PDA

View Full Version : Custom Builder Short List

the walrus
02-05-2005, 05:07 PM
Who is on your list of the best contemporary custom bicycle builders living and working today?

Any material.

List your criteria as well.

Serotta PETE
02-05-2005, 05:11 PM
Kelly from Serotta, Richard Sachs, JP Weigle, Tom Kellog,

jerk
02-05-2005, 05:33 PM
richard sachs.....because he gets it.
andy walser.....because he gets it.
dario pegoretti.......because he gets it.
kelly bedford........because he gets it.

in no particular order.......the jerk likes cpg and david kirk's work too but he's only seen pictures and never ridden either builder's bike so he can't really say....the jerk has ridden bikes designed and built by all four of the above guys....owned bikes designed and built by two of the above four guys, waiting for new bikes yet to arrive designed and built by two of the above four guys and has competed on bikes built by two of the above four guys. so the jerk can with confidence say they are the best. well, the best builders the jerk has direct experience with anyway.

the jerk is sticking to builders who actually "build". not that there is anything wrong with those great bike guys who's happiest day of their life was when they finally got big enough to have someone else do the grunt work......but you were asking for builders so that's why the ernesto colnagos and the pinarellos and the de rosas and the merckxs of the world were excluded on the jerk's list, although he's confident they get it too.

dave thompson
02-05-2005, 05:36 PM
Serotta of course, because they do it right. Dave Kirk because of his formidable bicycling background, inventive mind, attention to detail, and willingness to try something different: Terraplane seat stays and unusual customer requests ala 'Hello Kitty' for DBRK's wife.

I'm sure there are more, but I have personal experience with the above.

e-RICHIE
02-05-2005, 06:22 PM
on a certain links page of a website that i won't mention is
a culled list of builders called "Next Wave". according to the
list, these guys are it.

e-RICHIE
02-05-2005, 06:24 PM
oh, and to answer the op's question:
NAGASAWA

coylifut
02-05-2005, 07:44 PM
Sacha White (he races naked, I was there). I'd like a training bike with disk brakes. I'm tired of going through rim sidewalls.
ERICIE (he races clothed, I was there, but I won't hold it against him). For a cross bike.
Tom Kellog for a track bike
Nagasawa for a track bike

Climb01742
02-05-2005, 07:51 PM
oh, and to answer the op's question:
NAGASAWA

richie, could you speak up, i can't hear you.

weisan
02-05-2005, 08:20 PM
I wonder about this guy...Antonio Mondonico. Anybody know much about him?

Peter
02-05-2005, 08:53 PM
Edit: I naively assumed you were in the market for a frame and this is clearly wrong because you mention nothing of the sort in your post. I will nevertheless leave my post as is just in case. My apologies.

I don't want to sound hostile, but if you have to ask this question then you're probably not experienced/knowledgeable enough to a: measure yourself properly and/or b: adequately quantify what it is you want in an custom frame. There are too many of us technogeeks out there who THINK we know how to measure for a bike or design a frame but are really fooling ourselves. Sometimes it pays to let the experts do their thing.

This is not said to berate or belittle you, but as a justifier to recommend you thus stick with a builder who is in proximity to you. A personal visit/contact would go A LONG WAY in ensuring you get the frame you want. In your case, e-mail and phone calls won't cut it.

Since you're from Boston, I'd recommend Peter Mooney in a heartbeat. His frames are understated in their finish, he's been around forever, and I've never heard a nasty word about the guy.

http://www.peter-mooney.com/index.htm

A trip to the Independent Fabrications shop in Sommerville would probably have you sold on their frames, though you'd have to visit a local dealer to order one. Very contemporary in their finish, and very affordable. Admittedly, since they're "close to home" you've probably seen a bunch on the road so IFs might not have the cachet you desire.

http://www.ifbikes.com/

Venture into Connecticut, and a visit to Richard Sach's shop would probably be like free samples from a drug dealer-one exposure and you're hooked. I'll bet you'll open your wallet before you open the door to leave. Just be prepared to wait a long time for your frame.

http://www.richardsachs.com/

Peter Weigle would be the other stop; might as well visit both CT framebuilders in the same day while you're down here as they're only about 10 miles apart. Here's a guy who's uber successful and doesn't even have a web site! I've had him do repair work on five frames I've owned; he's just a VERY pleasant person to deal with.

