PDA

View Full Version : Did anyone ride with JA the last 30 years?

Ti Designs
09-10-2009, 05:08 PM
The thread about Lance going for a ride and 200 people showing up made me think about my own cycling hero - John Allis. If you show up for a ride with Lance, there's a good chance you'll never talk to the guy, and if you do it's a few seconds that he's never going to remember. Maybe you'll get a picture with Lance, but that's about all and it's about as meaningful as photoshopping Lance into one of your vacation photos...

John Allis is different. John was to cycling in the 70's what Lance is to cycling now, 'cept nobody cared about cycling back then. But John didn't return to racing after he retired, he started coaching new riders and creating a generation of cyclists. What impressed me the most about John was that it didn't matter who you are, he would work with you. Riders too slow to climb the hills with the group would find a helping hand from some old guy who would then give them tips on how to stay in. If you showed up on a cold ride without warm gloves he would pull out a pair of wool gloves from his pocket - "thay gave those to us in the Milk Race in '71", and he wasn't kidding!!! He once gave a rider his warm up suit from the 68 olympics because she was cold - that's kinda like Lance giving you one of his yellow jerseys 'cause it matches your shoes. For 30 years John coached the Harvard team, getting out on the road early in the morning at least 3 times a week, all winter long. At times it was easy to forget who he was - it's 20 degrees out, there are 6 of us, no skin showing... But somehow it always showed just who he is. I've also coached the Harvard team, but John always got the tough jobs. He would get a half dozen of the worst riders and come back from the loop with a smooth paceline. And John is still fast! On one of the morning rides there was an attack and a front group formed with some of the fast riders. The second time I rotated back John had bridged up - yes, the senior citizen had bridged the gap to a group of cat 2's...

John was so off the beaten path that nobody knew what he was worth. People pay a lot for coaching, they contact their coach by e-mail, they do power meter files and talk about training hours. John never charged anyone for his time and he coached the basics of cycling in person - and all you had to do was show up.

I've been riding with John for over 20 years, I've never gone for a ride with Lance Armstrong. Somehow I think that makes me the smart one for a change.

jlwdm
09-10-2009, 05:17 PM
The comparison of LA and John Allis is more than a stretch.

Jeff

Ti Designs
09-10-2009, 05:26 PM
The comparison of LA and John Allis is more than a stretch.

Jeff

Yeh, Lance really isn't in John's league, but people know the name...

jlwdm
09-10-2009, 06:14 PM
It is a different world you live in.

Jeff

Cantdog
09-10-2009, 06:29 PM
Can you live in the Boston area and not ride with JA?

Climb01742
09-10-2009, 06:35 PM
john did my first fit at WW, does that count, ed?

Ti Designs
09-10-2009, 07:08 PM
It is a different world you live in.

Yeh, guess I'm just lucky that way...

Some day you'll be on a ride and get a flat and Lance Armstrong will step forward and fix it for you. Probably not...

A lot of people in the area ride with John and never find out who he is. It's funny to watch because the really good riders show a lot of respect for John while the newer riders think he's just some old guy.

Just to give you an idea of one little bit of John's life and how he influenced cycling - you know VeloNews, right? VeloNews started as Northeast Bicycle News, which was all about racing in this area. The magazine was started by Robert George who I met at John's birthday party years back. John was on the first four covers...

Peter P.
09-10-2009, 07:43 PM
Great story; John Allis is definitely a guy I'd respect, admire, and like to ride with. The OTHER ONE, well,...

david
09-10-2009, 08:31 PM
i remember seeing a photo of john's legs in a program for the red zinger or coors classic. unreal veins.
also remember seeing him in some film about cycling. can't remember what it was, but i do remember a scene showing john riding to work along the charles, getting in some training along the way.
seemed like a cool guy.

MattTuck
09-10-2009, 08:38 PM
Never heard of him before, but John sounds like a cool guy. Thanks for sharing a little bit of his personality.

If he ever passes me while I'm riding, I hope he slows down enough to introduce himself.

rounder
09-10-2009, 09:22 PM
I learned about riding a bike from riding my bike. But i learned a lot about cycling from reading Velonews...especially from reading stories from at the back and books by Maynard Hershon. He often told good stories about long time coach John Allis.

Dekonick
09-11-2009, 12:06 AM
JA sounds like a class act. LA does not. Not saying who is better on a bike, I dunno - but I think I would rather have a cup o joe with JA...

Louis
09-11-2009, 12:20 AM
There really is no need to compare these two guys and look for reasons to say that one is "better" than the other. They are both cyclists, one hyper-famous, the other less so, but still a great person. Each has contributed to cycling in his own way. Why turn it into a "my Dad can beat up your Dad" pissing match?

cleavel
09-11-2009, 12:21 AM
Hi,

I am pretty sure that I was in some races with him 30+ years ago. I never had the pleasure of riding or training with him. I heard nothing but good things about him and I always admired him as a racer.

Ray
09-11-2009, 05:28 AM
Just to give you an idea of one little bit of John's life and how he influenced cycling - you know VeloNews, right? VeloNews started as Northeast Bicycle News, which was all about racing in this area. The magazine was started by Robert George who I met at John's birthday party years back. John was on the first four covers...
Wasn't / isn't he also behind "Ride" magazine? Is that thing even still around? I was profiled as a "supercommuter" or something like that several years ago and they sent me the mag for a while. Seemed pretty good, but was a bit regional for a guy not from the region.

-Ray

soulspinner
09-11-2009, 06:28 AM
Awesome stuff. Being a great cyclist and being humble and giving need not be mutually exclusive---huh...

paczki
09-11-2009, 06:45 AM
No less than:

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=702789&postcount=135

Has a JA story on this site:

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=640980&postcount=77

dekindy
09-11-2009, 06:55 AM
I very much enjoyed learning about JA. I must confess I am too young and was never involved in racing so I had not heard of him.

Comparing him to and criticizing LA, well I just don't get it. It would have been a better tribute to JA without the LA distraction.

Blue Jays
09-11-2009, 08:25 AM
John Allis sounds like a nice guy and a great rider.