PDA

View Full Version : Rode report: Taylor/HED/6700

dave thompson
09-08-2009, 03:06 PM
642 miles. Since July 20th. That should be long enough to form an opinion on how things are. That's why I titled this a 'rode' report as opposed to a 'road' report or 'ride' report, the bike's been ridden long and hard

The Taylor. It's been on the road since July 20th and has done 642 miles. It's been my sole ride, other than one day and 35 miles on the Serotta, since I built it. A terrific bike! First it fits and second it's an all-day comfortable bike. I find myself riding more miles with more smiles on the Taylor than I have on any recent bike that I can remember. It goes fast, turns well, handles far better than I can push it and has inspired more confidence than other bikes I've had. It's been a willing partner no matter where/how/when I've ridden. Paul Taylor was a fun guy to work with and his bike is fun too. Plus it's white!

http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/5181/taylor4u.jpg

HED Bastogne wheels. Until these wheels arrived on my doorstep, I had never, ever spent this much money for a wheelset. Almost half the price of a custom frame fer cryin' out loud! C'mon now, get real. Well whatever they cost me, I think they are the real deal. These have the new C2, 23MM wide rims. I usually run 25MM tires and when they are mounted on the HED C2 rims, they measure an actual 28MM across when inflated. Because of the larger volume of the tires now, it is recommended to run lower pressures than you would when mounted to a 'conventional' rim, so I ran about 7~10 psi less than usual.

Because of the lower tire pressures, the ride is smoother, the sharp bumps and jolts are reduced, the road buzz from the chip seal is greatly muted, still there but not at all intrusive. Also the handling feels more precise, no tire squirm or deflection. The tire sidewall is almost even with the rim and the tire shape is more gentle and doesn't fall off the sides.

I've these wheels on the Taylor for 220 miles and they were a huge improvement over the previous wheelset, which I thought were very good until I tried the HEDs.

http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/7288/hedh.jpg

Ultegra 6700 components. A new bike, new wheels, why not some new components? I bought a 6700 group and installed the shifters, deraillleurs and brakes. I put off using the 6700 crankset, cassette and chain because I was happy with the CarbonLord carbon crankset, IRD 11-30 cassette, a new KMC chain and I wanted to see if these components would play well with the new 6700 stuff and they do. The shifting of the 6700 is quite different than the 6600 and 7800 components that I've had. It's much easier, smoother and I'll call it 'softer'; no hard clicks or bangs. Move the shift paddles and everything else seems to glide into place. Up or down shifts, either on the front or back have the same ease of operation. Using non-6700 cranks, cassette and chain doesn't seem to be a detriment, it all works very well and smoother than with the 7800 components that I had replaced. The 6700 brakes are marvelous, very progressive with great feel and modulation and easy to use from the top of the hoods.

The 6700 shifters are shaped like the Dura Ace 7900 shifters, which is to say that they both more closely resemble Campy and SRAM shifters. Which I don't really care about, I just want something that accommodates me and works well. I use 7800 stuff on my Serotta and using the exact same bars the 6700 shifters increase the reach by about 15MM. Which it turns out, I like. It allows me to stretch out even further but when I'm on top of the bars I'm more upright.

http://img257.imageshack.us/img257/503/67005.jpg

The width of the 6700 shifters is slightly wider where it transitions off the bars and slightly tapers all the way to the knob on top of the shifter. The overall height of the shifters is less so when you ride on top of the shifters you will be slightly lower.

http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/7702/67003.jpg
http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/7527/67002.jpg

One clever thing Shimano has done is to have two different routings of the shifter cable possible; one routing has the shifter cable going on the forward portion of the handlebar and the second routing is to the rear of the bars. In the pic of the right shifter you can see that I ran my shifter cable in the forward position, just above the brake cable. The access for the rear routing is empty.

http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/4407/67001.jpg

With the Taylor, the Hed wheels and running 6700 components I think that I might have the best of all worlds. It's a bike that I really look forward to ride, I want to ride farther and faster, push my envelope and try to achieve new personal bests. The ride has become much more pleasurable and exciting, it makes me want to stretch my horizons.

eddief
09-08-2009, 03:22 PM
sounds like you refound your holly grail after some fits and starts and backs and forths. Sounds like a fine experience. Can't wait for your bro in arms from Socal to join the choir.

Keith A
09-08-2009, 03:24 PM
Thanks for the ride report. Great looking bike and build! I'm glad to hear that everything worked out so well.

dekindy
09-08-2009, 03:49 PM
I just decided. I want to be like Dave!