J.P. Weigle Cycles
313 Hamburg Rd.
Lyme CT 06371
860-434-0700

http://www.bikelugs.com/pacentigallery/weigle01_gallery/index.html

gasman
02-05-2005, 09:59 PM
I won't speak for the Walrus but I thought he was asking just to get an interesting thread started.I think he knows plenty about bikes.
I have learned about a lot of good builders from this forum that I had no idea existed a year ago.
I really enjoy hearing what others think and thank the Walrus for an interesting thread.

coylifut
02-05-2005, 11:05 PM
This is not said to berate or belittle you, but as a justifier to recommend you thus stick with a builder who is in proximity to you.

Peter. FYI. Sometimes we get bored and talk about bikes late on a Friday night. Assume everyone knows just as much yourself if not more and no one will be belittled.

BumbleBeeDave
02-05-2005, 11:35 PM
. . . to the Walrus’ question . . .

What portion of the approach of those guys who “get it” is about the actual building and what portion is about the way they approach making their customers happy?

I bought my Legend originally because of the fit and finish, but now after getting into the community of the builder’s customers and actually meeting the builder, I would buy another bike from him in a heartbeat just because he is a nice guy and obviously values my satsifaction with his product as much as he understands cycling technology.

After meeting Dave Kirk and listening him talk about bikebuilding, I would also buy a bike from him in a heartbeat because he obviously “gets it” from both sides. Uh, well, maybe that’s not EXACTLY the best way to say that, but you know what I mean. ;)

BBDave

vaxn8r
02-06-2005, 02:28 AM
Aside from Serotta of course, I'd have to put Tom Kellog up there pretty high, and I'm a west coast guy.

Out here, some are Rolland Della Santa, Bill Davidson, Brent Steelman, Sacha White, Land Shark and of course Craig Calfee.

round
02-06-2005, 05:05 AM
Tiziano Zullo
Vittorio Malagnini
Riccardo Sachs
Nagasawa
Joachim Noll
Irio Tommasini
Vanilla
Tom Kellogg
Kevin Christian
Dave Kirk
Doriano De Rosa

Climb01742
02-06-2005, 06:25 AM
to add another, a guy who i had a long wonderful talk with, and who really seems to know his stuff, is don ferris of anvil. his frames strike me as being, well, striking.

in keeping with the "long wonderful talk/knows his stuff" i'd second these guys others have mentioned: kelly, richie, peter mooney, david kirk and the gang at IF. and in the "long wonderful e-mails/knows his stuff" i'd list a category of one: dario.

this just hit me: are there any female frame builders out there? i've never heard of one. kinda unusual, no?

Climb01742
02-06-2005, 06:34 AM
Tiziano Zullo
Vittorio Malagnini
Riccardo Sachs
Nagasawa
Joachim Noll
Irio Tommasini
Vanilla
Tom Kellogg
Kevin Christian
Dave Kirk
Doriano De Rosa

well, hello, round. how are you? a very cool list, though i'm going to have to research some of those names. i'm counting the days until the arrival of "the black beauty". best wishes and take care! ciao!

ps: to anyone who loves bikes, i'd note this list.

the walrus
02-06-2005, 07:46 AM
I won't speak for the Walrus but I thought he was asking just to get an interesting thread started.I think he knows plenty about bikes.
I have learned about a lot of good builders from this forum that I had no idea existed a year ago.
I really enjoy hearing what others think and thank the Walrus for an interesting thread.

The above is my defense.

Also, I started this thread because, though I am familiar with many of the names so far, I am looking for this elusive "something", I guess a kind of naive enthusiasm for all bicycles hand built, that I had when I started riding my first road bike, or later started working in that first bike shop. I can still remember when the head mechanic let me build up that first Richey P23. I still, some 15 years later, talk about that feeling. It made me feel like an integral part of the "bicycle" experience then and it still does.

But something got lost along the way that I am trying to recapture. There were bikes; Merlin, Fat Chance, Ibis, Richey, DeRosa, Merckx, Pinarello, Colnago, that really "meant" something to me, though it is very hard to describe what "meant" means. I guess a part of it is when I see someone who is expressing something unique, or expressing their "self" through what they make, or fully expressing the purpose for which they were made. A recent example of this was when e-richy posted pictures of his new Nagasawa, then later on another thread saying that he thinks that Parlee is one of the carbon builders that makes a bike that looks like it should (not an exact quote! Don't hurt me!) Both of these bikes seem to follow his design principles, i.e. they look like he built them, and they look trim, beautiful and fast.

