PDA

View Full Version : DT 240 hub flange broke

legacysti888
09-08-2009, 06:20 PM
Anyone experienced this before? This is from my front wheel. It was a nice fall.

Pete Serotta
09-08-2009, 06:44 PM
Glad you are ok and hope you heal fast. PETE

DfCas
09-08-2009, 06:48 PM
Was the hub laced more than once? If so, was a different pattern used?

legacysti888
09-08-2009, 06:53 PM
Hub was laced second time using the same rim but new spokes. I've done this many times before on different hubsets... never had a flange failure from any hub - until now.

I suppose even these reputable Swiss precision hubs are not bullet proof.

I am shocked, though. And surprised.

legacysti888
09-08-2009, 06:55 PM
Glad you are ok and hope you heal fast. PETE

Thanks, PETE!

MattTuck
09-08-2009, 07:13 PM
Wow. Hope you're ok.

I am not surprised by product failures these days. With so many of ANY product out in the field, even a .9999 process is probably going to show up with a failure.

DfCas
09-08-2009, 07:20 PM
If you did not match the exact lacing pattern that was used the first time, the extra creases created stress risers and failure can be expected.

Both Shimano and Campy caution against this and the warranty is void in this case.

If you matched the lacing pattern from the first build, then the flange should not fail.

legacysti888
09-08-2009, 07:56 PM
If you did not match the exact lacing pattern that was used the first time, the extra creases created stress risers and failure can be expected.

Both Shimano and Campy caution against this and the warranty is void in this case.

If you matched the lacing pattern from the first build, then the flange should not fail.

It was matched. Thanks!

Kines
09-08-2009, 08:13 PM
Never happened to me.

And not for lack of trying!

KN

gdw
09-08-2009, 08:16 PM
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?postid=164270#poststop

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=2249&highlight=Hugi+customer+service

I posted a link to some pictures of their mountain hubs with broken flanges a number of years ago which you could probably find if you search the forum.

wildboar
09-08-2009, 08:45 PM
Just to be clear, this is a 240 and not the current 240S version?

Glad you are ok.

gdw
09-08-2009, 09:07 PM
He had a 240s fail. Most of the problems that I posted about were with the first versions of the 240.

wildboar
09-08-2009, 09:24 PM
Oh yeah I guess I could have looked at that middle picture with the little "S" after the 240. :crap:

jmc22
09-08-2009, 10:18 PM
It was matched. Thanks!

Not trying to doubt that you matched the lace pattern as previous, but can you explain in the pics you posted what appears that to the right of the 3 outward spokes? Based on the pic the small indications appear (based on my judgement) to be that of possibly the previous spoke location. All 3 marks seem to be in the same area as it relates to distance from the hub & spoke. The top & middle pics appear to show the marks on 2 of the areas the best.
Thanks

legacysti888
09-09-2009, 04:03 AM
Not trying to doubt that you matched the lace pattern as previous, but can you explain in the pics you posted what appears that to the right of the 3 outward spokes? Based on the pic the small indications appear (based on my judgement) to be that of possibly the previous spoke location. All 3 marks seem to be in the same area as it relates to distance from the hub & spoke. The top & middle pics appear to show the marks on 2 of the areas the best.
Thanks

You may be right, but I think there have been several assemblies before I settled on the original setup. Thanks for noticing the details.

Wheel failures scare me to death.I've had a spoke break on me a few times, but never a flange.

Peter P.
09-09-2009, 06:00 AM
Was the hub laced more than once? If so, was a different pattern used?

DfCase "gets it". From the picture, it looks as if the lacing pattern was changed between the first and second build as seen from the spoke hole distortion.

I had a Campy Nuovo Record flange fail the same way, decades ago. Campy USA was kind enough to replace the hub but informed me that changing the lacing causes stress risers that can lead to hub failure. I DID change the spoke orientation prior to the failure.