My neighbor's LBS recommended HED Ardennes for his commuter, a Moots MooTour. I thought they were too expensive for that purpose. However he likes them well and has diverted $10,000 per year from golfing to cycling so he can afford and is still spending less than he was on golfing.

The ride of the Moots is so good he is also going to ride it instead of his Cannondale SuperSix on all day rides where comfort is more important than speed.

jghall
09-08-2009, 03:58 PM
Dave,
As always, very insightful. Glad to see the fire burning again.

SEABREEZE
09-08-2009, 04:04 PM
I see all that Tequila, has not got in the way of this fine report

Enjoy those Mts and your Taylor

Thank you for the review.

Bruce K
09-08-2009, 05:57 PM
Super looking bike Dave.

Glad to hear you are enjoying the HED's.

I love the C2 rim profile and now own 3 sets of Bastognes (Ottrott with a Power Tap rear, Bedford, and Concours Cyclocross bike spare wheel set), and one set of Ardennes (cross bike race wheels).

Enjoy many miles.

BK

Pete Serotta
09-08-2009, 06:03 PM
Wonderful looking bike and thanks for taking the time for pictures and a report. Bruce I think owns stock in HED wheels. When we were in Copper, I was unable to get him to try the R-SYS :)

dave thompson
09-08-2009, 06:19 PM
Super looking bike Dave.

Glad to hear you are enjoying the HED's.

I love the C2 rim profile and now own 3 sets of Bastognes (Ottrott with a Power Tap rear, Bedford, and Concours Cyclocross bike spare wheel set), and one set of Ardennes (cross bike race wheels).

Enjoy many miles.

BK
Bruce:

I should have acknowledged you in my decision to spend such a large (to me) amount of money on a wheelset. Thank you!

Ken Robb
09-08-2009, 07:13 PM
sounds like you refound your holly grail after some fits and starts and backs and forths. Sounds like a fine experience. Can't wait for your bro in arms from Socal to join the choir.

Paul Taylor delivered the f/f to UPS Store on 9/3 and they did not get around to shipping it until late this afternoon. There are millions of people out of work yet these bozos have jobs where they do darn little. I'm supposed to get the box late Thursday. I'll believe it when it's in my hands. :butt:

nahtnoj
09-08-2009, 08:35 PM
Those side-by-side photos of 6700 and 7800 are very instructive. Thanks for posting!

Bruce K
09-08-2009, 08:38 PM
Pete;

I WISH I owned stock in that company.

I just like their stuff and have managed to get freindly with several of the folks out there.

Dave;

No acknowledment needed. I was happy to offer information and I'm glad it worked out.

BK

Climb01742
09-09-2009, 04:58 AM
dave, a great report. the photos really help and are exceptionally well done. loads of very useful info. thanks for taking the time and effort. and may your pleasure only increase.

dekindy
09-09-2009, 07:26 AM
Why did you pick Ultegra 6700?

I personally have always had Ultegra although 105 would serve me well also. Dura-Ace is something that I could never justify.

Ray
09-09-2009, 07:43 AM
Beautiful bike Dave. It LOOKS like a rider. Enjoy the hell out of it!

White is one color I've never had a bike done in. May have to change that someday.

-Ray

sjbraun
09-09-2009, 08:24 AM
Nice looking bike, even better than what I think, nice that you like it so much.

The levers seem to leave a lot of the internals exposed. I wonder if thry'll gunk up quickly.

And how do you keep your bar tape so clean??
I put white Deda tape on my new Look, it looks great, but always gets dirty.

Steve

dave thompson
09-09-2009, 08:38 AM
Nice looking bike, even better than what I think, nice that you like it so much.

The levers seem to leave a lot of the internals exposed. I wonder if thry'll gunk up quickly.

And how do you keep your bar tape so clean??
I put white Deda tape on my new Look, it looks great, but always gets dirty.

Steve
I re-taped the bars after installing the 6700 stuff, re-using the white tape. A little Simple Green on a sponge works very well.

I am waiting for the 'crowning glory', white HandleBra Hurricane water-proof bar tape. (feel the love Ray?)

pjmsj21
09-09-2009, 08:57 AM
Dave

Congratulations on your new bike, it looks beautiful. How would you compare the ride of the Taylor to your Fierte It, taking into account, if you can, wheel differences?

Pat Mc

dave thompson
09-09-2009, 10:27 AM
Very hard to do. The HED wheels make such a huge difference. I can say the Fierte IT is very much an Ottrott at heart, the Ti/carbon combination making the ride calm, easy and it handles like a Serotta, very well. The Taylor is more sporty on purpose, slightly shorter wheelbase and front center, a tad smaller than the Serotta, so a little more racy.