So I ask, who are these people, and what are your criteria for choosing them. One of my personal favorites right now is Jeff Jones. Why? Because no one in his/her right mind would want a non-suspended ti singlespeed mtb with wierd handle bars and a triple top tube. I am obviously not in my right mind.

:beer:

amg
02-06-2005, 08:18 PM
My short (actually not so short) list:

Richard Sachs
Peter Weigle
Tom Kellogg
Roland Della Santa
Chris Kvale
David Kirk
Dario Pegoretti
Tommasini
Peter Mooney

Antonio :beer:

Carlo
02-06-2005, 09:47 PM
Based on frames I've actually ridden, or seen in person (in no particular order):

*Richard Sachs - a buddy rode one built in the 1970's from Front Royal, VA to New Orleans on the original Campy Nuovo Record group two years ago!
*Brian Baylis
*Marinoni
*Mike Barry of Mariposa
*Modonico (I've got a 1996 Masi 3V built by their shop -- its now a fixie).
*Curt Goodrich (Rivendell builder presently and while with "match", who built my Riv A/R.
*Tom Kellog of Spectrum
*Whoever built my Serotta CSI because its the sweetest riding "go-fast" bike I've ever owned!!!!!
*Bilenky of Philadelphia - builds some rather eccentric tandems but has some very fine filet brazed road cycles that are just beautiful -- even without lugs!

Regards,

Carlo
"Mardi Gras Mambo down in New Orleans"

bags27
02-07-2005, 12:14 AM
Well, we just won our 3rd superbowl in 4 years, so I'm not going to sleep yet!

I think Peter, despite perhaps using a bit overbearing tone, really did answer the question appropriately. Within driving distance of Boston (six or seven hours, if you want to stretch it, as I did, to visit Tom Kellogg) are some of the best builders in the world. What other criterion is more important than being able to spend time face-to-face with the builder, feel as if you're both absolutely on the same page, appreciate his (sorry: they all seem to be "he's") commitment to your project, and be fitted by him--the person who's going to be responsible for the final product and his professional reputation? I keep saying this (and I recognize that being so inexperienced, I probably don't have the right to sound so dogmatic), but I really believe that most good builders can build most "kinds" of bikes to within acceptable tolerances for almost all riders. The difference in enjoyment for most of us (besides personal fitting, if that's a necessary consideration--is for me; not for many others) is the personal contact and emotional investment between buyer and builder.

So, okay, you're not asking for advice for yourself, but rather just a debate (like the NBA all time team kind of thing). I still think locale is for most of us an essential factor. The best builder is the guy (yeah, sorry again) who builds the best bike for you. And I can't begin to tell you how much pleasure I get not only from riding a Spectrum but from it having resulted from spending many hours with Tom Kellogg.

lnomalley
02-07-2005, 09:35 AM
Bill Holland
Bob Parlee

*no one here ever talks about Bill Holland ti bikes... just him and you and a measuring tape. Ti, Ti/carbon.. no problem... oh you want a built bike to weight less than ten pounds.. ok
(see picture borrowed from mountain bike review interbike coverage. i have no idea who is in the picture.. but it is ti/carbon). he's worth mentioning for sure.

darylb
02-07-2005, 09:55 AM
I dont disagree that being able to visit the builder in person would make for a better overall experience. Better end product? I dont know. Personally, I would love to visit a builder and have him (or her) build a bike but I have yet to see a South Florida builder listed on this or any other forum.

Anyone know of any?

e-RICHIE
02-07-2005, 10:14 AM
Bags27-issimo wrote (snipped):
"I can't begin to tell you how much pleasure I get not only from riding a Spectrum but from it having resulted from spending many hours with Tom Kellogg."

(if this is borderline off-limits, don't reply...)
how are these "...many hours" rectified when the
metaphorical bill is paid? does the frame price
include these? are these "off-duty" hours? i
often wonder how this non-workbench stuff
is charged for.
e-RICHIE

Serotta PETE
02-07-2005, 10:25 AM
:beer: :beer: plenty of red wine and suds, resolve all (at least till the next morning)

P

sspielman
02-08-2005, 08:35 AM
It is pretty tough for me to give a top list of custom builders because the nature of the business is specialization. Luckily for those of us who are consumers at this end of the market, there are alot of choices.
Another name that should probably be thrown into the mix is Francis Quillon of Cyfac. He manages to combine alot of what makes a proper bike.....

