PDA

View Full Version : What a great day-Honeypot Hill

beungood
09-07-2009, 09:33 PM
I took some comp time today and decided to ride a CRW ride in Sundbury that started at the Honeypot Hill Orchards. The owners are cyclists and let CRW use the large field to park and then cook hotdogs , Donuts and Apples for after the ride. After a GPS problem I arrived with some stragglers after the start.

It felt a little cool and I was hoping I wouldnt be too chilly, but the climb out of there took care of that. The area has some brutal hill climbs mixed in with nice views mixed in that make it worth the trip.

As I took a turn I saw a cyclist on the side of the road with a flat who couldnt seem to air it up. After a loan of one of my Co2 cartidges we were on our way. It was good to have some company and we were sonn joined by a lady on a Surly (I like that name) the 3 of us had a good 20 minutes together before we each went seperate routes (ride had short medium and Long).

I soon came to a fork and was trying to find the arrows as I sweated through my next cue. Then an older rider on Serotta CDA pulled up along side me. We chatted a bit and he pointed out where I needed to go. He then asked if he could join me. We took off following the arrows.

He was 65 years old and told me he had Some issues A-Fib or something liked to work hard and put in some mileage. He was a former Wheelworks employee. He then asked if I would mind a few tips, I said sure. He then said he would hang with me on part of my route for extra mileage. Through all the hard big climbs we chatted and he coached every now and then.

I can't beleive how great of a cycling day you can have . I met alot of cool people today and also learned quite a bit. I hope I'm cycling like Hank when I am in my 60's!

William
09-08-2009, 04:06 AM
I took some comp time today and decided to ride a CRW ride in Sundbury that started at the Honeypot Hill Orchards. The owners are cyclists and let CRW use the large field to park and then cook hotdogs , Donuts and Apples for after the ride. After a PGS problem I arrived with some stragglers after the start.

It felt a little cool and I was hoping I wouldnt be too chilly, but the climb out of there took care of that. The area has some brutal hill climbs mixed in with nice views mixed in that make it worth the trip.

As I took a turn I saw a cyclist on the side of the road with a flat who couldnt seem to air it up. After a loan of one of my Co2 cartidges we were on our way. It was good to have some company and we were sonn joined by a lady on a Surly (I like that name) the 3 of us had a good 20 minutes together before we each went seperate routes (ride had short medium and Long).

I soon came to a fork and was trying to find the arrows as I sweated through my next cue. Then an older rider on Serotta CDA pulled up along side me. We chatted a bit and he pointed out where I needed to go. He then asked if he could join me. We took off following the arrows.

He was 65 years old and told me he had Some issues A-Fib or something liked to work hard and put in some mileage. He was a former Wheelworks employee. He then asked if I would mind a few tips, I said sure. He then said he would hang with me on part of my route for extra mileage. Through all the hard big climbs we chatted and he coached every now and then.

I can't beleive how great of a cycling day you can have . I met alot of cool people today and also learned quite a bit. I hope I'm cycling like Hank when I am in my 60's!

Hey bro,

Sorry I didn't get back to you over the weekend but we were traveling around NE seeing the sites and doing different activities with our children. You called just as we were descending into the Battleship U.S.S. Massachusetts. Sounds like you had a great ride. Did you take the Hors or the Spectrum with you?

Talk to you soon bro, stay safe,
William

beungood
09-09-2009, 02:30 PM
Hey Big guy no biggy, I figured that tour of the ship would take quite awhile! I took the Hors on the Hill Ride. It was as you said, I don't want to ride anything else and it drew a crowd after the ride..

MattTuck
09-09-2009, 02:38 PM
do you have a link to the route? sounds like a great day.

Oh the joys of being a cyclist!

beungood
09-09-2009, 03:01 PM
I think I can find it,otherwise I still have the cue sheet for the medium ride which was 43 miles.

Hawker
09-09-2009, 03:11 PM
Beungood,

Sweet ride, nice report...thanks!