Ridge for my Legend Ti. Never made it to Denver. Divererted to Tulsa.

Will never forget the Captain's announcement that day...

Joel

johnnymossville
09-11-2009, 01:31 PM
I remember the sense of loss on that day. Like things would never be the same afterward. The next several weeks after were heartening as Americans seemed to come together. How quickly that feeling faded for so many.

Remember how we felt on 9/11. Live like how we felt on 9/12. That's the way I try to think of it.

Cinci Jim
09-11-2009, 01:33 PM
Today is my birthday.

So for me I see people's reaction anytime I have to tell people what my birthday is...

I have seen all different facial expressions and heard all kinds of comments.

It is actually so uncomfortable I tend not to tell people my birthday unless I really have to.

Sad really.

paczki
09-11-2009, 01:47 PM
I will be riding this tomorrow:

http://www.firstgiving.com/22294

Susan Retik's children will perform God Bless America before we ride, which I imagine will be very moving. If anyone wishes to donate.

http://www.firstgiving.com/aarongarrett

And by the way, I intend no judgment about the ultimate goodness or badness of the Afghan war. I am just deeply moved by Susan Retik's and Patti Quigley's ability to turn their mourning to helping others, and by the plight of the widows of war.

Kevan
09-11-2009, 04:27 PM
- The loss of life and it's impact on those people's family, friends and those who have paid the price to defend;

- and the toll it has taken on the freedom and innocence we once enjoyed.

Dekonick
09-11-2009, 11:00 PM
May they rest in peace.