I think I'll be getting a set of HED Bastogne wheels for the Serotta. They're kind of like putting a set of Michelin Pilots on a luxo touring coupe, to bring out the best in it.

dave thompson
09-18-2009, 02:21 PM
I re-taped the bars after installing the 6700 stuff, re-using the white tape. A little Simple Green on a sponge works very well.

I am waiting for the 'crowning glory', white HandleBra Hurricane water-proof bar tape. (feel the love Ray?)
Finally, got the white Hurricane HandleBra wrap. It really is white, almost like a light source! Thanks Ray.

I underwrapped the bars with hockey tape first, to blend the cables and bars more, then wrapped a thin layer of old Fizik micro tex tape I had laying around to provide the thickness I like. The HHB was snugly wrapped, as opposed to tightly as Ray suggested, because I wanted a little 'cushion' in the wrap and I like the grain of the leather. I finished the end with the hockey tape pulled tight and decorated it with 1/2" 3M electrical tape to add a little color to a monochromatic color scheme.

HandleBra is really very good stuff. Extremely high-quality, easy to use and in my experience lasts a long time.

http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/2447/hhb51.jpg

http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/258/hhb21.jpg

znfdl
09-18-2009, 05:45 PM
Dave:

Beatiful bike.

Question on the handlebra. Is it somewhat dirt resistant and can it be washed?

Thanks.

dave thompson
09-18-2009, 06:02 PM
Dave:

Beatiful bike.

Thanks.
Don't know yet, I just did this yesterday. Ray says the leather is specifically designed/treated for "high traffic areas". I have a rainy two-day ride this weekend, maybe then I can have a better feel for what it's going to do.

dave thompson
01-12-2011, 12:22 PM
Dave:

Beatiful bike.

Thanks.
More than a year and a couple of thousand mile later.....my experience with white Hurricane HandleBra is terrific. Sheds dirt and water like a ducks back. Cleans up with a damp rag then 303 Protectant easily. Stays dazzlingly white. Absolutely first rate!

Liberace
01-12-2011, 12:25 PM
Do you still own the Taylor? If so, are your impressions the same or different now?

dave thompson
01-12-2011, 12:33 PM
Do you still own the Taylor? If so, are your impressions the same or different now?
I do. It's hanging on the wall with the Meivici.

My impressions and feelings about the Taylor are the same as I've posted earlier, it's been a very fun bike to ride. I bought and sold bikes all around the Taylor and it's still with me which speaks to how well it suits me.

I even ordered a set of new C-4 wheels with their V-22 rims, which are 22MM wide, in white, to match the Taylor.

Now all I have to do is wait for the snow to melt or maybe I rent a bedroom at Dan LeFoot's house. He lives in the Sunny Sandy Eggo area.

dave thompson
03-20-2011, 11:18 AM
Installed the C-4 wheels, I think I could hide the bike from a Polar Bear! The snow has finally melted here but still a bit cold and wet. Snuck in about 75 miles this month so far, nowhere near enough on this beauty.

http://img822.imageshack.us/img822/6959/snobike11.jpg

eddief
03-20-2011, 11:37 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EytnZwiznoMRight Said Fred

I'm Too Sexy
Right Said Fred

I'm too sexy for my love too sexy for my love
Love's going to leave me

I'm too sexy for my shirt too sexy for my shirt
So sexy it hurts
And I'm too sexy for Milan too sexy for Milan
New York and Japan

And I'm too sexy for your party
Too sexy for your party
No way I'm disco dancing

I'm a model you know what I mean
And I do my little turn on the catwalk
Yeah on the catwalk on the catwalk yeah
I do my little turn on the catwalk

I'm too sexy for my car too sexy for my car
Too sexy by far
And I'm too sexy for my hat
Too sexy for my hat what do you think about that

I'm a model you know what I mean
I shake my little touche on the catwalk

I'm too sexy for my too sexy for my too sexy for my

'Cos I'm a model you know what I mean
I shake my little touche on the catwalk

I'm too sexy for my cat too sexy for my cat
Poor pussy poor pussy cat
I'm too sexy for my love too sexy for my love
Love's going to leave me

And I'm too sexy for this song

SEABREEZE
03-20-2011, 12:45 PM
The white taylor with the white HED wheels is looking really good.

Couple questions, did you have the Hed on the Ottrott , if not, do you think you would have had the same opionion of the Ottrot as the Taylor with regards to ride quality. I think you mentioned the taylor had a little shorter wheel base, making it feel more sporty, raceier that the ottrott.

My other question is how does it compare to the meivici, and do you have HED's on it