Climb01742
02-08-2005, 08:43 AM
Bags27-issimo wrote (snipped):
"I can't begin to tell you how much pleasure I get not only from riding a Spectrum but from it having resulted from spending many hours with Tom Kellogg."

(if this is borderline off-limits, don't reply...)
how are these "...many hours" rectified when the
metaphorical bill is paid? does the frame price
include these? are these "off-duty" hours? i
often wonder how this non-workbench stuff
is charged for.
e-RICHIE

i'm curious what you mean, richie. certainly you "spend" a fair amount of time shooting the e-mail sh*t with your many friends, customers, fellow lunatics. speaking for myself, it's part of the enjoyable experience of (someday) owning a sachs. maybe tom just does it in personal. and kelly does it over the phone, as does david kirk, at least in my experience. this "personal" interaction -- whatever the mdeium -- adds to the custom experience. so how do you think of your e-mail activities? on-duty or off-duty? ;)

e-RICHIE
02-08-2005, 08:54 AM
yeah what you said

bags27
02-08-2005, 09:11 AM
e-RICHIE,

I agree with Climb. I think it's a "quality of life and love for the profession"--not factored into the price per se, but discovered as an unintended consequence, the best thing about one's craft. My wife and I are both teachers, and we rarely turn down a student (or a member of the "public") for any kind of extramural contact. Doing so would define us precisely as working for hire and make us less effective at what we do. (Of course, we are both at private institutions and don't have the union issues or the press of very large classes that haunt public school teachers.) How do you calculate all the time you devote to your blog, your contributions to various websites, your availability (I seem to remember from your website a woman who travels long distances to visit you to order her bikes, when, by that point, she doesn't need to, since you have her fit down cold)? The human touch helps turn a task into an art. By choosing to work for yourself and by yourself and essentially forcing yourself to be your own frontman, you are committed to that engagement. But hey, if want to charge for it, charge Campy Record type-prices for the ad-on consult: you'd be well worth it!

e-RICHIE
02-08-2005, 09:20 AM
i don't seperate "work" from "life"; i feel blessed that i enjoy
the job i have. the blog, the racing, the picture sites, the off-
hours emails with climb, cranky, amg, cpg, and the countless
others, plus the other forums, etcetera - these are all part
of "it all". it's what gives me pleasure and keeps the creative
juices juicy.

otoh, my question was more about the "...many hours" that
were mentioned earlier. extracurricular stuff notwithstanding,
i got the impression that you (was it you?) spent many hours
in tom's shop on the way to having a frame made.

i confused the "...many hours" in the shop with the many
hours you may have spent off site cultivating the relationship.
i thought you meant the former...

Climb01742
02-08-2005, 09:25 AM
hey richie, any reason you haven't commented on the round vs shaped tubing thread? SURELY you must have an opinion...come on, man, share.... ;)

e-RICHIE
02-08-2005, 09:28 AM
round is better
oval looks cooler

Too Tall
02-08-2005, 10:27 AM
Err, back to the topic:
Fat Chance
Clark Kent
Serotta
CoMotion
Pegoretti (valentine's present for the world's finest wife)

I can only speak to what I ridezzz. However, I'd ride a bike with Tom anyday and think he'd be WAY up there if I ever need a steel track bike.

e-RICHIE
02-08-2005, 10:31 AM
re the original post:
"contemporary custom bicycle builders living and working today..."

i think your first two guys have vaporized.

Bruce K
02-08-2005, 10:44 AM
I'm glad someone mentioned Bob Parlee in all of this.

IMO he fits the bill in his chosen material (carbon).

I continuosly drool over e-richie's and Dave Kirk's bikes.

I haven't had the pleasure of seeing too many of the others close enough to get a good appreciation.

