PDA

View Full Version : test ride on compact cranks

Ken Robb
02-06-2005, 02:23 PM
I did about 40 miles after replacing my DA 10 speed 53/39 set with FSA 50-34. I like it. I get a much lower low and give up nothing I need at the top end. 50-12 is plenty for me.
As some of you said there is a big jump when shifting chain rings and I often do a two-gear shift on the cassette when I shift the front to minimize the gap. It's easy to do and it quickly becomes second nature.
The shifting is crisp front and rear with the DA 10spd. derailers.
It is not sensitive at all to cross-chaining so all 10 cogs are useable in either ring. This may be due to the Legend's moderately long chainstays at 41.5cm.

Bottom line: If you don't need anything lower than 39-27 the DA 10spd is a dream.
If you want lower lows without giving up much on top and the idea of a triple is unappealing the 50-34 is a good compromise.

eddief
02-06-2005, 03:28 PM
Ken,

That is exactly my experience. Just a couple of quick flicks in the rear and your ready to go after a front shift.

I am wondering about this combo with a downtube shifter bike I am ready to build. Will I be able to get to the shifters fast enough to make the front ring transitioons smooth??

victoryfactory
02-06-2005, 03:57 PM
Ken;

We told ya!

Good luck, now you need black brake calipers, rims, fork , post, etc
to match your new cranks.

VF, the bottle cages and Mavic calipers are on order!

http://www.victoryfactory.com/atlanta_in_trainer.jpg