PDA

View Full Version : Campy UT Crank Bearing Replacement Question

endosch2
09-05-2009, 03:33 PM
How often do UT Crank users replace the bearings?

I have a creak coming from the BB, I took the crank set off today and I am fairly confident the bearings are toast - there are some areas where it feels like they feel rough, even though I just re-packed them with grease. I have eliminated chain ring bolts and cups as a cause of the creak. I also removed the cups and used Ti-prep on the cups, thus eliminating that potential noise maker.

I have about 4000 miles on this crank set. What has been everyone elses experience with these? How often have you replaced the bearings?

davidlee
09-05-2009, 08:41 PM
Mine didn't last too long at all. I got caught in a bad rainstorm and the next day the crank wouldn't turn by hand.
I don't remember the mileage but the replacement was a straight forward job and packed lots of grease in there upon re-assembly. No problems since.
d

bigbill
09-05-2009, 08:52 PM
I used a Centaur UT crankset for two years with no problems but I never rode in a downpour, just the occassional wet road. When I took it off to replace it with a Record 11 UT, it still felt really smooth. My rain bike/commuter sees the downpours and rainy rides but it has a Phil Wood stainless bottom bracket with HD seals. One of biggest gripes I've heard about UT cranksets is how the bearings aren't that protected from the elements. I've ridden with Davidlee in Charleston and it rains so hard there you sometimes just have to stop because you can't see. I live in the PNW and it never rains hard, just constant and light through the winter.

Neelenose
09-06-2009, 05:34 PM
You do have a drain hole in the BB, right? And you'd better check your headset if your seeing this in your BB. Good thing for all of us to do.

mcteague
09-06-2009, 05:54 PM
I have an early Chorus UT CT crank and it never felt all that smooth from the beginning. Lately I have had some loud creaks. I cleaned everything out and the bearings looked okay. I packed in some grease and it is quiet again. I still wonder if, after several years, they should be replaced.

Tim

Dave
09-08-2009, 04:30 PM
Other people's experience doesn't mean much. Too many variables in the installation, maintenance and riding conditions. You are supposed to repack the bearings every 3,000 miles or so. Repacking after heavy rain is a must.

If the bearings are shot, you might consider buying Campy CULT bearings from the SR group of another brand of ceramic hybrid bearing from Enduro.

http://www.enduroforkseals.com/id229.html

http://www.totalcycling.com/index.php/manufacturer/Campagnolo_Spares/BB_SR_CULT.html

With creaks, I always lube the chainring mounting bolt areas first. I've also had creaks that turned out to be the rear skewer in need of tightening and lube. Sounded like the BB, but had nothing to do with it.

Worn beaing are likely to be sloppy but nto creak unless there's not lube left.

I also grease the bearing OD and cup ID when I install the cranks. Grease all metal to metal contact areas.