BK

bags27
02-08-2005, 10:50 AM
e-Richie, I'm not sure we're saying different things (or maybe I'm too dense to understand the distinction). The hours that any builder allows a customer (and eventually body language or something more explicit may have to be used to shoo us out of there so you can get to work) is part of "work" and "life," so that a Richard Sachs bike is not just a great frame, it's a great frame made by Richard Sachs. Put crassly, the time spent with others pays off commerically in the long run--in supply and demand. Put idealistically, it reaffirms one's life values.

e-RICHIE
02-08-2005, 11:13 AM
bags27-issimo
i can and will "give you the world" in the months and years leading
up to an order. i don't think it's the same as spending the "many
hours" with me here on the day of an appointment. as i said or
meant to say, it's hard to seperate it all...

csb
02-08-2005, 05:11 PM
no-links-richie is oh say 5'9"
+
kellogg a strong 5'7"

e-RICHIE
02-08-2005, 05:16 PM
www.huh?.com

slowgoing
02-08-2005, 05:24 PM
What do you want shorts from a builder for?

Maybe I don't wanna know.

csb
02-08-2005, 05:25 PM
www.touche!.com

vandeda
02-08-2005, 05:42 PM
+
kellogg a strong 5'7"

errrrrr .... huh?
Dan

Too Tall
02-08-2005, 05:49 PM
Pocket-Kellog(tm) "Finding drafts in all the wrong places".

Well, to be perfectly silly the first two guys are infact working...OK they are sweeping floors and delivering pizzas and in witness protection but they are working ;)

So, I'll substitute um something I've admired and not ridden. *Flyguy and Keno AT EASE you lech's Aaaat ease.

A.N.T.
Yamaguchi

Matt Barkley
02-08-2005, 06:21 PM
TT - I've admired and been lucky enough to race a Yamaguchi. Sweet.

I'd add ALberto Eisentraut among others to my list. :beer: - Matt

flydhest
02-09-2005, 07:42 AM
Pocket-Kellog(tm) "Finding drafts in all the wrong places".

Well, to be perfectly silly the first two guys are infact working...OK they are sweeping floors and delivering pizzas and in witness protection but they are working ;)

So, I'll substitute um something I've admired and not ridden. *Flyguy and Keno AT EASE you lech's Aaaat ease.

A.N.T.
Yamaguchi

You mean Kristy? She's cute. Admired but not ridden.

The Dominatrix
02-09-2005, 07:49 AM
This is an interesting thread. So many builders, relatively obscure ones at that. Is this a list of "great builders I've read about and think are great", or "great builders whose work I've seen first hand and have ridden"?

Dr. Doofus
02-09-2005, 07:56 AM
Tullio Playdo

he does amzing thing with tube shaping and geometry

BBs are really soft, though

Too Tall
02-09-2005, 08:19 AM
Yah couldn't keep it in your pants could you :rolleyes: Now would Matt race Kristi???? It's a bike yah silly man. He makes really good stationary bikes too.

gray8110
02-09-2005, 08:28 AM
Two Local gods first:
John Slawta (Land Shark)
Mike DeSalvo (DeSalvo Cycles)

Then I'll throw in:
Bob Parlee 'cuz I love my Z1x
Richard Sachs
Brent Steelman

There are many many more but those are the ones that I can think of at 6:30am.

tigersnkoi
02-01-2006, 03:25 PM
Okay, I am a 44 year old male who would like to start riding again, nothing fast, just recreational/weight reducing. In the eighties I owned a Medici and in the mid 1990s I purchased a new Holland from a bike shop employee who sold it to me at his cost. Unfortunately, I didn't know who Holland was at the time, I just appreciated how well put together the bike was. I wish now that I had held on to it.
This brings me to today, my birthday. I love the look of chrome chain stays and stainless steel lugs (old school). I figure as long as I use carbon wheels, fork and seat post, I may be able to get the weight down around 17 or 18 pounds, which will be fine, for me. My question is this: Should I go with a top AMERICAN designer/fabricator like Sachs, Bayliss or Kirk, or would a Colnago, De Rosa or Pinarello be the way to go? Who builds the better bike? Which has the better details, paint and most of all, ride quality? Is it better to also go with the carbon chain stays? :confused:

Please help.

e-RICHIE
02-01-2006, 03:28 PM
serotta

William
02-01-2006, 03:59 PM
Zanconato. :cool:

William

zeroking17
02-01-2006, 04:00 PM
+
kellogg a strong 5'7"

A "short" list of builders.

P.S. c'est douloureux fou, frčre*

*That's french for either "mp, bro" or "syntax counts."

PeterW
02-01-2006, 04:10 PM
Yamaguchi

Too Tall, fellow B-CC grad, tell me everything you know about Yamaguchi. I'd love to know more. I just dig his modern, but now old-school, look. The black and yellow. The shaped steel tubes.

