PDA

View Full Version : cracked fork

kbwheels
09-06-2009, 07:48 PM
I was riding my all steel frame and fork bike the last couple of days and started hearing a creaking noise whenever I stood up. First thought was handlebar and stem. Checked and they seemed tight no problems seen. Next I thought it was the bottom bracket no signs of problems there. Now this frame and fork was built by a highly reguarded builder. So I check the fork and notice the left side has a large crack at the weld joint. I pushed the drop outs together and the left side of the fork almost completely seperates at the weld joint. On closer inspection I notice the right side weld also has a small crack but does not appeat loose. I have a friend who also has bike from this builder and he had the same issue. Both forks are steel and unicrown. I have not contacted the builder yet but will on tuesday. My question is this is this a uncommon problem or have people had this happen on a regular basis? I have been riding for over 20 years. Started when everyone rode all steel frame and forks and I dont recall this being a problem. This frame and fork are only 5 years old and has never been crashed. It has been raced and ridden about 3000 to 5000 miles a year. Another question is do I have a new steel fork built or do I go with a carbon fork? Will say the steel fork did not have a catastophic failure.

Peter P.
09-07-2009, 05:35 AM
Failures can happen anywhere on a frame, though it's usually at a joint. I'm not sure whether you're asking about failure at that specific joint or anywhere on a frame, but that's the first I've seen at that particular location. I've had steel frames crack at many various joints-rear dropouts, seat tubes, fork crowns, downtubes, and seat stays to name a few, and as you've discovered, their failure mode is usually very slow, giving you plenty of early warning. As long as you pay attention and start hunting down that creaking or funny handling issue, you'll most likely find the failure before it leads to injury. That's been my experience.

As for replacing it, see if the builder is going to cover the fork under warranty. That's the cheapest route. If not, then whether you go steel or carbon for a replacement is up to you. For a steel unicrown fork, I have an Independent Fabrications No-Travel fork and it's been fine for 7 years.

William
09-08-2009, 05:48 AM
+1

I'm glad you caught it before it let go. I haven't seen anything in that specific location before but interesting that it falls on the weld. The only thing that raises an eye brow for me is that you say you know of another person with a crack in the same place from the same builder. A quick search gives me an idea of where you got it. I would contact them and see what they say/do. Do you know how this other person with the fork issue was handled?

Steel or carbon fiber? I'm partial to steel, but as you've shown, issues can pop up with any material.

Again, glad you caught it before it let go, and hopefully your builder will take care of you.

William

kbwheels
09-09-2009, 04:46 PM
quick note my builder saw my post and sent me a PM before I even contacted him. I did not post this to call him out but just to ellicit opinions from the forum members. The builder explained the problems and offered to build me a new steel fork or give me credit towards a carbon fork. I went with the new steel fork and am going to repaint the frame as well. The builder is a great guy and does awesome work and is great to work with. Can't wait to get the bike back and built up.

Peter P.
09-09-2009, 06:33 PM
I think you should "out" the builder. Any builder that stands behind their product should NOT remain a secret! Good on 'em, I say!

Whether you choose to out them or not, I'm curious as to their explanation of the fork failure.

BumbleBeeDave
09-09-2009, 07:16 PM
. . . Whether you choose to out them or not, I'm curious as to their explanation of the fork failure.

. . . that problems happen sooner or later with product from any builder. It's a bit much to ask, IMHO, that any builder puts together hundreds of frames and never has ANY mistakes. Shi-, er, "stuff" happens.

But I agree with you--kudos to the builder for keeping an eye out and being so on top of the problem.

BBD

Acotts
09-09-2009, 08:56 PM
Talk about customer service.

Im glad this is workking out so well. Good on you. And the builder will Karma points. Stuff happens, its how you deal with it that counts.

P.S.- Go nuts on the paint.

Cheers,
-A

kbwheels
09-09-2009, 10:14 PM
Carl Strong is who built the frame and fork and he was and has been great to work with. Like I said before he saw the tread and contacted me before I got a hold of him. Carl said he has had a few forks break all from a batch of fork blades he recieved from a supplier. He thought the problem arose from a double heating process. Brass was used to weld the steerer after and the high heat to melt the brass weakened the weld of the fork blades. Carl now uses silver on steerer becauses it requires lower heat. Sending the fork back to Carl so he can send it back to his supplier. Again, Carl has been super about all this and I hope to work with him again in the furture.

William
09-10-2009, 05:35 AM
It's cool to hear that Mr. Strong is jumping in to take care of the issue. I figured out who the builder was but didn't want to say anything until the issue played out. Good on him. :cool:

William

Peter P.
09-10-2009, 08:24 PM
Thanks for outing Carl Strong. It's information like this that solidifies my desire to have my next frame built by him.

David Kirk
09-10-2009, 09:38 PM
Carl is the **** and if I were sending anyone a check for a tig bike he'd be the one.

dave

soulspinner
09-11-2009, 06:37 AM
Know Ive said this before but Ive got a 24000 mile Columbus foco frame and every tube is built because of my needs etc. I rode a Madone from my shop and concluded it doesnt ride any better than my lightweight steel frame. I have another foco from another custom builder that doesnt ride the same. Some people are just great at what they do. Carl is one of them.

Vancouverdave
09-11-2009, 09:49 AM
It's close to unheard of for a TIG weld to fail--you're probably protected from lightning strikes for awhile statistically speaking.