PDA

View Full Version : Questions About Converting from a Shimano Triple to a Compact

Mort
02-06-2005, 03:26 PM
I had my CSI built with a Dura Ace nine-speed triple three years ago. I'm just not happy with the shifting performance, especially when compared with my Ultegra-equipped double-chain ring "second" bike (although that bike doesn't have quite the low-end gears that I need). Thus, I'm thinking of converting to compact chain rings on the CSI, but want to minimize the new components I have to buy. Therefore, some questions:

--Will the left-hand sift/brake lever work on a double, or do I have to replace it? If it has to be replaced, does anyone know where I could find just the left-hand unit? All I see on-line are complete sets.

--I assume I'll need to replace the triple front derailleur, but can I still use the current rear?

--Since the triple bottom bracket is wider than standard, I'll replace it. Having had bad experiences ordering BBs for an older Bianchi, I have to ask: what's the threading on a 3-year old CSI?

--Anything I'm missing?

Thanks

dave thompson
02-06-2005, 03:43 PM
--Will the left-hand sift/brake lever work on a double, or do I have to replace it? If it has to be replaced, does anyone know where I could find just the left-hand unit? All I see on-line are complete sets.
Yes it will work, you will have more trim positions until you learn to shift with a 'big' sweep of the lever instead of smaller inputs.

--I assume I'll need to replace the triple front dérailleur, but can I still use the current rear?
Front should work OK, if you set it up well, limit screws etc. Rear, no need to replace.

--Since the triple bottom bracket is wider than standard, I'll replace it. Having had bad experiences ordering BBs for an older Bianchi, I have to ask: what's the threading on a 3-year old CSI?
You'll need an English Shimano 109.5, very easy to find. Octalink I'm assuming.

--Anything I'm missing?

Thanks
Nope. Pay attention to the detail adjustments of the front derailleur, get used to the shifting of the left shifter, you're good to go.

schneiderrd
02-06-2005, 03:50 PM
I made the change that you propose on my 1993 CRL Legend. I had tried a 9 speed triple but it never worked right. I went to an FSA compact set up last year and it works great. No problem with the shifters. What you will work fine. I replaced the front DR but I am not sure it was really necessary. I also changed the BB to an FSA for compatability with the cranks that I bought, although I understand that you can get cranks that are Shimano BB compatable. I like the set up but, as mentioned in an earlier post, you have to get used to some double shifts on the rear DR. There is less over lap on the gearing so it is almost like having two different transmissions on your bike. Not a big deal for me. The shifting is great and I have knee saving gearing for the hills. Good luck.

SoCalSteve
02-07-2005, 08:39 AM
Mort,

I have 3 D/A Triples on 3 different bikes, all work perfectly. Before you go changing stuff around, take your bike to a VERY COMPETENT bike mechanic and have him go through it. It should and will work flawlessly for you.

The D/A triple(as noted here many times) requires special adjustments, but once dialed in, works great. I am testament to this.

Good luck,

Steve