When the early 90s are distant enough, his stuff will have retro-chic!

Anyone ride one? Especially a recent version? Do tell!

Grant McLean
02-01-2006, 05:49 PM
round is better
oval looks cooler

don't you have oval bars on yer bike?

he he

-g

e-RICHIE
02-01-2006, 05:51 PM
don't you have oval bars on yer bike?

he he

-g

yes -and, as of two days ago, all sizes and drops are in stock.

scrooge
02-01-2006, 06:02 PM
Okay, I am a 44 year old male who would like to start riding again, nothing fast, just recreational/weight reducing. In the eighties I owned a Medici and in the mid 1990s I purchased a new Holland from a bike shop employee who sold it to me at his cost. Unfortunately, I didn't know who Holland was at the time, I just appreciated how well put together the bike was. I wish now that I had held on to it.
This brings me to today, my birthday. I love the look of chrome chain stays and stainless steel lugs (old school). I figure as long as I use carbon wheels, fork and seat post, I may be able to get the weight down around 17 or 18 pounds, which will be fine, for me. My question is this: Should I go with a top AMERICAN designer/fabricator like Sachs, Bayliss or Kirk, or would a Colnago, De Rosa or Pinarello be the way to go? Who builds the better bike? Which has the better details, paint and most of all, ride quality? Is it better to also go with the carbon chain stays? :confused:
Please help.

Okay, not trying to be rude and don't take my word for it because I don't know anything. But if you're going to get an "old school" bike with lots of chrome and stainless lugs etc, don't put silly carbon parts on it. For recreational riding, you're not going to gain anything from the little weight you save.
Oh, and get a bike you like. None of them are really that good anyway.* Some will have a longer wait then others (like three years). And do you know enough about your riding style, fit, what you want etc to spend that much coin on a custom?
Oh, and get a good fit....and do what e-richie says.

*that was a joke. They're all good.

YO!!!
02-01-2006, 06:26 PM
In no particular order:

Chris Kvale = Classic designs with beautifully thinned lug work.

Darrell McCulloch {Llewellyn} = Classic designs with wonderfully artistic lug detailing.

J.P.Weigle = Constuctuer craftsman par excellence.

Nagasawa = Classic designs executed to the highest standards.

richard sachs = because...he's da man

tigersnkoi
02-02-2006, 04:01 PM
Thank you for enlightening me on some of the finer points. Not sure if I agree with not using carbon forks and a seat post, but I have come to one conclusion.....
I think I will either wait the 3 years for a Sachs or give Mr. Bayliss a call and see what his turn around time is.
Also, I appreciate the feedback from everyone. :beer: In the mean-time, I will keep riding the trail-bike (specialized).

jerk
02-02-2006, 04:08 PM
Thank you for enlightening me on some of the finer points. Not sure if I agree with not using carbon forks and a seat post, but I have come to one conclusion.....
I think I will either wait the 3 years for a Sachs or give Mr. Bayliss a call and see what his turn around time is.
Also, I appreciate the feedback from everyone. :beer: In the mean-time, I will keep riding the trail-bike (specialized).

bayliss or sachs? gold plated conestoga wagon or ferrari? *** do those two have in common? one builds race bikes. one produces hideous monstrosities for a hobby.

flame away,

jerk

SamIAm
02-02-2006, 04:25 PM
bayliss or sachs? gold plated conestoga wagon or ferrari? *** do those two have in common? one builds race bikes. one produces hideous monstrosities for a hobby.

flame away,

jerk

Let's preserve the order to be clear.
bayliss or sachs? gold plated conestoga wagon or ferrari? *** do those two have in common? one produces hideous monstrosities for a hobby, one builds race bikes.

jerk
02-02-2006, 04:36 PM
bayliss or sachs? gold plated conestoga wagon or ferrari? *** do those two have in common? one produces hideous monstrosities for a hobby, one builds race bikes.

word imho bro. thought it was pretty self evident who was who no matter which way you added it up.....

jerk

Serpico
02-02-2006, 04:49 PM

flame away,

jerk

omg, rofl lololol :p

oh yeah, :beer:

Serpico
02-02-2006, 05:29 PM

Order is restored.

And to the unbelievers and skeptics: I don't know whether it's the mustache or the shorts--but it seems like more than a coincidence. Also, consider the fact that the pic below of e-RICHIE, from correction bessasandackerman.com, is labelled "leavingworkcirca1980.jpg"--a quick check at imdb.com shows this as the same year that Magnum P.I. was first broadcast.

Explain that. :D

e-RICHIE
02-02-2006, 05:31 PM
Order is restored.

And to the unbelievers and skeptics: I don't know whether it's the mustache or the shorts--but it seems like more than a coincidence. Also, consider the fact that the pic below of e-RICHIE, from wolljersey.org, is labelled "leavingworkcirca1980.jpg"--a quick check at imdb.com shows this as the same year that Magnum P.I. was first broadcast.

Explain that. :D

my pic is on fletcher's page and i don't
have a check here for it? send the link.
sleeping with fish, etcetera. atmo mp. :beer:

tigersnkoi
02-02-2006, 05:58 PM
Very well, I am learning fast in this crash course brought on by what seemed like a simple question. Actually, from what I have garnered online, simplicity really is the answer, Sachs, aka e-Richie or Nagasawa. Being that I am an American, I think I better stay close to home an hope that I can get on the three year waiting list. At least I'm a quick study. :bike:

Dragonsnkoi@sbcglobal.net

Serpico
02-02-2006, 06:01 PM
send the link

just Ferrari
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=12428&highlight=magnum

Selleck link confirmed--story takes on another angle
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=157440&postcount=6

four degrees of separation

e-RICHIE
Signature Frame
Ferrari
Tom Selleck

If you have a helicopter (http://www.timvp.com/magnum8.jpg) , and/or John Hillerman (http://www.magnumpi.it/images/s-higginscast.JPG) running your shop--well, then the ruse is over.

e-RICHIE
02-02-2006, 06:05 PM
i meant a wooljersey.com link

Just Ferrari
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=12428&highlight=magnum

Selleck link confirmed--story takes on another angle
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=157440&postcount=6

four degrees of separation

e-RICHIE
Signature Frame
Ferrari
Tom Selleck

If you have a helicopter (http://www.timvp.com/magnum8.jpg) , and/or John Hillerman (http://www.magnumpi.it/images/s-higginscast.JPG) running your shop--well, then the ruse is over.

Serpico
02-02-2006, 06:07 PM
ahhh, you're right

it was an iBoB link--my mistake :o

http://bessasandackerman.com/bob/e-richie/

e-RICHIE
02-02-2006, 06:07 PM
ahhh, you're right

it was an iBoB link--my mistake :o

'nuff said.
it's my page atmo cheers. :beer:

shoe
02-03-2006, 12:24 AM
i was just going over this with a friend tonight who wanted to order a frame. the more you look the more amazing bikes there are out there. not heaps of builders but quite a # doing nice work each with there own charm. the ant bikes always seem to get left off. and they just seem like nice practical no bs kind of bikes.also the mention of jeff jones---he is doing some really interesting stuff. imagine if you put dave kirk and jeff jones together the things that would come out. for those that are into mountain biking just a look at the new jones stuff makes you really wonder what they are riding like..seems like a true artisan builder. the thought going into it and the detail. the constructuer (?) feel to building a mountain bike seems pretty cool. this site has been truly educational as to the finer points of custom bicycles. just the forum members alone that participate here and build beautiful bikes. interesting...........dave

Serpico
02-03-2006, 10:37 AM
i was just going over this with a friend tonight who wanted to order a frame. the more you look the more amazing bikes there are out there. not heaps of builders but quite a # doing nice work each with there own charm. the ant bikes always seem to get left off. and they just seem like nice practical no bs kind of bikes.also the mention of jeff jones---he is doing some really interesting stuff. imagine if you put dave kirk and jeff jones together the things that would come out. for those that are into mountain biking just a look at the new jones stuff makes you really wonder what they are riding like..seems like a true artisan builder. the thought going into it and the detail. the constructuer (?) feel to building a mountain bike seems pretty cool. this site has been truly educational as to the finer points of custom bicycles. just the forum members alone that participate here and build beautiful bikes. interesting...........dave

I think ANT is a great idea, and I like the industrial non-aesthetic of their frames. I think the emphasis on bikes as transportation is great--who would've thought ;) you can use a bike to get around town, or go to work, etc.

Any ANT owners on the forum? It would be great to hear some firsthand info.